emusers' standard lecture on good free stuff

Comments

• Sarah McLachlan - Forgiveness, song and video from her upcoming album. Today only is my guess.
  • I was thrilled to learn that Alejandro Escovedo is taper-friendly, with a nice collection of shows at the Free Music Archive. With a new album coming out at the end of June, this is a great time to explore his live material.
  • edited June 2010
    This is very cool: a Bang on a Can All Stars concert from Danish National Radio. (Sorry for the errors, and thanks for the editing, BN.)
  • edited June 2010
    @ Bad Thoughts. . .
    VERY cool ! - thank you very much indeed.

- a minor correction: its actually Bang on a Can All Stars.

- setlist:
    Pelle Gudmundsen-Holmgreen: Convex-Concave-Concord (18 MB)
    David Lang: Sunray (15 MB)
    Michael Gordon: For Madeline (11 MB)
    Julie Wolfe: Believing (11 MB)
    Steve Reich: Electric Counterpoint (21 MB)
    Brian Eno: Bernie Airlines give you so much more (8 MB)
  • edited June 2010
    @Bad Thoughts, thanks for that link! :-D
    @Brighternow, thanks for the track listing, made my life much easier!
  • I'd mentioned experimental music forum ihatemusic in this thread earlier, but here's a link to all four of its free compilations from members. Usual suspects like brighternow, etc, should enjoy them.
  • edited June 2010
    The 2010 NxEW Showcase Sampler. "On Thursday, June 17, 2010 at The Gladstone Hotel in Toronto Canadian music blog NxEW.ca is hosting a stellar showcase as part of NXNE that features some of the countries hottest bands. In conjunction with that showcase they've put together the following sampler that includes previously unreleased material to wet your whistle!"

Tracklist:

01. Volcanoless in Canada - A World Soaked in Gold (Siesta)
    02. Volcanoless in Canada - Mexican Circus (March to the Holly Dome)
    03. The Mountains & The Trees - Up & Down
    04. The Mountains & The Trees - Hospital View
    05. Olenka and The Autumn Lovers - Flash in the Pan
    06. Olenka and the Autumn Lovers - Iron Pump
    07. Rock Plaza Central - Anthem for the Already Defeated (Demo)
    08. Rock Plaza Central - We Are Full of Light (That Blinds Us at the Moment of Our Most Needing)
    09. The Coast - Tigerlily
    10. A Horse and His Boy - In the Lights
    11. A Horse and His Boy - Home
    12. Amos the Transparent - After All That, It's Come to This (Featuring Amy Millan)
    13. Amos the Transparent - It's a Beautiful Life (Acoustic - Previously Unreleased)
  • Amazon's Freebie page for this week. Sia's on the list, but I expect to see this song as well from eMu, Starbucks, etc.
  • A free contemporary classical/experimental sampler Innova 2010: Music With Sound is available today.

I'm quite surprised and thrilled a piece by a very good friend and ex-roomate is on there! (Keith Carpenter's "The Devil His Due" tr 4)
  • X5 Free Sampler - The Classical Period, a five track sampler with Mozart, Beethoven and three others.

Amazon also has a list of all their Past Classics at 99 cents a track. These are listed as "sale" items, although they are the same long-track recordings that were on eMu.
  • Vanguard Sampler, includes one from the Indigo Girls. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Sample This Sh*t - TBD Records Sampler. Not sure what that missing letter is, might be a dipthong.
  • Dacapo's free dl of the month is up: Kuhlau's Complete Sonatas for Flute and Piano. I'm listening to them now, and the recording upholds Dacapo's reputation for quality.
    Not sure what that missing letter is, might be a dipthong.
    Methinks it's a palatal click.
  • edited July 2010
    I think the * indicates a "swallowed vowel" like the rappers do when they perform on TV. A swallowed vowel is similar to a reduced vowel, it's just reduced all the way.
  • Owen Pallet's "Lewis Takes Off His Shirt" EP is being given away by Domino.
  • edited July 2010
    In case anyone missed it, Side One Dummy Records Summer Sampler has a nice tracklist.....

Requiem For A Dying Song - Flogging Molly
    The Spirit Of Jazz - The Gaslight Anthem
    Lightning In A Bottle - Audra Mae
    Clap Your Hands - The Reverend Peyton's Big Damn Band
    Disco Ghetto - Jesse Malin and The St. Marks Social
    The Trench - Chuck Ragan
    Salt And Sand - Nathen Maxwell & The Original Bunny Gang
    HeartBPM - Fake Problems
    The System - The Black Pacific
    We Are The One - Anti-Flag
    We Are All We Have - The Casualties
    Basement Royalty - Broadway Calls
    Describing The Sky - Big D And The Kids Table

Amazon also has a nice track from Asleep at the Wheel, with Willie Nelson
  • edited January 2012
    Nate_Wooley_-_Porter_Records_Showcase_live_at_ISSUE_Project_Room_-_20100406232140945.jpg?width=290&height=290
    Porter Records Showcase @ FMA.
    (Nate Wooley, Matt Bauder, Katherine Young, Blarvuster)
  • edited August 2010
    NPR has kindly left some of the sets from this year's Newport Folk Festival for downloading:

Blitzen Trapper
    AA Bondy
    Calexico
    Horse Feathers
    Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings
    Low Anthem
    John Prine
    Punch Brothers

There are some other sets that can be streamed.

---
    edited by Dr. Mutex:
    If you subscribe to the All Songs Considered Concert Feed you can have your hard drive automatically filled with concerts.
  • Dacapo's free dl for August is up: some works by light composer Jacob Gade.

From allmusic
    Silent movie composer Jacob Gade has the blessing -- and the misfortune -- of composing what has to be the most popular piece of Danish music ever composed, the tango Jalousie. Written in 1925 to accompany the Douglas Fairbanks picture Don Q, the piece swiftly became an international favorite and was helped in the United States by an excellent 1935 recording by Arthur Fiedler and the Boston Pops. However, Gade himself remained little known outside of Denmark, and in some places his credit was confused with Niels Gade, a composer of an earlier era not related to him. Danish label DaCapo has helped rectify this situation through recording Jalousie and several of Gade's other creations on Jacob Gade: Jealousy -- Suites, Tangos and Waltzes, featuring Matthias Aeschbacher and the Odense Symphony Orchestra.

One might assume that such a collection could only consist of such empty fripperies that only a listener with a permanent sweet tooth embedded in their musical taste buds could be capable of enjoying it. However, this is one of the most purposeful and entertaining recordings DaCapo has ever done; Gade's music is inspired, gracious, memorable, and beautifully scored. Anyone who loves late Viennese operetta or even American musicals of the early twentieth century should have no problem getting this album, which contains a short ballet, two orchestral suites, the Rhapsodietta (1931) (which is written in the manner of a potpourri and has a great trombone part), and three waltzes. Aeschbacher handles the music with great care and seems to be aware of Gade's cinematic leanings, as sweeps of large crescendos within these scores come off with a sort of widescreen grandeur. This SACD version does not contain any additional music over the original 1998 release, but puts forward this important recording of light music in better sound than ever before.
  • Amazon has a Tru Thoughts Jazz Sampler, with eleven tracks, four of which have Nostalgia 77 in some form, along with a Quantic Soul Orchestra track.
  • I was exploring the Music Maker label, which eMusic just picked up, and was overjoyed to see how much free music is available for download on the label's website. Indeed, it goes on for pages, pages, etc/, and includes some stuff by the Carolina Chocolate Drops. This is definitely worth exploring for Southern Blues and Old Timey.
  • National Geographic World Music Sampler, a couple of tracks each from Bibi Tanga & The Selenites, dePedro, Grupo Fantasma, Blakan Beat Box, and Forro in the Dark.

Music World's Essence Collection. 15 tracks, but I am not familiar with any of these bands. Beyonc
  • Plong42: I tried to listen to that Beyonc
  • edited August 2010
    Best of Yep Roc Singles
    ...with thanks to Amazon's "Customers who bought this item also bought" ribbon.
  • Free EP on eMu from Suuns: Link

They're on Secretly Canadian, so I'm cautiously optimistic.

Craig