emusers' standard lecture on good free stuff

Comments

• That Tompkins Square sampler was (is?) free on Amazon too, for those of us without an eMu account any more.

Craig
  • Free from Phish, Live Bait Vol. 3, disc one with a fifty something minute ling version of Runaway Jim.
  • 51ijOW5MNJL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

A sampler from Bloodshot Records, americana or alt-country, whatever they are calling it these days. Tunes from Alejandro Escovedo, Bobby Bare, Rosie Flores, and Old 97, among others.
  • edited December 2010
    konntinent.jpg

free Konntinent album, along with a whole bunch of interesting looking free stuff on the Phantom Channel netlabel, the only downside is that they are all track-by-track downloads - or you can get zips at internet archive.
  • Eight CDs worth of tracks from 2010 at Fluxblog!
    Very varied stuff, but a lot of real goodies.

The torrent link wasn't working for me, but the individual downloads were fine.
    Also, if you use the mirror links you can get more than one at a time.
  • edited December 2010
    Albert Berger, Israeli Jazz musician. He has a number of free tracks on this page, they sound great.

His bio says: "Albert’s eclectic tastes are evident in his own compositions. Listening to his energetic, soulful pieces one hears a confluence of styles. A “World Music” that the term “world music” simply doesn’t do justice to – bebop, hard bop and free jazz, contemporary classical and ethnic music, progressive rock and electronica – delivered in an indefinable style that is pure Albert Beger."

/edit - samples are at 128K, caveat emptor.
  • X-breed_-_alt.jpg

Leapfrogging from Bad-Thoughts' rec. for Single Bullet Theory, found this incredible garage/punk/free jazz comp.:
    This 1976 compilation was transcribed directly from one of the earliest two-sided EvaTone Sound Sheets (pressed on translucent red plastic); the original master has been lost. One thousand copies were distributed in three-color, silk-screened gatefold sleeves.
    We now refer to recordings made between 1970 and 1981 by the following artists and all the bands descended from the Artifacts/yclept community as "Analog Music from a Lost World." Newer, more comprehensive collections will follow this one.
    Record conceived and produced by Dennis Madigan, drummer for X-Breed and later, Single Bullet Theory.
  • Owen Pallett - Export (Demo EP)
    An EP of demos, covers, instrumentals and miscellany
    Free to download, enjoy and appropriate
    Happy holidays!
  • edited March 2011
    kpu107.jpg?cnt=0
  • @Brighternow Two artists that I've paid money for? Together? Free? Happy day. Thanks for finding this.
  • hey admins, could you take my name off this thread? it's more of an everybody (mostly brighternow) kind of thread.
  • Impossible Ark Label Compilation
    For this festive giveaway we've chosen some of our favourite tracks from the Impossible Ark catalogue and two tracks from A & R Ben Lamdin's own Nostalgia 77 project. In the new year expect more from the Rhythmagic Orchestra, Nostalgia 77, Allsopp, Vosloo & more!
  • edited December 2010
    (Cross-posted for anyone's future reference from 'now listening' thread.)
    Wasn't sure what to expect here. The title is in an invented language from the early 19th century, the accompanying description is esoteric, talking about ""transcoding" different aspects of reality". The lengthy accompanying PDF contains technical descriptions of how tracks were generated e.g. by translating the lyrics into morse code and then converting the code into notes and adding environmental recordings of "a hydraulic shovel machine, tearing down a house to build a helicopter platform," or by recording "my daughter jumping up and down on a kind of giant glockenspiel" (I am not making this up). Given all that, I more than half expected it to be a train wreck, musically.

It actually turns out to be listenable and pleasant, if eccentric, on the headphones, much more accessible than the above description would suggest. Quite enjoyable - I actually have it on repeat right now. And it's a free download (link below). (And if you are into the geeky details of how each track got made the PDF is actually quite a diverting read).

00_-_Solmis-olre_Domir-emi_-_Image_1_Front.jpg

Solmis'olre Domir'emi by Visuelle Musik
  • thom - Thanks a ton for pointing out the Owen Pallett EP. I'm 99.9% sure that's Shara Worden of My Brightest Diamond singing on "Export 3 (The great elsewhere)", and if so I sure hope those two collaborate more. What a freakin' great combo.

Craig
  • edited December 2010
    Free NPR sampler via iTunes. "Folk music with strings, electronic soundscapes with beats, rousing Latin pop, world-spanning jazz, blistering rock, timeless soul, choral music and more." There is an Aloe Blacc song, one by Rudresh, and 10 more I am too lazy to list. http://www.npr.org/2010/12/21/131333323/download-the-best-new-music-of-2010?sc=nl&cc=mn-20101221

edit, found the list!

Aloe Blacc, "You Make Me Smile"
    Archie Bronson, "Outfit Hoola"
    Buke and Gass, "Revel In Contempt"
    Flying Lotus, "Do the Astral Plane"
    Jeremy Messersmith, "The Reluctant Graveyard"
    Lost In The Trees, "All Alone In an Empty House"
    Lower Dens, "I Get Nervous"
    Rita Indiana & Los Misterios, "El Juidero"
    Rudresh Mahanthappa & Bunky Green, "Summit"
    Sharon Van Etten, "One Day"
    Sondra Radvanovsky, "Il trovatore"
    Stile Antico, "Ave Maria"
  • LUXXAr051201-01_thumbnail.jpg
    At Dawn’s Harbor is an amazing collaboration between four artists culminating in one complete piece of art. Expect to traverse across the oceans to some far away shore…
    Great shoegazer-inspired ambient. Completely glacial. What Moon and the Melodies would have sounded like with Kevin Shields rather than Robin Guthrie.
  • edited December 2010
    This is brand new (I guess) - anyway, I got $2 extra in my mp3 wallet to spend.

Free Amazon $2 MP3 Download Credit

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=tsm_1_tw_dmgivemp3s_20101223?t=slickdeals&docId=1000646811&tag=slickdeals

Use code GIVEMP3S and get $2 good for albums or songs at Amazon MP3. Use the link above for instructions on how to apply the code to your account.
  • Thanks for the Christmas present bremble! I was just going in to Amazon to download a couple Christmas songs - you saved me some money!

(Note to self: Always check emusers before making any music purchase.)
  • zym025_600.jpg - Zymogen 2010.
  • I was going over my SFL list to decide on what may be my last eMu downloads ever, and I discovered that eMusic is giving away the latest album by A Sunny Day in Glasgow. Apparently this is not a mistake - it's also being given away on the band's very own website as well as Amazon.com and OtherMusic.com. But it's not listed in eMu's Free Tracks list, nor have I seen an e-mail about it.

AA.jpg

It's a pretty good record, too!
  • I think that I was charged for grabbing that Sunny Day album from emusic. Anyone else see that problem?
  • Sorry, I DL'd from the band website. I've got to the point in the last month where I am recognizing emusic customer service reps by name, so glad to avoid the loop this time.
  • I've just DL'ed with no cash on my account, so no problems here.
  • edited December 2010
    This podcast contains a mix of a good portion of Ametsub's excellent The Nothings of the North album. I was actually surprised enough that so much of it was there for free that I wrote to the artist to check if it was legit. He said he had understood it would be streamed, but not for download, and was going to talk to Sgustok. So as far as I can tell, we are supposed to be able to listen to this, just not keep it. I do suggest you give it a listen - very nice glitsch/jazz/electronic - and then see of you want to get the album from another source. In my case the free file did him good, as I bought both his albums after downloading it, so I am hoping I am also doing him little wrong by posting the link here.

sgustok-magazine-podcast-002-ametsub-450x450.png

300x300.jpg

One of the songs has a rather wonderful video.

Another thing posted on Sgustok that may be worth checking out if you like more dubby ambient is the krill.minima (= Marsen Jules) Urlaub auf Balkonien album, originally released for free on Thinner.
  • edited December 2010
    artworks-000002457649-xiy5cv-crop.jpg?721653
    - Longing for summer and birds singing. . . . .(sigh !)
  • Did I mention the Bloodshot Winter Sampler yet? Eight tracks from Jon Langford; Justin Townes Earle; Whitey Morgan and the 78's; Ben Weaver; Andre Williams; Blacks; Graham Parker; and Deadstring Brothers.
  • edited January 2011
    I have not listened to this yet, found it at 7digital, but it is at least currently Free - Tratore Basics - 30 Women From Brazil , a sampler comp.

While I'm at it there are at least 4 or 5 TuneCore Samplers, like such - this one for Rock , all titled Experience Music - A TuneCore blah blah Sampler. They're all listed on the chart of free songs.
  • BestOfBootie2010_CD.jpg
    Damn fine mashups.
  • Ohh, the mashup looks cool. Got the unmixed to put on my ipod - something's wrong with track #13 but I will carry on without it.