Massive drop at the other place

Comments

• thinkin' it's EMI, if this is anything at all.
  • As I've put on Daniel's thread at the other place
    Well, I've not got the message and I don't want to either! Does anyone in Europe really want the increase in prices that will inevitably follow, just to download Robbie Williams and others like that

That'll upset a few people!!!
  • Without credits, prices can float as high as they want.
  • Indeed BT. Currently we pay a fixed price (42p or 0.49 Euros) for all tracks, no album pricing. But many of us are in grandfathered plans with generous bonuses to reflect what happened before the changes last year. So I still get 100 tracks for £19.99 per month. But I know it will happen sooner or later...
  • Considering the weakness of EMI in the past year, it's possible that the conglomerate won't exercise much leverage with eMu, unlike UMG. I wouldn't expect any dramatic changes. Indeed, prices have been going up on their own without a new major. I've seen more and more albums above US $5.99 or 49 cents per track than ever before--albums that are clearly not new or "hits." New Rounder put a bad taste into many mouths.

I'm sure that another discussion about what music is worth is bound to erupt, both here and at the other place. Personally, I tend to find the endless defenses of eMusic as a "good deal" to be offensive. Major labels already did a great job of getting music into my hands without eMusic, but because of the rising costs at eMusic (and the annual I'm locked into), I spend more money on the same volume of music.
  • That's what I am afraid will also happen to us. Generally I can buy new many releases from majors fairly cheaply when they come out by watching Amazon and 7 digital offers. My £19.99 per month will drop from 100 tracks to nearer 50 I suspect when the inevitable happens
  • Personally, I tend to find the endless defenses of eMusic as a "good deal" to be offensive.
    BT, I'm not sure I follow - since the only reasonable justification for an emu subscription is that it still offers lower average prices than competitors (aka a "good deal"), that must mean any non-negative discussion of eMusic offends you. :)
  • Yeah, but where is the elfin music
  • an unlimited supply? and there is no reason why? EMI.

an unlimited amount? to many outlets in and out? EMI.

an unlimited addition? in an unlimited amount? EMI?

goodbye.
  • any non-negative discussion of eMusic offends you. :)
    Not yet 9 am, and already frisky?

To be precise, I take issue with the changes. Indeed, it's still possible to strategize to get lower prices, but more often than not getting good deals requires embracing those same competitors--getting free tracks, comparing album and track prices, anticipating monthly and weekly deals. (I'm waiting for the new Sarah Jarosz to be Amz's dodt.) The more I must look outside to rationalize spending on music, the more it's clear that the changes to eMu haven't helped to lower costs even if it provides those majors at a slightly lower price. Time will tell whether economical music buying is possible without eMu.
  • New Rounder put a bad taste into many mouths.

Ain't that the truth. I have continued to find correlations on other labels, Sony, Columbia, of similarly aged product - there was some 1971 Earl Scruggs release that comes to mind - that are way overpriced for old s**t with few tracks and only 30-40 minute run times, you know like those artifacts they called LP's. In days of yesteryear, or even just last year, I would have scoffed some of these up in a heartbeat for 8 credits or whatever, but now they are just a beat. Being as I am sitting on a minor mountain of digital downloads from the previous several years, much of which has not received the attention it deserves, I am just not getting excited about any overpriced re-releases. I think the industry is looking to make the digital domain, now that they have realized somewhat belatedly it is the future, another high priced sandbox, and you know what they say about sandboxes.
  • No one wants to discuss the obvious: there's now a cheaper place to complete our Guvera albums.
  • Well, Freshly Ripped has now become 23,931 albums so something's up.
  • I think I can confirm with all certainty: $6.49 is the new $5.99.
  • I have been poking around the Blue Note releases, prices are disappointing--if you can say that when you expected to be disappointed. A shade below iTunes/Amazon. I believe the current word for this is, "Meh."

On the other hand, check out the new Alternative/Punk bands on EMI, like Cliff Richard and Canned Heat! (To be fair, the Buzzcocks are on the prev page.)
  • edited May 2011
    Disappointing - one would hope that something like this aged Eddie Cochran 2-fer here would at least be more of a deal with 24 tracks but it's $8.40. Bah humbug.
    Ditto on this SINGLE CD - forgive me for shouting - Stray Cats Retrospective - $8.40??!!
  • Their editorials will be helpful in looking for stuff over at Guvera- like Merle Haggard
  • So are all EMI sublabels arriving? I notice from the global EMI artist list here that we might get Victoria Beckham, Jessica Simpson and Kevin Federline, all of which I know will be favorites on the boards. Will there be more Pink Floyd? David Bowie? Marillion?
    As usual with major label drops I can see very little that I might want thus far.
  • Yeah, to their credit, they are ready with the EMI guides: http://www.emusic.com/features/hub/emi/index.html.

Moderator message is kind of sad/amusing: No new price increases! Never mind that these prices are generally 0.50 above the "standard" price. I wonder how they convince themselves that members won't notice this stuff when they try to put it across?
  • Looks like most of the XTC catalogue has finally arrived (via the 2001 Caroline-Astralwerks reissues), so that's all that really matters, right?
  • My all time favorite rock album (and not because of the picture).
  • edited May 2011
    Bowie at the Beeb $6.49 - that's not bad. Might be an oops! It's the MMRX version - if you want it get it before they replace it with the higher priced new version.

FWIW, this Gary Moore live album has arrived -Blues Alive - which is an album I am very fond of, and if I had to recommend just one Gary Moore blues album this would be it. Unless it was this double CD, one studio comp, one live comp, for $9.74 - The Best of the Blues which is a very fine selection as well.
  • Ditto on this SINGLE CD - forgive me for shouting - Stray Cats Retrospective - $8.40??!!

BigD, it is "Classic Rock." All of a buck less than at Amazon.
  • edited May 2011
    OK, lots of Bowie, more Marillion than anyone will ever need, Japan's back catalog. Ultravox. Fad Gadget. (No Pink Floyd to speak of). Turns out I was more EMI's friend than I realized during a certain subset of my teen years. Can. No Pink Floyd to speak of. But there are some things for me to consider - I see some nostalgia-focused booster packs in my future...
  • Wire, Blur, Magazine, Buzzcocks, Roxy Music, David Sylvian, Kate Bush, Punilux's Laughing Academy with bonus tracks... It's a veritable treasure trove of stuff I already have!

That's not to say there aren't a few things that I overlooked back in the day that I might pick up in the near future, before I cancel eMu for good. I have to admit, this does make me glad I didn't cancel 2 months ago when I came off 90-day hold.
  • Also a veritable treasure trove of stuff I got for free from Guvera during the Great Guvera EMI Giveaway.

That was a good time.

Craig
  • What Craig said. Impressed to note I have most of the Blue Note stuff I would want (which was a lot).
  • edited May 2011
    Me too. I'm sure I could find more that I do want, but I still haven't spent enough time with (or finished retagging) the stuff I have.

Edit: one I'd get that wasn't at Guvera, but I since found it on cd: Out to Lunch.
  • Oh, I guarantee I could still find more that I want. Not at the eMu prices, though.

Craig
  • edited May 2011
    12 tracks, 29 minutes, $6.49 - even Etta James can't make that seem righteous, at least to me.

Never mind, we've got The Spice Girls - all is forgiven. How could I have been so shallow? Which of yous been holding out on me?

In all seriousness, this, however is total horsecrap - Teddy Thompson, $6.49, 10 tracks, $0.79/track so you're saving money - wow - so why make the tenth track at 7 minute something album only? This kind of nonsense is obviously the way of the future at iTunes Lite with the snarky dysfunctional website. OK, I'm done....for now. This album's from 2000!! Wait, I was done.

For any who don't have the benefit of Mutantis eMu listing for today -link.