Emusers.org is down, we hope temporarily. For now, emusers.net is where we live. This may revert.
Emusers Exclusive Bang on a Can & Cantaloupe Music Thread
- Inspired by the brand new Gordon, Lang & Wolfe album, Shelter.
- I thought that this is really the best way to present a truely wonderful album and potential cornerstone in the BOAC catalogue.
I will probably continue this by posting other Cantloupe artists.
ETA: Previous BOAC Threads: The Big Beautiful Dark and Scary Thread - (Bang on a Can 25. Anniversary) - Bang on a Can All Stars
- Bang on a Can All-stars - "Brian Eno: Music for Airports (Live)"
- "Cantaloupe Music is a record label founded in March 2001 created by the three founders of New York's legendary Bang on a Can Festival: Michael Gordon, David Lang, and Julia Wolfe, and Bang on a Can Managing Director Kenny Savelson. Cantaloupe Music has made a massive impact in the new music community, and been recognized by critics and fans around the globe for its adventurous sounds. Its goal is to provide a home for "music that slips between the cracks." In its decade long history, Cantaloupe has repeatedly received "Top 10 of the Year" accolades from publications such as The New York Times, The Guardian (UK), The Wire, the New Yorker, Newsday, the Washington Post, the Boston Globe, Mojo, the San Jose Mercury News, Gramophone, Billboard, Stereophile, and Time Out NY. Its releases have also been featured on CNN, PitchforkMedia, NPR, PaperThinWalls, BBC, and other major TV/radio/online outlets.
Cantaloupe Music is distributed by Naxos of America and music can also be purchased on the Bang on a Can Store website.
Through Cantaloupe Music, Bang on a Can continues its mission to spread the gospel of risk-taking new music. Bang on a Can—dedicated to the work of composers across the entire aesthetic spectrum—has created a home for musical inventors, misfits, and pioneers. Founded in 1987 by Gordon, Lang, Wolfe the non-profit has grown from a one-day festival to a multi-faceted organization. Their decision to launch Cantaloupe Music represented the culmination of 15 years of ground-breaking concerts and a decade of successful recording projects on multiple major record labels."
Artists: Alarm Will Sound - Bang on a Can - Iva Bittová - Arnold Dreyblatt - ETHEL - Dominic Frasca - Michael Gordon - gutbucket - Michael Harrison - Icebreaker - Phil Kline - David Lang - Lisa Moore - So Percussion - Toby Twining - Julia Wolfe - Evan Ziporyn
- And many others . . .
The Founders: David Lang, Michael Gordon & Julia Wolfe
- "Bang on a Can is dedicated to making music new. Since its first Marathon concert in 1987, Bang on a Can has been creating an international community dedicated to innovative music, wherever it is found. With adventurous programs, it commissions new composers, performs, presents, and records new work, develops new audiences, and educates the musicians of the future. Bang on a Can is building a world in which powerful new musical ideas flow freely across all genres and borders. Bang on a Can plays “a central role in fostering a new kind of audience that doesn’t concern itself with boundaries. If music is made with originality and integrity, these listeners will come.” (The New York Times)
Bang on a Can celebrated 25 years during 2012, having grown from a one-day New York-based Marathon concert (on Mother’s Day in 1987 in a SoHo art gallery) to a multi-faceted performing arts organization with a broad range of year-round international activities. “When we started Bang on a Can in 1987, in an art gallery in SoHo, we never imagined that our one-day, 12-hour marathon festival of mostly unknown music would morph into a giant international organization dedicated to the support of experimental music, wherever we would find it,” write Bang on a Can Co-Founders Michael Gordon, David Lang and Julia Wolfe. “But it has, and we are so gratified to be still hard at work, all these years later. The reason is really clear to us – we started this organization because we believed that making new music is a utopian act—that people needed to hear this music and they needed to hear it presented in the most persuasive way, with the best players, with the best programs, for the best listeners, in the best context. Our commitment to changing the environment for this music has kept us busy and growing for the last 25 years, and we are not done yet.”
Current projects include the annual Bang on a Can Marathon; The People's Commissioning Fund, a membership program to commission emerging composers; the Bang on a Can All-Stars, who tour to major festivals and concert venues around the world every year; recording projects; the Bang on a Can Summer Music Festival, a professional development program for young composers and performers led by today’s pioneers of experimental music; Asphalt Orchestra, Bang on a Can’s extreme street band that offers mobile performances re-contextualizing unusual music; Found Sound Nation, a new technology-based musical outreach program now partnering with the State Department of the United States of America to create Onebeat, a revolutionary, post-political residency program that uses music to bridge the gulf between young American musicians and young musicians from developing countries; cross-disciplinary collaborations and projects with DJs, visual artists, choreographers, filmmakers and more. Each new program has evolved to answer specific challenges faced by today’s musicians, composers and audiences, in order to make innovative music widely accessible and wildly received. Bang on a Can’s inventive and aggressive approach to programming and presentation has created a large and vibrant international audience made up of people of all ages who are rediscovering the value of contemporary music."
Cantaloupe @ Bandcamp - Cantaloupe @ Soundcloud - Twitter