Wanda Jackson

kezkez
edited July 2013 in Country & Folk
Wow - I was vaguely aware that Wanda Jackson, country/rockabilly singer from the '50s, was still recording, but I had not really checked her recent stuff out much. Just listened to samples from her 2012 album, Unfinished Business, and it's amazing what this 74 year old woman can still do. Interesting youtube video that gives some info on the album. It was produced by Justin Townes Earle. cool lady! If you like rockabilly, you'll like this album.

Comments

• Wanda is cool. I had just happened to notice this weekend that the latest comp label mentioned in the box set thread has one of her old stuff, Wanda Jackson - Rock'N'Roll 1954-1961, 83 tracks for I think $6.49 - that gal could rock. I renew tomorrow and I'm probably going to get it since I only have some of her tracks on various artist comps - will report.
    600x600.jpg
  • edited July 2013
    Kez, the Youtube link goes to the album page @ Amazon.

I remember her from the hitlists with pop/rock standards such as "Shaking All Over" and "Stupid Cupid"
    (On the album posted by BigD)
  • That same comp ^^^ is $6.99 at amazon; for those who don't emusic anymore.
  • Here's a link for the Marmot Music label at Amazon - they have some selections that eMu does not (yet?) that are interesting.
  • @BN - thanks for pointing out my goof. I think I posted that using my IPad and I mess up a lot trying to cut and paste links when I do that. I meant to link to this Youtube link.
  • edited July 2013
    BTW here's the box the above comp is derived from it seems - Four Classic Albums Plus..., just for reference. One of the albums is this one with a very cute cover:
    51c7EeRSIUL._SY300__PJautoripBadge,BottomRight,4,-40_OU11__.jpg

Started listening to the Rock'N'Roll collection - like the countryish, love the rocking. Read that her producer wanted to make her records sound more like Gene Vincent and the Bluecaps (no bad thing) - wish I knew who was playing the wild guitar parts on Hard Headed Woman. Found this Youtube video of the song and I'm pretty sure from the grainy video that the gentleman with the double-necked guitar and fleet fingers is Joe Maphis. Here is a video of Joe Maphis just for fun, and there is a truckload of hot shit country picking players listed on that page too - Joe Maphis with Larry Collins is highly recommended.
    Wow, check out Thumbs Carlille in this video playing a Strat in his lap - I'm amazed.

Here is a very cool collection page from Youtube called KoolKlipsFromDeke - Deke being Deke Dickerson all around roots-rock whiz. There's classic clips and stuff of his. So this is how people spend hours on Youtube - I forget sometimes this is out there.