Diana Jones

kezkez
edited July 2013 in Country & Folk
Review2718_diana_jones_-_museum_of_appalachia_recordings.jpg

I have just now discovered this most wonderful Appalachian/folk singer. She has a very distinct voice which perfectly suits her music style. I've been busy exploring her discography but her latest album, Museum of Appalachia Recordings, has really got me anticipating getting my hands on it. It's due to be released on Monday, July 8, in the U.K., but some time later in the U.S. My gosh, this woman is American and the album was recorded in Tennessee. Why is it released first in the U.K.? And me, being right here in the country where it was recorded -I have to wait. I know this is stupid grumbling, but I need this CD. I will be purchasing it as soon as it has a U.S. release. For those of you on the other side of the pond, check out this new release for something refreshingly different.

Now, if emusic gets it before other U.S. sources here, I'm not going to be a happy camper...

Interview/review with full stream of two of the tracks

Comments

• edited July 2013
    @ Soundcloud from 2011:
    artworks-000006840098-iexs9z-crop.jpg?cc07a88
    - Very charming . . .
    "High Atmosphere, the third album in the remarkable career arc of singer-songwriter/visual artist Diana Jones, hits with the force of a revelation, further deepening an unprecedented body of work that began in 2006 with My Remembrance of You and continued with 2009’s Better Times Will Come. On her new release, recorded entirely live with simpatico musicians at Quad studios in Nashville, this single-minded artist continues to hew to an austere, plainspoken aesthetic, yet its timelessly homespun frameworks are embedded with distinctly topical subject matter. As Bill Friskics-Warren so aptly pointed out in his New York Times profile, Jones “approaches the mountain-ballad tradition not as a curiosity or antique but as a renewable vernacular that’s just as capable of speaking to the human condition now as it was 80 years ago.”
  • Thanks for putting me on to Diana Jones, Kez. I'm always on the lookout for tunes for the garden and this one will fit right in.

300x300.jpg

Ps. Recent finds for me are Rose Cousins, The Weather Station & Kim McMechan. I'm still getting the majority of my music from Emusic. I just can't beat $.49/track.
  • thanks for the extra links on Diana Jones, confused. I, too, had been checking out Rose Cousins. She's on my wish list. Looking forward to checking out the other artists you mentioned, too.

Speaking of music for your garden, I've been meaning to post some songs for you. You've inspired me to make my own garden mix ( since I am getting back to gardening after about a 10 year hiatus. My mix is pretty short but I compiled a ton of songs in the process - must be 50+ of them or thereabouts. I'll post them all to your garden thread soon.