I started a podcast

Comments

• Interesting that you use 70F. When I was young we used used Fahreneit but for decades we have now used Centigrade. I now associate temperature in degrees C, so I now think 15C as quite nice (60F) and 20C as warm (approaching 70F) whilst 25C plus is hot (75F).
  • Hi Greg, In the United States we have stubbornly refused to use the metric system or another temperature scale. I taught myself metric and centigrade and can easily talk in those terms, but many of my (very few) readers cling to the old ways. 
  • New round of shoveling this morning. As usual, when we get a good amount of snow, Kate talks about moving south when we retire. I'm not sure that I want to exchange the occasional shoveling for hot misery in the summer that accompanies a move down south.

I suppose that we could become snowbirds - south in the winter and back up here in the summer. Not sure I'm ready for that, either. It'll be a discussion - perhaps I'll push off my retirement even longer than I was planning.

Smile and the world smiles with you. Let's see if that works with the new podcast, which features these smiling artists: the Rolling Stones, Fleetwood Mac, Aretha Franklin, Stevie Wonder, Paul McCartney, Blood, Sweat & Tears, Crosby/Nash, Hall & Oates, Traffic, the Undisputed Truth, Wet Willie, Jim James, Sly & the Family Stone, the O'Jays, and Richard Thompson.

This podcast is, as always, available to stream or download at brennick.net. There should be more content there, and I will try to put more things up this year. The podcast is also available to download as a podcast at your favorite podcast streamer - iTunes, Stitcher, etc. The podcast is called brennick.net. Check that out sometime. I welcome suggestions and comments, too - leave them as you will. Thanks for everything you do to encourage me.

• So, I went to see Bob Mould & Will Johnson last night in Portsmouth, NH.  Snowing pretty decent on the way up.  I though it was a good idea to bail about 10:30; unfortunately I got stuck behind a plow train on I-495 going between 16-22 mph for about 25 minutes. Ugh.  At least the show was good! Thanks for all your work on the podcasts.  Cheers from Massachusetts.
  • edited January 2020
    In the Brave New World post Brexit here, there will undoubtly be someone who calls for the return to the Fahreneit system. I've alreay heard one politician talk about returning to Pounds, Shillings and Pence that we gave up in 1971. Fortunately the cost of that would be too prohibitive.

I hope the snow is not too bad. For the second winter running we are having an unseasonally warm January. We've only had a frost on our cars three or four times this winter. A good selection on the podcast this week, by the way.
  • Had a dream last night...wait, come back. I'm not going to tell you about my dream, which was very lame. The point is, I was back in my old hometown of Madawaska, Maine. I lived there for the first six years of my life (10%). I obviously don't remember a lot about the first 2-3 years, but I was given pretty free reign during the day when I was a little older and I had a good memory of the town's layout, where our house was in terms of the town, and if pressed I could have drawn a map of the town that was pretty accurate. I only returned once after we moved, so I didn't have a lot of contemporary images to help me.

It's strange how I remember so much about those first years. In the internet age, I can look at Google Maps and see that my memory was excellent - I did remember the layout of the town pretty accurately (it's not like the town has a lot of odd streets or anything).

Actually, I've always been good with directions and orienting myself in surroundings. There are places that I've visited one time and I can give accurate directions there. My wife (and sadly, my son) do not have that gene, so I am in charge of getting places. So it goes.

On today's podcast, we start out palely with Procol Harum, the Dukes of Stratusphear, the Velvet Underground, Van Morrison, Erykah Badu, the Rings, Janis Joplin, Rufus Thomas, Carla Thomas, Eddie Floyd, Sam & Dave, the Emotions, Terence Trent D'Arby, the Beatles, and the Love Language.

This podcast is, as always, available to stream or download at brennick.net. There should be more content there, and I will try to put more things up this year. The podcast is also available to download as a podcast at your favorite podcast streamer - iTunes, Stitcher, etc. The podcast is called brennick.net. Check that out sometime. I welcome suggestions and comments, too - leave them as you will. Thanks for everything you do to encourage me.

• Wow - that's a hike - my 1st college roommate is from Fort Kent - I believe he still lives there.  Keep the tunes coming!
  • Fort Kent - 19 miles west of town!
  • Three things today: It's Groundhog Day. Let's hope for a Short winter. Super Bowl Sunday! My team's taking a break this year. I think the Chiefs will win but have heard persuasive arguments that the 49ers will win. Should be a good game (which means that it probably won't be a good game).

Finally, we babysat our grandson Friday night and Saturday morning. We hadn't seen him in three weeks (so long ago). When they're small, they change a lot in three weeks. He'll be two months old on February 10, and when we saw him Friday night he was much more alert and was really smiling sometimes. I like happy babies. When he was crying I told him how I understand what a hard life he was leading. Didn't help, but maybe my argument will be more persuasive when he begins to understand words.

Today's podcast starts out with teenagers, then we get into a deck of cards, with the Who, Wussy, the Flamin' Groovies, Little Feat, the Golden Palominos, Chaka Kahn, Neko Case, Slaid Cleaves, Ray Charles, Blur, the Specials, O.V. Wight, Dave Edmunds, the Searchers, and Marshall Crenshaw.

• Oops - I've been sitting on this for a while. It's my jazz podcast of music that came out last year. Since a couple of the artists are no longer on earth, it's not all music recorded in 2019, but it's all things that were not released earlier. The Coltrane piece was recorded for a film that only used some of the pieces (?), while the Art Pepper cut was recorded for a small label - I think the cut I play is an alternate take of something not released.

Anyway, enjoy the music of Snarky Puppy, Jamie Saft, Nicholas Payton, John Coltrane, George Coleman, Jimmy Cobb, Michael Dease, Art Pepper, and the James Carter Organ Trio.

• Argh - had a rough week. Personally, things were a little messed up, partially due to the weather. Weather in winter can always alter a person's week. Canceled meetings, bad weather (but still made it into work, albeit with an extra 30 minutes added to the commute). Nationally it was a weird week, too. There's a new normal that I'm not sure that I can get used to. Let's do better, everyone.

Today's podcast is not going to celebrate the upcoming Valentine's Day. Hope that you weren't waiting for that. Instead, there are great songs that are bluesy, psychedelic, and just plain tuneful. So relax and listen to Chicken Shack, Buddy Guy, Roscoe Gordon, Johnny "Guitar" Watson, the Dukes of Stratusphear, the Black Hollies, the Soft Boys, Pink Floyd, Lou Reed, the Smiths, the Cure, Paul Weller, My Morning Jacket, Luna, and the Connells.

• Have you heard that here in the U.S. tomorrow is a holiday? I heard someone say earlier in the week that there would be a delay of stuff until Tuesday because of the Monday holiday, and I was confused. "What holiday?" I wondered. "Surely President's Day is on the 24th and not the 17th."

But it's not. It's this Monday. How did I start losing holidays? Last year I had to work President's Day (huge application was due at the end of the week, and we had to get everything together - hundreds of pages of stuff, with a good result).  I think that it may be because I try not to think about the Presidency anymore.

This week we've got lots of great music, with Melody Gardot, Al Jarreau, Brittany Howard, the Roots, Eddie Floyd, Otis Redding, Billy Preston, Lou Ann Barton, Samantha Fish, Shemekia Copeland, Dani Wilde, Christine Perfect, the Rezillos, and Aztec Camera.

• How'd you sleep? I usually sleep very well, and in truth, I actually slept well last night. I woke up at around 1:00 AM and then went back to sleep in about half an hour. My wife does not sleep well. She was also up at 1:00 but finds it hard to get back to sleep. Is this normal?

I can sleep anywhere at any time. I can almost fall asleep standing up, so sleep has never been an issue with me. I know it's not the same for others, but I try to find a way to get in enough hours to sleep. I also like my naps - I occasionally will drift off for a "power nap," as they're now called, but it's really just some needed downtime for me. No power is involved.

I hope y'all sleep well. To help keep you awake, on this week's podcast we've got some great tunes for you from Isobel Campbell, Tame Impala, Jim James, Elvis Costello, Pops Staples, the Blind Boys of Alabama, the Beautiful South, Linda Jones, Beryl Marsden, Gladys Knight & the Pips, Charlie Musselwhite, the Nashville Teens, the Yardbirds, and Wire.

• Maybe it's the time of year, but I've fallen into a little rut. I generally think that routine is a good thing, but lately - I don't know. I think of myself as being a very steady person, to the point of now being boring. That's usually ok for me, but I need something to shake it up a bit. We're seeing the baby next week, so maybe that'll do it. I'll just have to stay content (and boring) for now.

This week we're all over the place with music, including starting with two songs from concerts I have attended. So let's listen to Little Feat, My Morning Jacket, Bessie Banks, Rod Stewart, the Classics IV, the Left Banke, Aretha Franklin, Dee Dee Warwick, ESG, Paul Simon, the Staple Singers, Bonnie Raitt, Shelby Lynne, 10,00 Maniacs, and Kristy MacColl.

• Ugh - I lost the spreadsheet that I use to track what I've put together for songs for the podcast, so I was flying blind as I put this back together. Please understand if there are more than the usual problems with the podcast this week. 

Meanwhile, what do I do? Go back to pencil and paper? Use a spreadsheet but be more conscious of saving the file? It's a conundrum. I think we've become too reliant on the computer to keep and remember things (why remember something when we can look it up? It gets compounded  by the fact that as I get older, my ability to store more useless information in my brain has decreased). I'll keep you updated, but I think I did a good job remembering what I had for songs this week.

We're visiting heaven this week. What is heaven? Not sure you'll get a definitive answer, but form the cynical to the divine let's check in with Traffic, Mary Weiss, the Grass Roots, the Rascals, Talking Heads, the Psychedelic Furs, Robyn Hitchcock, Lydia Loveless, Eurogliders, Stevie Wonder, Ann Peebles, Donovan, Cocteau Twins, the Cure, and Erasure. 

• Good luck with the data recovery
  • Hey, what's on everyone's mind this week? How 'bout them Red Sox? Of course, the craze that's sweeping the nation (and the world) is the Coronavirus. Don't know where anyone stands on the severity of the crisis, but I'd say that the best course of action is to err on the side of caution. Pretty easy to do, for the most part. Personally, I don't plan on leaving the house today. Sunday is usually our shopping day, but we went out and did not use social distancing at the grocery store on Saturday. Apparently, the entire town decided to visit the store when it first opened (that was my idea - how did everyone else have the same idea as me?), so we were in a line to check out that was wrapped halfway around the store. We all visited and talked - not social distancing. We did all feel like a true community, though. The store, for the most part, was still well-stocked. Paper products were wiped out, but most other food (but not frozen pizzas) were ok.

Toilet paper, you ask? We had purchased toilet paper last week, before the mass hysteria, and got lucky that a local store had just received some yesterday so we picked up another set, which hopefully will last until stores can re-stock. We also know regular hoarders of food and paper goods, and we can set up some sort of dead drop (can't interact in-person) to get some goods if everything gets worse. Be careful, my friends.

Hey, nothing goes with social distancing better than music. On today's podcast, we look at love ( and it's opposite - I haven't gotten soft in my old age), with songs from Simple Minds, the Cure, Syd Barrett, Marianne Faithful, Public Image Limited, Betty Davis, Charlie Chesterman, Donovan, Stephen Stills, the Beckies, Elton John, Mekons, the Posies, and Erasure.

• No Tom Brady talk????
  • Oh, Tahmmy. Yeah, I think he's gonna stick around - why leave after all this time.
  • Hi, it's your old pal the self-quarantiner. We had a possible exposure and now are stuck alone in the world. Not that either Kate or I have any symptoms - we've been fine, and we'll be fine by Thursday. Here's hoping.

I'm still working - our office has been setting up remote work for a little while (I'm away from the office enough visiting properties to make remote work worthwhile). Everyone has to adjust to a new reality, one that will hopefully be short-lived. As I said last week, we need to err on the side of caution.

Today's podcast isn't anything specific - just a hodge-podge of different songs (next week, though...). So stay in (or walk outside in nature) and listen to Massive Attack, The Bar-Kays, the Four Tops, Joy of Cooking, the Black Keys, Alejandro Escovedo, Neil Young, Donald Fagen, Kate & Anna McGarrigle, North Mississippi All-Stars, Eliot Smith, Joni Mitchell, Buffalo Springfield, and Mink Deville.

• The news continues to be not so good about the virus slowing down. We need to remain careful in the coming weeks. Kate and I are off self-quarantine, but it's not like our lives have changed all that much. We're still socially distancing, and Kate is still teaching her kindergarten children via Zoom Monday through Friday.

I have been able to go back to work at an office where less than half the people are now working. The accounting staff is rotating in a day a week, and there are few senior staff here.

We've been dealing a lot with rumors and trying to get good information to all of our residents. There was a rumor that someone in Lowell, MA had the Coronavirus and was walking around purposely infecting the population. Also, maybe he lived in one of our apartments. That was false, of course, but it added to the tensions caused - we don't need mass hysteria on top of an already volatile situation.

We also had a resident in a homeless transitional property who had a scare, but it turned out to be "just" the flu. Still scary, but of another nature. We have a large number of residents who are extremely vulnerable, and we need to make sure they're doing the right thing, even if some don't know or seem to care. Let's get rid of misinformation and bad information so we don't have an entire apartment complex come down with the virus, which could then spread even wider.

Today's podcast recognizes the virus and the steps we need to take to combat it, even if it results in being away from each other. Let's take a listen to Otis Redding, Matthew Sweet, the Cardigans, Fats Domino, Ted Hawkins, Elton John, Marshall Crenshaw, Richard Thompson, John Lennon, Iggy Pop, Medium Medium, Ray Charles, the Bee Gees, Earl King, the Smithereens, and the Motels.

• Another week has gone by - have we made any progress on the Coronavirus? I haven't heard if rates are slowing, probably because there has been an increase in testing available. Let's continue to stay safe out there. We've already lost some entertainers to it, and we're hopeful that John Prine and Marianne Faithfull can recover from it. Scary times that I hoped we wouldn't have to endure in my lifetime. Didn't we think that we were beyond the plague and Spanish influenza?

This week's podcast starts with some songs about the house and home, which we're becoming more intimately familiar with each day. "Has that crack always been there?" "That stain just won't come out. Does the internet have any ideas about how to deal with this?" Anyway, let's listen to the J. Geils Band, Elvis Presley, X, Siouxsie & the Banshees, Joe Goddard, Michael Kiwanuka, Shelby Lynne, Coco Hames, Willy Deville, Southside Johnny & the Asbury Jukes, Dave Edmunds, Graham Parker, Experience Unlimited, and Christine & the Queens.

• Oh, 1975. 45 years ago. I originally thought that there was a lot of great music form 1975, and while there were some classic albums, overall the year was not strong. The mid-'70s was a period when bands started spending a couple of years to put out an album. Back in the old days, bands were forced to put out 2 albums a year, and quality be damned. The thing is, more time also did not necessarily indicate better quality. 1975 was the period just before punk, which was a reaction to the staid world of rock music. Disco was beginning to explode in 1975, and while there were some good disco tunes, it had yet to peak as a style.

As a result, I had some trouble putting this together. So sit back, mellow out, and listen to Bob Dylan, John Cale, Bruce Springsteen, Steely Dan, Al Green, Bonnie Raitt, The Band, David Bowie, Fleetwood Mac, Allen Toussaint, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Roxy Music, and the Who.

• Happy Easter. I had forgotten that Easter was this weekend - preparations had been changed so much. In most places, church was going to be a very different experience (some type of online celebration), and any preparations we had for Easter went out the door to be socially distanced. My brother-in-law was sad to hear that all was postponed. We may try to do something next weekend (Greek Easter), but we'll still probably need to be careful (Memorial Day?).

Although I'd say that people are still very patient with all of this, when my wife and I were out yesterday (delivering school work to people), we saw a regular Saturday's worth of traffic - where were they all going? We didn't notice lines outside the grocery stores - let's hope they're not relaxing those rules at this critical point. We are starting to contain the virus, but that doesn't mean that we should let up now - give it some more time.

Today's podcast is all about work. Do you still go to work? Do you work at home? Have you been furloughed? Let's remember work today with Jackie Wilson, the Isley Brothers, Yola, Lee Dorsey, the Golden Palominos, the Godfathers, Steely Dan, Samantha Fish, Merle Haggard, Canned Heat, Michael Head, the dB's, the Mark Four, R.E.M., Fine Young Cannibals, and Van Morrison.

• What a year. This is my 60th year on Earth, and instead of whining all year about how I'm getting older, and what that means, we're stuck inside the house. But that's where we should be.

The President keeps talking about re-opening the country, and in Florida, the beaches have reopened, in South Carolina, the beaches and businesses will be back open on Monday, and we've had protests to end the state's orders to shut down. Why is that?

I haven't heard that anyone can get tested at any time, or that we have a viable vaccination. Time to calm down and wait until we can be sure that there is a higher level of safety that there is as of now. I'm not saying that this is fun, but getting the virus is so much worse than staying inside and away from others is the best course right now.

Today's podcast is a bunch of great songs to listen to - away from others. So let's socially distance with Gilberto Gil, Hollie Cook, Waxahatchee, the Handsome Family, the Feelies, the Ettes, Paul Simon, Randy Newman, Fleetwood Mac, Rod Stewart, Funkadelic, James Brown, Sly & the Family Stone, and War.

• Nice mix - thanks and take care.
  • Not that I thought to include it on the podcast, but this song entered my brain and won't go away:

I keep hearin' you're concerned about my happiness
    But all that thought you're givin' me is conscience I guess
    If I was walkin' in your shoes, I wouldn't worry none
    While you 'n' your friends are worried about me I'm havin' lots of fun

Countin' flowers on the wall
    That don't bother me at all
    Playin' solitaire till dawn with a deck of fifty-one
    Smokin' cigarettes and watchin' Captain Kangaroo
    Now don't tell me I've nothin' to do

Last night I dressed in tails, pretended I was on the town
    As long as I can dream it's hard to slow this swinger down
    So please don't give a thought to me, I'm really doin' fine
    You can always find me here, I'm havin' quite a time

Now don't tell me I've nothin' to doIt's good to see you, I must go, I know I look a fright
    Anyway my eyes are not accustomed to this light
    And my shoes are not accustomed to this hard concrete
    So I must go back to my room and make my day complete

Now don't tell me I've nothin' to do

Don't tell me I've nothin' to do

Where are you, Captain Kangaroo, and your weird hairstyle? This is how some of us are getting through these Covid19 days. Actually (naturally), you can see Captain Kangaroo on YouTube clips. Whither Mr. Green Jeans - don't see much about him on the old YouTube.

No Captain Kangaroo or Mr. Green Jeans on today's podcast either. We're all over the place with songs, including a remembrance of artists recently lost. So let's listen to Blue Milk, Eric Bibb, Crystal Syphon, Magnum, Sarah Cracknell, Me & the Monster, Peggy Lee, Nellie McKay, James Hunter Six, Fountains of Wayne, Bill Withers, Manu Dubango, Susan Tedeschi, and John Prine.

• My allergies hit me hard this week. They always flare up about this time, and while they're never really fun, it's usually very short-term and beyond a constant runny nose, it's not too bad. This year was persistent and full, to the point where on Wednesday I wasn't feeling great and there was something new: a toothache.

I never get toothaches. I had a root canal and the dentists all thought that it must be painful, but I never felt anything. So when I had a toothache on Wednesday it was a very different thing. "Oh, God, is this it? Do I now have the virus?" I thought. I was able to get a dentist's appointment (they're closed except for emergencies) and the dentists...could not find anything. They scratched their heads and prescribed an antibiotic.

On Thursday morning when I woke up... I was completely better. No tooth pain at all and my head was clearing. I think that allergies affected my tooth. That could be the explanation, right? Anyway, we all go through these advanced scares at this time ("I coughed. What type of cough was that? Is this it?"). Let's be cautious but not overly pessimistic.

Today we've returned to a normal, non-themed podcast (except great music!). Let's take some time to self-check our health and listen to Shelby Lynne, Waxahatchee, Diana Ross, the Staple Singers, Family, Canned Heat, Vince Taylor, the Nashville Teens, Patti Smith, P.J. Harvey, Lizzy Mercier-Descloux, the Nuns, Roxy Music, Peter Murphy, and David Bowie.

• Hi - Happy Mother's Day to all the moms out there. Not much to say this week, so I'll just say Happy Mother's Day.

On today's podcast, we go in different directions before settling down with ghosts. So tune in to hear Eddie Holman, Edwin Starr, the Friends of Distinction, Kool & the Gang, Sonny Landreth, Nils Lofgren, Emmitt Rhodes, John Hiatt, Aimee Mann, Fleetwood Mac, Mekons, Mazzy Star, the Dream Syndicate, Garland Jeffreys, Grant McLennan, and Graham Parker. Stay spooky.

• I saw an article or post or something that aid "Say hi to an extrovert," meaning extroverts have it harder to deal with staying in than introverts during the Coronavirus. It's probably true. I'm an introvert, and although it still has its drawbacks, I feel well-suited to stay home and stay socially distant.

I also know extroverts who are going nuts right now - they're still following the guidelines but miss seeing and talking to people so much. They're very vocal about not seeing others, while we introverts just keep plugging along.

I've taken the Myers-Briggs profile on multiple occasions - I would have slotted myself more as an extrovert (I know that's not really true, but play along), but I was an introvert - a strong introvert. I've come out of the test as an INTJ (once an INTP, but the J/P split was the weakest). I just saw that INTJ is one of the rarest classifications, but seems normal to me. How have y'all done?

One thing that an introvert does is make music lists, so here's this week's podcast, with introverts and extroverts like The Ramones, the Bobby Fuller Four, the Primary 5, Lou Reed, Blancmange, Thomas Dolby, Howard Jones, the Dream Syndicate, Kendra Smith, Holly Golightly, the Jaynettes, Single Bullet Theory, Tracey Ullman, and Hazel Smith.