I started a podcast

Comments

• Last week I put up the first Blue Note podcast to celebrate their 75th anniversary. I liked that so much that I put together a second Blue Note jazzcast - here it is.

We start on a Maiden Voyage with Herbie Hancock and end on Two Worlds with Tony Williams. In between are songs from Hank Mobley, Kenny Burrell, Jimmy Smith, Donald Byrd, Dexter Gordon, Horace Silver, Kenny Drew and Joe Henderson. An impressive lineup of greats from the classic albums of Blue Note.

So enjoy this new, special edition of PB"s podcast at brennick.net.
  • edited October 2014
    Bremble, thanks for the Blue Note jazzcasts - have not been keeping up with them in real time but have been taking note and intend to listen.
  • It's Sunday - time for a new podcast at brennick.net. On today's show we learn how to spell Mississippi with Bobbie Gentry and bounce all around the map - in Chicago with Magic Sam, down in New Orleans with Willy Deville, and Memphis with Al Green to start the show. Later we go to the Valley of Malls and we end up in Outer Space with Barrence Whitfield and the Savages ("Way down inside" - just great).
  • edited November 2014
    Hello and welcome to a new edition of the PB Podcast. It's been six months since I started the podcast - and this is the 32nd podcast that I've uploaded, including the special jazz and blues podcasts. I'm impressed, anyway.
    Today’s show features acts from Amy Winehouse to Elvis Costello. Amy was a great talent that was cut-off way too early. In-between we’ll hear from the Black Keys, Richard Thompson, the Rascals, Santana, Peter Green’s Fleetwood Mac, Van Morison with Them and many more.

All podcasts are available for listening and downloadiing at brennick.net. Please listen in and leave comments/suggestions. Thank you.
  • The latest edition of the PB Podcast has just been posted. On today's show we start with lies - Your Lies, I Lie, White Lies and Don't Lie to Me. Later we get a low set, and finish up with Iggy Pop and the Velvet Underground. More great songs for the week.

All podcasts are still available at brennick.net. Leave comments and suggestions while you visit - I like to hear what people are thinking. Thank you for listening.
  • It's Sunday - you know what that means - another PB Podcast. On today's show we have both ends burning as we go all over the place. We stop at an airport and make a sedan delivery with acts including Roxy Music, Sleater-Kinney, the Black Angels, Neil Young, Wet Willie, Elvis Presley and many more.
    Thank you for stopping by brennick.net to listen to the latest edition of the podcast. Look around the site - all of the previous podcasts are still available to listen to or download. Please leave comments and suggestions, and tell others about the podcast - sharing is caring.
  • Happy Thanksgiving, or the day before Black Friday. Just enjoy the time with family and friends, and to help, listen to this new podcast, celebrating the 65th anniversary of Prestige Records.

Prestige Records was founded back in 1949 by Bob Weinstock, who had opened a record store next to a jazz club. He decided to start recording the jazz artists for records, and it blossomed into Prestige Records. Unlike Blue Note Records, which paid for rehearsal time, at Prestige musicians were paid to come in and strictly record - more spontaneity and less formal structure, like they played in the clubs. Stars from Sonny Rollins to Miles Davis to the Modern Jazz Quartet recorded some very famous works for Prestige.

Prestige sold to Fantasy Records in 1971, where the label was folded into the Original Jazz Classics nomenclature, alongside other record labels like Riverside, which can be confusing as to which label recorded exactly which album.

So, listen in as we play songs on Prestige by Sonny Rollins, Miles Davis, Booker Ervin, Rahsaan Roland Kirk, Coleman Hawkins, Mose Allison and more here at the PB Podcast. All podcasts are still available at brennick.net - after eating turkey and getting Tryptophan, listening to the PB Podcast gets you out of your stupor. Enjoy the holiday!
  • Thanks for the holiday podcast, Bremble. And happy thanksgiving to all. We have neither extended family in this part of the world nor strong roots in the US thanksgiving tradition. We are going to have a bunch of grad students over tomorrow for lunch and do a kind of British-Korean-Indonesian quasi-thanksgiving-meal.
  • Does it have Johnny Otis doing The Turkey Hop?
  • edited December 2014
    I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving day holiday - or last few days if you don't celebrate. Time for a new edition of the PB Podcast. We get right into some great music with Jackie Wilson and LaVerne Baker, followed up by Raphael Saadiq, Quantic with Alice Russell and Betty LaVette. We trip from there to Joan Armatrading, then reggae with Bob Marley and Burning Spear. We take time for the 20th and 21st Century before ending with Wreckless Eric, who'd go the Whole Wide World (just to find her).

There's been more action at the website, which is great, but remember to leave comments and suggestions, as well as spreading the word about the podcasts at brennick.net. I'd like to thank you for listening.
  • Hello and welcome to another special edition of the PB Podcast. Today we explore what I'll call "the other music", music I listen to that usually does not appear on the regular podcast. This is music that my wife yells at me for playing, so I've pretty much eliminated it from the podcast (although not entirely).

So today we explore some of that music. We start with Tin Huey, described in the AllMusic Guide as "punk-pop with touches of free-form jazz blowing and eclectic smartassness", then head to its forebears in the Insect Trust before heading into the new Throttle Elevator Music. We then go to a prog rock set with Rick Wakeman, Emerson, Lake and Palmer before the updated sounds of Pocupine Tree. The last two sets showcase Robert Fripp, Material, Captain Beefheart and Frank Zappa.

Enjoy it all at brennick.net.
  • edited December 2014
    Around these parts it's actually Larry Bird's birthday, but Happy Pearl Harbor Day. I'm currently reading Perfidia by James Ellroy, which takes place during that month in 1941.

On today's podcast we'll end with the world (it's going up in flames), but before that are sets of great music that includes Dr. John, Sharon Jones, Muddy Waters, Hank Williams and many more.

All podcasts for this year are still available at brennick.net. So, after listening to this podcast, stop by and listen to some of the older podcasts. Don't forget to leave suggestions and comments at the site - it's so easy to do. And if you like the show, please tell others about it.

So, thank you for listening.
  • Hello and welcome to the latest edition of the PB Podcast. Let's stay away from the horrible news this week and escape into some great music. On today's show, we start with Lyle Lovett and Father John Misty before going into some TV themes (far different from "Gilligan's Island"). From there it's new Bryan Ferry, Pete Townshend and Ronnie Lane, Jimi Hendrix, Talking Heads and many, many more.

All podcasts for this year are still available at brennick.net. So, after listening to this podcast, stop by and listen to some of the older podcasts. Don't forget to leave suggestions and comments at the site - it's so easy to do. And if you like the show, please tell others about it.

• edited December 2014
    On today's podcast we start out with a band from Boston, then to Los Angeles, Liverpool and Cincinnati. From there we head to London, Texas, Texas again and Indianola, Mississippi. The 3rd set is Boston, New York City, Tennessee and Los Angeles. Finally we have a pair from Tennessee and 2 from Mississippi. Rock and Soul and Blues are all represented on today's show.

• I've put together a Christmas podcast - but beware! Today's podcast features Santa Claus (he's the reason for the season - wait, I have that wrong, but it seems like he has taken over being the reason for the season - America's priorities getting in the way of what should be spiritual [sigh]). Of course, being my podcast, many of the songs are twisted - not safe for young children. The 2nd and last sets are safe for children, and should be among the songs they should be listening to - classic Johnny Mathis, Nat King Cole, Dean Martin, Louis Armstrong, but not Captain Beefheart or Martin Mull. This is sort of a tonic for the troops - maybe best listened to near midnight on Christmas Eve. Enjoy!

• I hope everyone had a good Christmas - we had family over to our house this year. It all went well, but we've got tons of leftovers that we'll be eating until well into 2015.
    We let it all hang out in this week's podcast with the Hombres to kick things off. Later we'll hear what glass pinecones are and end up here at the home, with lots of great music in-between.
  • For this New Year's Day I thought I'd do a special podcast that focuses on midnight songs. I thought about adding "Midnight Man" by Nick Cave into a regular podcast, but after looking at other Midnight songs I thought it would be perfect to do a whole podcast on these songs, and that New Year's Eve, when people are up past midnight, would be the best time, so here we are.

Do you have New Year's resolutions? I generally don't do them, as it usually takes one week for me to stop any that I started. Last year I resolved to learn how to do a podcast and start it (hey! I did that!), write more and exercise. 1 out of 3 ain't good. When I die someone will have to go through and see all the half-letters, e-mails, stories and poems I've written through the years. I've been a terrible correspondent, but vow to improve in 2015 (more blog posts? perhaps). I also started exercising about a month ago - I'll need to keep that up.

Onto the podcast. On tonight's podcast we start with Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, then hit the Allman Brothers, Steve Miller and Howlin' Wolf for the first set. Later we go country with Patsy Cline and Maria Muldaur, hear Jimi Hendrix and Bryan Ferry and we end with the Rolling Stones.

All podcasts are still available to stream or download at brennick.net. So, after listening to this podcast, stop by and listen to some of the older podcasts. And please, I beg you,leave suggestions and comments at the site - it's so easy to do. And if you like the show, please tell others about it.
  • We've made it to 2015 - welcome. It's a brand new year and what a better way to welcome it than with a whole new year of podcasts? I can't think of a better way to celebrate.

On today's show we start with the perfect pop of the Hollies and Badfinger, then on to Hall and Oates and Ryan Adams. We also welcome 2015 with Belle and Sebastian, the Beach Boys, the Cure, Gene Clark, Mott the Hoople, Pulp, Pokey LaFarge, the Arctic Monkeys and finish with the Jackson 5. What a lineup to start the year.

As always, all podcasts are still available to listen to or download at brennick.net. Comments and suggestions are always welcome, and please - let's get others involved. Share the podcast with others. Thank you for listening.
  • Winter settles into New England. It's 2 degrees Farenheit as I type this, with my dog persuading me to take her out for her long weekend walk. She is a Siberian Husky, and although she's 12 and has a torn ACL that has healed, she is immune to the cold - she wants her long walk.

Today's podcast starts with an obscure band and works its way through the familiar and unfamiliar - hey, we head to Hawaii in an attempt to warm up this winter. We begin with Liverpool's It's Immaterial then go to Chris Isaak, Bonnie Raitt, Paul Kelly, Blancmange, Wilson Pickett, John Hiatt, the Kinks, the Impressions, Kings Go Forth, Parliament, David Johansen, Van Morrison, Otis Redding and Procol Harum.

This and all podcasts I've done are available at brennick.net. Please stop by to listen to podcasts and leave suggestions and comments. I've had more people share with others and I encourage you to do the same - it's fun getting more people to drop by and listen.

Thank you.
  • On today's we celebrate the city of Boston in one set (go Pats) and start with one of my all-time favorite songs. It's a lineup of Matthew Sweet, Gene Loves Jezebel, and North Carolina's Archers of Loaf to kick things off. The Boston set has the Lyres, the Rings, Morphine and the Pixies. Kid Creole and the Coconuts, Elvis Presley, the Dum Dum Girls, Eliot Easton, Kool and the Gang, Roxy Music, Jethro Tull and Fleetwood Mac show up to lend a hand and play great music.

All podcasts are still available at brennick.net. Stop by to listen to some of the older ones. Leave comments and suggestions - I love to hear from you. Coming up soon is a podcast based on one of your suggestions. And please, share this podcast with others - I've gotten more people to listen because of sharing - it's part of the holiday spirit. Thank you for listening.
  • edited January 2015
    Yesterday's snow was mild compared to the high-end predictions - this was very manageable. They're predicting a foot of snow for Tuesday, though - that'll be a big one, along with another small amount for next weekend. So much for the small amount of snow for this winter.

On this week's show we start off with a set of oldies (you know, oldies - late 50's to early 60's). The we have a set of the blues, followed by a Black set before ending with a folky set of music. Artists include Jackie Wilson, Little Richard, Junior Wells, Magic Sam, the Black Angels and Fred Neil.

This podcast and all the older ones are available at brennick.net. Stop by to listen, leave comments and make suggestions on how to improve the podcast or to tell me what you'd like to hear. Later this week I'll post a podcast based on one of your suggestions. Finally, please share the podcast with others - especially if your social network is larger than mine (that's probably over 90% of you). Thank you for listening.
  • edited February 2015
    An extra podcast today: I Bless the Rains Down in Africa - an African podcast.

No, no - I'm not ever going to play this song on a podcast, but if you've never heard Steve Almond's take on "Africa", then you deserve to take 10 minutes out of your life to laugh along with him.

As I wait for a snow plow to help dig me out (my street hasn't been plowed in over 12 hours - I know that I live on a small cul de sac, but really), I will post an extra podcast today. Hope everyone made it through the storm ok - it really wasn't that bad (I'm in the 18-inch part of the storm). Today's podcast will transport us to Africa - all songs are from that continent.

Not that I know too much about African music - I just know what I like. This all started back in the early 1990's - I was on a usenet group of fellow blues enthusiasts who did tape trading, and one guy asked if we were interested in a tape of songs from Africa, because the music there was great. I said yes and got a great sampling of the music there.

Try out today's podcast - the music is filled with riffs that will sound pretty familiar - I play some of these songs on my regular podcasts - nothing is too far out. Expand your mind - who knows, maybe you'll get excited enough about the music to plan a trip to Africa (I'd love to go).

Remember that this and all podcasts are available at brennick.net. This podcast was prompted by a suggestion, so leave comments and suggestions about the podcasts, and remember to share this with others. Thank you for listening.
  • edited February 2015
    Today is the big game - it's the Super Bowl of Super Bowls. The two best, evenly matched teams will play tonight to be the champions. It's really become another holiday - even non-fans have the commercials and Katy Perry to look forward to. Since the team I root for is playing, I will be eagerly anticipating the game and hope for the best from the Patriots (they'll need a to have a good start). I predict a 27-23 Patriots win.

Today's podcast is not football-centric - just a heavy heap of rock and soul music today. We start with Dave Edmunds and then the Coasters, Denise LaSalle (from the movie Only Lovers Left Alive), Don Covay and Smokey Robinson and the Miracles.

Other artists today include Brinsley Schwarz, Hunters & Collectors, Richie Havens, The Beatles, Ian McLagen, The Searchers, Martha Reeves and the Vandellas, The Four Tops, Ann Peebles, Caribou, Bjork, and Grace Jones. A good time was had by all. It's no Katy Perry, but I'm going after a different demographic.

All podcasts are available at brennick.net. Please stop by to listen, download, and leave comments and suggestions. If you like what you hear, please share this with others. Thank you for listening, and tune in next week for another PB Podcast.
  • I'm just getting over the horrible flu that's been going around. I've only had it since Wednesday,and to be almost normal Sunday seems like I got a shorter version of it.

Today's podcast is a sort of "classic rock"-type podcast. One of the songs is from the 90's, but we're generally hanging around the late-60's - early-70's today. Let's rock out with World Party, The Rolling Stones, The Smiths, Bob Dylan, Sugar, R.E.M., The Drifters, Rod Stewart, Roxy Music, CCR, Roky Erickson, and Neil Young.

This podcast and all my previous ones are available at brennick.net. Stop by to listen, leave comments and suggestions. I love hearing from you. And please share with others - I've gotten more hits on the site as a result, so thanks to those who've shared.
  • "I'll write you a letter tomorrow,
    Tonight I can't hold a pen."

What has happened to the art of letter writing? We've turned to email, Facebook and twitter as a primary form of communication, and in most cases thoughtfulness has taken a back seat to quickness. Write a letter today -oh, go ahead and type it on an electronic device - my poor handwriting hasn't improved in the age of the computer, so no one would be able to read what I had written.

Today's podcast starts off soulful before turning to a mix of the new and old, including the above-referenced song. Marvin Gaye, the Show Stoppers, the Spinners and the Dells lead us off. Then we hear from Panda Bear, Frankie Rose, Sleater Kinney, Tame Impala, the Monkees, Rufus, The Replacements, Veruca Salt, Belle & Sebastian, the Breeders and Beth Orton. Listen to this as you write.

Please visit brennick.net for all of your music podcast needs. Thank you.
  • Time for another special edition of the PB Podcast. Last time we went to Africa - today it's Brazil. Much like the music from Africa, my actual knowledge of Brazil, its culture and music, is limited. I do know good music when I hear it, though, and since it's summer down there while we await another 6-10 inches of snow tonight into tomorrow, let's enjoy the tropical Brazilian breezes.

Please enjoy the sambas, bossa novas and folk music of Brazil at brennick.net- let me find my shovel.
  • edited February 2015
    Today we look at wants and needs, as in "I want to go on vacation" vs. "I need to go on vacation." That will be answered later this week as I head to sunny Southern California, with promised 80 degree (Farenheit) days. So, do I need or want? I definitely want it, and psychologically (as  I prepare once more to shovel the snow we got last night) I need to get away fro the frozen North. 

Who wants? The Hoodoo Gurus, Graham Parker, Bob Dylan, and Elvis Costello. Who Needs? Janis Joplin, the Four Tops, The Jam, and Susan Tedeschi. What else do we have? Robert Wyatt, Temples, Public Image Limited,Ray Charles, Alice Cooper, The Cult, and the Moody Blues.

Please go to brennick.net for all your music podcast needs. Leave comments and suggestions, and please, share with others. Thank you.
  • edited March 2015
    Hello, and welcome to another edition of the PB Podcast. I am on vacation right now, enjoying warm weather and staying far away from the awful, snowy New England winter.

Lesley Gore recently passed away, and there was an unusual amount of love given to a person I thought was a minor pop star, but she had a bigger reach than I thought. I thought she was a very good artist, and owned the songs she sang back in the 1960's. She seems more like a guilty pleasure for many people. I personally don't believe in guilty pleasures - I just have music I like and listen to and music I don't listen to. I don't make judgments on music anymore, it's not worth my time. I grew up listening to AM radio, where there were a lot of great songs in many different genres, and listening to and loving all genres is still part of my makeup.

So we'll start our podcast today with Lesley Gore, then onto Mary Weiss (formerly of the Shangri-La's), the Ramones, Eddie Cochran, and Joe Bennett and the Sparkletones to lead things off. Then we have Robin Trower, Cream, the Charlatans, the Move, Sharon Jones and the Dap-Tones, Allen Toussaint, Otis Redding, Gloria Jones, Yasmine Hamdam, Dum Dum Girls, Elvis Presley and Lulu to end the show.

All podacasts are still available for streaming or download at http://brennick.net. Leave comments and suggestions, and please share with others. Thank you.
  • Today is the day we sprang forward (wait - in English we're making all verbs regular verbs - I guess we springed forward - ugh, let's stay irregular). Daylight Savings Time is back, which means that I get to drive to work in the dark again. In the winter I get up in the dark, drive to work in the dark, and drive home in the dark: Winter in New England. Then, as we move into February, sunrise starts to become early enough that I am not driving in the dark. Then we get Daylight Savings Time, and it's back to darkness. The one constant is that I walk my dog in the dark (we get up very early here, and she always wants a nice long walk) - the dog'll be 13 in May, so that's a lot of walks. Do we still need Daylight Savings Time? 

Today's podcast has nothing to do with Daylight Savings Time. Instead we have Cocteau Twins, My Bloody Valentine and Alison Moyet leading us off, followed by the Left Banke, Joe Jackson, the La's, Jacqueline Taieb, Nick Lowe, Otis Redding, Raphael Saadiq, the Go-Go's, the Bangles, kd lang, the Youngbloods, Billy Bragg with Wilco, Julian Cope and Stevie Wonder. 

All podacasts are still available for streaming or download at brennick.net. Leave comments and suggestions, and please share with others. Thank you.
  • March has brought in rains. I'd complain, but since I won't have to shovel it later, I'm good. We know that April showers bring May flowers, but March rain? Other than decreasing the size of snow banks (and the return of sidewalks that were previously plowed, were forgotten after the big storms, but have been noticed by my dog in the long weekend walks we take), what is there? No shoveling, I guess.

We have a fun podcast today, full of fun, great songs from the PB library. We start with the Yardbirds, then go to Wire, the Cure, Blur, John Foxx, Nick Cave, Damien Jurado, the Specials, the Housemartins, Paul Weller, the Heavy, the Fall, the Soft Boys and ending with the Long Ryders. Enjoy!

All podcasts are still available for streaming or download at brennick.net. Leave comments and suggestions, and please share with others. Thank you.