I started a podcast

Comments

• Feels like -1 degree Farenheit? It must be spring. Does my dog want to take a short walk? The Siberian Husky demands her long weekend walk. The Red Sox start playing in Fenway on April 13 - will that be ready? We'll see. It's the end of March and time for New Englanders to complain about the weather - no real spring here - it becomes mud season. We forgive winter because of the magnificent autumns we have - I'm not sure our summers are good enough for us to forgive the awful springs we get. We need warm weather real soon.

On today's podcast we start with James Brown, Ike and Tina Turner, the Strawberry Alarm Clock and the Doors. From there we play Donnie Iris, Echo and the Bunnymen, Big Audio Dynamite, The Motors, Siouxsie and the Banshees, the Stranglers, and Simple MInds. We try to end the set (wait - we end the set with Try) with Julian Cope, Marshall Crenshaw, Maxayn and Aretha Franklin. 

I hope that you enjoy the podcast. All previous podcasts are available at brennick.net. Please go and leave suggestions, comments, feedback, etc., and remember to share with others - sharing is caring. I do this on a weekly basis, with occasional mid-week special podcasts - one is coming soon. Thanks.
  • @bremble - Not sure if you've mentioned this or not, but do you worry about the licensing aspect of your podcast? I always wanted to do one, but would get scared away by the legal aspects.
  • Hi Thom,

Truthfully I've never worried about the licensing aspect - I guess that I should, although I am far from the only one who does podcasts like this (which is the worst argument I could make if push comes to shove). I've always assumed that by not streaming individual songs nor looking to profit from podcasting that I'd be protected. It's pretty naive, but the two factors I'll hang my hat on are my reach is so small that I'd probably just be told to quit and that others haven't been stopped yet. I guess that I will take a deeper look at this, although I will continue until I'm told to stop or I find a compelling reason to stop. I wonder how much licensing fees are?
  • Yeah, keep doing it. The worst that would likely happen is that you'd have to take some down or maybe just stop. I was just curious if you had actually looked into it and had more insight than I had, and definitely don't want you to get worried about it (if you've been doing it this long...).

In the past the main issue with licensing was that there was no definitive way make sure you are in the clear - there's no single authority that covers everybody.

Anyway, keep up the good work.
  • Hi Thom,

A very quick, cursory reading of the internet agrees with your reading - there is no single authority involved with licensing - I know people have gotten cease and desist orders in the past - they're not always legitimate. I'll just keep my head down and continue unless there's a crackdown.
  • Hello, and welcome to another special edition of the podcast - the occasional Jazzcast that I'm posting for you. There's nothing fancy going on today - no 2015 releases, no 75th anniversaries, just some good jazz music that I've been listening to lately. 

We start today's show with Herbie Hancock from his 1962 first solo release Takin' Off, then move to a 2014 release form trumpeter Tom Harrell before ending with a classic from the Thad Jones/Mel Lewis Orchestra. 

Th next set starts off with some be-bop from Tal Farlow, then Charlie Parker steps in before we end the set with Charlie Haden from 1987 with a boppish tune. The third set has piano players, starting with Carla Bley, then Orrin Evans, Bud Powell and ending with Billy Strayhorn. 

The final set is also composed of pianists - Benny Green, Bill Charlap and Herbie Nichols. Great tunes, well played. 

This podcast and all others are all available at brennick.net. When you visit, please leave comments and suggestions - they're all appreciated. I post the regular podcast every Sunday morning, and these special podcasts get posted on Wednesdays when they're ready. Another will be coming soon. Thank you for listening.
  • The inevitability of growing old isn't a constant thought - I still feel the same way I did when I was eleven years old - I'm not so sure that's good, but just the way it is. I usually see it in others, though, and now I'm experiencing it with my dog. Fiona the Siberian Husky will be 13 in May and she has slowed down. Her hips are arthritic, so getting up and laying down have become chores for her. She tore an ACL last year and doesn't go up and down stairs anymore. She even cut her walk short this morning - we had gotten up to 2 miles of walk in the morning, and did it twice yesterday - but not today. 

Still, there are times, especially early in the walks, where she is as energetic and playful as she was as a puppy, and still acts like a puppy around people (they always seem surprised to hear how old she is). Still, time marches on for her - and for me as well. For I am not 11 anymore - I am 55 years old. Not at the "You kids get off my lawn" stage, but closing in on it.

Today's podcast definitely takes a look back - we start in the 1970's with Cheap Trick, ELO, Crazy Joe and the Variable Speed Band and Lighthouse . Then we hit the 1960's with the Bee Gees, the Blues Project, Paul Revere and the Raiders and the Valentinos. Next up is Texas, the Mighty Lemon Drops, the Soft Boys, Divine Comedy, Sharon Van Etten, John Hiatt, Ambrosia, and end with Jefferson Airplane. 

All podcasts are available at brennick.net. Drop by to listen to the podcasts, leave comments and suggestions, and dig around to hear some great music. Thank you for listening.
  • Hmm, I'm having problems with my shift bar - time for a new keyboard? I'll see if I can clean this one out first. Speaking of cleaning, spring, for some reason, is the traditional period for cleaning. It's the first chance for those of us who experience winter to move around outside (there's still plenty of snow here today), and I have more big spring cleaning plans. 

It seems like we spend our younger years accumulating stuff we think is necessary, and then we realize that we don't really need everything we've acquired (or that we'll never move into that mansion large enough to hold all our stuff) so we start getting rid of it. I prefer Goodwill for anything that has some use - charities that can re-use are the best place for my old crap. Then younger folk can by this"essential" stuff and repeat the pattern of acquiring and dumping.

On today's podcast we have all killer, no filler-accumulations of essential music. We begin with the killer himself, Jerry Lee Lewis, then to crooner Bob Dylan, Matthew E. White, and a collaboration between John Lee Hooker and Miles Davis. Then we go live with a set from Jefferson Airplane, Muddy Waters, Nirvana and Donny Hathaway. We go bluesy with Savoy Brown, Freddie King and  Luther Allison. The final set features the Shocking Blue, Iggy Pop and Sade, and yes, they all work well together. 

All podcasts still available at brennick.net - please take some time to listen to older pods as well as the new. Comments and suggestions are always welcome. Thank you for listening, and remember to tune us in every week (sometimes twice!). 
  • Today I posted another special edition of the PB podcast. Today we travel back to the year 1980. The podcast will feature songs from that year. 1980 was not only 35 years ago, but was an important year for me. I was finishing my 2nd year in college and started my 3rd year in 1980. More importantly, music really began to split during the early 1980's. Punk had died out, but post-punk bands began to proliferate, and many radio stations were confused - this music didn't sound enough like the classic rock music they liked playing, so playlists started to get tightened up and many of the "new wave" acts got pushed aside. College radio stations started filling in the gaps by featuring the newer bands, and alternative radio (and new commercial stations) grew from that.

In 1980 there wasn't a lot of traditional rock acts that released new music. It was mostly the newer bands, and so that is mostly what we will feature here today. Many of the acts have become "classic" that were new wave back then: Talking Heads, the Clash, U2 (debut album) and Devo. Instead of listing the artists, just listen to the music. You'll probably now many of these tunes. 

All podcasts available at brennick.net. Stop by to listen and leave comments, especially if you liked this podcast. Next regular transmission will be Sunday. Thank you.
  • Good to hear an actual local band near the end there :)
  • We re-did our kitchen about 5 years ago (time flies). When we did that,I looked around and said, "Now that we have a nice kitchen, it would be nice if we used it to make good food." So I started actually cooking - looking at recipes and making good food. Part of this was done to make sure we ate better food - I like to know more about what I'm actually eating, and I've been cutting out (or reducing) items that are bad. The results are good.I'm actually pretty good at following recipes (and experimenting), with great results.

So today I'm making lamb for Greek Easter. It's my first, but the recipe seems pretty easy - I hope it turns out well.

Today's podcast starts with a new song from Courtney Barnett - I love her new album. From there we get Elastica, Little Richard, Robert Palmer, Gene Clark, Maria Muldaur, Flo & Eddie, Del Shannon, Johnny Burnette, Joe Ely, Screaming Trees, Family, Alice Russell, Stevie Wonder, the Temptations, and ending with Tony!Toni!Tone! (how emphatic). 

Today's podcast is brought to you by the letter "B" and the number "3". Please check out this podcast and all others at brennick.net. Leave comments and suggestions, explore the site for other podcasts, and share with friends. Thank you for listening.  
  • I'm posting late - I was kidnapped this morning and forced to have fun. We went to Plum Island, near Newburyport, MA. We share a beach with the piping plovers- they get 90% of the beach and we get the ends of the beach. There's still plenty of space to walk, and the park is a nature preserve where we can see many birds. So I spent my morning walking around the preserve and walking the small amount of beach available to humans (the piping plover is endangered and their nesting areas are closed to the killer humans - which is most of the beach). Good for them - we have plenty of beach to walk. 

On today's podcast we hear from today's sounds as well as digging into the past. We start with a new one from Lower Dens, then go to Siouxsie and the Banshees, Husker Du and Johnny Rivers. The cycle begins anew with a new one from Ryley Walker, then Nick Drake, Jeannie C. Riley and Simon and Garfunkel. We then go to the Zombies, the Beatles, Teenage Fanclub, Trashcan Sinatras, Rufus Thomas, Little Willy John, John Lee Hooker, Buddy Guy and Albert King. 

The plovers would like to remind you that it's their beach - stay off of it,dammit; and that all podcasts are available at brennick.net. Leave a comment or suggestion and tune in each week for a new podcast. And hey - special podcasts occasionally crop up mid-week.Thank you for listening.
  • I've been killing myself this week - I've had problems uploading files to the blog, so potentially there was no podcast this week. I have limited technical skills here and did not know how I was going to fix this. 

Finally, I found a way to access all my files on my website (I know, I know - that seems easy, and something I should have done earlier). My goal was to ftp the files over, but when I looked, there were many copies of the podcast that supposedly had not uploaded. A quick check proved that the file did indeed play, so I'm good to go (I'll have to scrub the extra files off at some point). The life of a part-time blogger.

On today's podcast we start with songs I swear I've played on podcasts before. I know I did a number of podcasts that didn't make it to air, but it couldn't have been that many - ok, maybe there were about a dozen. We start with the Silos, then go to Irma Thomas, Eurythmics and Romeo Void to end the first set. From there we have Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes, Joan Armatrading, Woodentops, the Friends of Distinction, Lee Dorsey, Johnny Adams, James Brown, Gene Vincent, Little Feat, the Byrds and wrap up with the Buffalo Springfield. 

Listen, comment and suggest at brennick.net. The pods are there - listen to the new one and older ones as well. Thanks for listening.
  • In 1985 I was trying to be a responsible adult. I had a full-time job, a wife and a son (and I still have all 3, albeit a much better job). I didn’t have the time I used to have to stay up with music, but I did make a valiant effort. Since MTV had captured the world, I did watch that station quite a bit. They had a show with Peter Zaremba called The Cutting Edge that I used to watch (new wave music). I also started listening to WFNX – the Boston Phoenix radio station. They started out by saying they had no format and would play anything – a whole side of Keith Jarrett next to a Black Sabbath song, but they pretty quickly settled on “alternative radio” – you know, the music not played on most other classic rock stations. 

The result is that I ended up staying in touch with most new music from 30 years ago, and now I’ll share some of my favorites from that year. We start with Talking Heads, then the Blasters, Marshall Crenshaw and the Replacements to end the first set. WE then move on to Aretha Franklin, Eurythmics, Sade, Kate Bush, Stevie Ray Vaughan, John Hiatt, the Style Council, Lone Justice, Hoodoo Gurus and finally, The Cure. 

Thank you for tuning into this special PB Podcast featuring songs from 30 years ago. I'm posting this on Wednesday, special pod day. Regular podcasts are posted on Sunday mornings. All podcasts are available at brennick.net. Stop by to listen or download, what ever is better for you to listen. Leave comments and suggestions, and how to improve these podcasts - I'm always looking to get better - I've got a ways to go. Remember to stop by this Sunday for another edition - and thank you for your attention.
  • I hate to harp on this, but the weather until yesterday has not been great this spring. Temperatures are supposed to jump beginning today, so we'll see. With a scheduled high of 82 Fahrenheit on Monday, maybe we're skipping spring and going straight into summer - I'll take it.

On today's podcast we start with a spring set from the Lemon Drops, the Graham Bond Organisation, Go-Betweens and the Kinks. From there we listen to Urge Overkill, Ocean Colour Scene, the Velvet Underground, the Who, King Crimson, Johnny Thunders, Wet Willie, Barrence Whitfield and the Savages, the Cars, Mink Deville, the Zombies and J. Mascis. 

Every Sunday I've putting up these podcasts - it's almost been a year. Head over to brennick.net to stream or download this and other podcasts. Leave comments and suggestions, and share if you'd like. Special podcasts appear on random Wednesdays - check those out as well. Thank you for your attention. 
  • Started the podcast but got really sleepy - a bit unusual for me, but changed things up a bit in recording the podcast. Don't know if age is catching up with me, because there are days when I find it's tough to do much - I never had those days when I was young. I'm also slowing down on reading lately - that's usually a sign that it's time to change my eye prescription. I've worn reading glasses since my 20's-not necessarily age-related.My distance glasses, however, are age-related. I used to have 20/15 vision -now I'm on the path to full-time glasses (hopefully many years away-let's hope).

On today's podcast we start with the Beatles (see title of post), then go on to the Rolling Stones,the Blind Boys of Alabama, the Staple Singers, Dwight Yoakam, Neko Case, the Paul Butterfield Blues Band, Barrence Whitfield and the Savages, Arthur Alexander, James Carr, O.V. Wright, Clarence Carter, Sam and Dave, Crosby and Nash, Moby Grape, Traffic and Bob Weir.  

Please visit brennick.net to stream or download this podcast. We're 50 or so weekly podcasts in, and all the previous ones are avaialble on the site as well. Special podcasts are also at brennick.net - indulge yourself. Comments and suggestions are always welcome - tell me what you like (and don't like). More to come! Thank you.
  • Hello and welcome to one of my midweek podcasts. This is a jazz podcast, and in putting it together, I was pleasantly surprised by the amount of new jazz I had purchased this year, so 8 of the 9 songs were released in 2015, and the final song was from 2014. 

I feature 3 songs form the Smoke Sessions Label, which started in 2013. I have found all of the music to be outstanding - if there are any Smoke Sesssion albums I have not yet purchased, I probably will get them. They are that good. I mention that there were 4 albums released in 2015 - the 4th was just released this week, which is why I don't have it yet (it's the new Vincent Herring album - I already own another CD of his). 

So sit back and listen to Harold Mabern, Beppe Di Benedetto, the Sylvain Charrier Tentet, Eddie Henderson, Steve Turre, Jared Gold, Stanton Moore, Chris Lightcap's Bigmouth, and Kamasi Washington.  

Please visit brennick.net to stream or download this podcast. We're 50 or so weekly podcasts in, and all the previous ones are avaialble on the site as well. Special podcasts are also at brennick.net - indulge yourself. Comments and suggestions are always welcome - tell me what you like (and don't like). More to come! Thank you.
  • Hello and welcome. Today is a very special day - I've been doing my podcast for a year now. I've enjoyed putting together these podcasts for you, and I have a small but sincere audience who listens - thank you. If not for you I would have stopped doing this and been very frustrated. 

I think that I've made a lot of improvement since I started - it's certainly easier for me to talk about what I have played on the show - I hope you think I've gotten better. Onto the second year of shows...

We've got some new songs to play today as well as some more of the classics. We start with Rose Windows, then go to Heart, My Morning Jacket, Hot Chocolate, The Mavericks, Shelby Lynne, Dusty Springfield, The Kills, Ann Peebles, The Bamboos, The Cowsills, The Temptations, Spirit, Blur and Brian Eno. 

All podcasts from last year are still available at brennick.net. Stream or download, leave comments and suggestions, and please continue to check out the web page - more will be in store for the site this year. Hey - is anyone having problems streaming? Please let me know - someone told me that he had some problems with lagging the other day - first I've heard of any technical problems. Thank you for listening.
  • My dog's 13th birthday was on May 5. She had diarrhea for the next week, but then it cleared up. The last Saturday, she became very lethargic and stopped eating. We took her to the vets on Tuesday but she still didn't get better. Yesterday (Saturday) we took her to the emergency clinic, where she was given additional medication - we hope she gets better. 

She has a bladder infection that hurts her arthritic back-end, so she is having problems walking (or even getting up). Her stomach is also distended, and she hasn't really eaten in a week. She did have some ice cream and chicken broth (with some chicken) today - it's a good sign. Get well soon, pup.

On today's podcast we start off with American Music Club, then onto Maria Muldaur, Southern Culture on the Skids, The Saxons, Maxine Brown, The Supremes, the Jackson Five, Squeeze, John Martyn, Morrissey, Sinead O'Connor, AL Green, Creedence Clearwater Revival and Television. 

Please visit brennick.net to stream or download this podcast, and hey! Check out the other podcasts that are there - all are still available to stream or download. Leave comments and suggestions and tell me what you like and what you'd like to hear. It's always a pleasure to put together these podcasts, and I'm happy that there are a few hearty souls who check out the podcast. Thank you for listening.
  • Get better, pup!

Craig
  • Fiona is no more. She didn't get any better, and we ended her life. It was pretty sad - although she was not eating, drinking or going to the bathroom, her bladder infection had cleared up, so she was walking close to normal again. The Doctor said the next step would be hospitalization that would cost thousands of dollars and could still end up without her getting better. The decision was easier to take, but still difficult to do.  Man, I'm near tears now just writing this.

On today's podcast we start with a theme - see if you can guess by the first 4 artists. Then we move on to general music through the end. We start with Bo Diddley, Jr. Walker and the All-Stars, Jonathan Richman with the Modern Lovers, and, uh, Warner Brothers. Nest is Pretty Things, Modest Mouse, Leonard Cohen, Massive Attack, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, James Brown, the Young Rascals, Tommy James and the Shondells, the Ronettes, the Band, Stevie Ray Vaughan and the dB's. 

This podcast is available for streaming or downloading at brennick.net. All previous podcasts are also still available. Did you know you could leave comments and suggestions there? Well, you can - please do. Have others listen as well - share the podcast. Thank you for listening, and hope you continue to tune in every week. 
  • I'm so sorry to hear this.
    They are so much like family.
    For some, it's like losing a little 4 legged daughter.
    This was the case for us after nearly 25 years with 
    one sweet beautiful calico cat. 
    Time helps tho.
  • edited June 2015
    Sorry to hear of your loss, Bremble. That's hard. We have a very aged cat and and are kind of starting to brace ourselves.
  • Seems to have been a bad stretch for emusers pets.  Pretty sure I mentioned we lost our dog a couple months ago too, and I saw another one on Facebook from one of us.

Craig
  • What a strange run of coincidences. Our cat is now 15 years old and is beginning to look aged, as well as losing her hearing over the last year or so. We do wonder about her potential longevity - we've been gently preparing the grandchildren for the inevitable.
  • Well, I too am very sorry for your loss. It reminds me how much I still miss my little 3 legged sheltie/cocker cross Carrie and our cats Ouchie and Tyrone. Fiona will be in your thoughts forever.
  • Thank you all for the heartfelt sympathy toward my dog. It's been tough, but we're getting through it. 

Since I've gotten all fat and lazy lately, I decided that I needed to get onto better shape, so I've started the "Couch to 5k" app on my iPhone. I just completed the first workout in week 3, which is the first workout that's really gotten me to work up a sweat. Maybe I wasn't as horrible as I thought. On my own I'd wonder about the efficacy of the app, but my sister-in-law went through it recently and just ran her first 5k, so I'll keep it up. 

Or, I'll keep it up as long as my back lets me. I have a bulging disk in my back which limits workouts, but so far so good. I hope I don't wake up one morning unable to move without being in great pain. Road work is supposed to be bad for the back - I haven't had any problems yet. And no problems with legs, shins, etc. Let's get in shape!

Today's podcast won't do much to help the workouts - maybe save me from drowning. We start with Billy Bragg, then go to Deerhunter, Paul Weller, Los Lobos, the Smithereens, Ray Charles, Joe Simon, O.V. Wright, Shemekia Copeland, Johnny Copeland, Charlie Musselwhite, Tracy Nelson, Dire Straits, B.B. King and John Hiatt. 

Listen every week by going to brennick.net to stream or download the latest podcast (and every other podcast - all still available). Special podcasts appear on some Wednesdays - check back this week for a new one. Comments and suggestions are always welcome. Share with others - Summer's a great time to share. Thank you for listening.  
  • I was thinking about doing a B.B. King tribute after the legend died, so I started gathering up some blues records. Thought I'd do a brief history and show where B.B. King stood in the pantheon. A funny thing happened to me, though - I started out playing old-time blues records and never really got past the 1930's. So this turned into a old blues podcast, with the focus on the early legends of the blues. I open with a couple of songs form the 1960's, when old blues guys were being rediscovered by the folk music gang - we get a couple of strong tracks from Blind Willie McTell and Son House. The we dive back into the past and stay there for an hour. 

So listen to Blind Willie McTell, Son House, Bukka White, Emmett Miller, Charley Jordan, Blind Joe Reynolds, Josh White, Little Brother Montgomery, Furry Lewis, Tampa Red, Big Maceo Merriweather, Roosevelt Sykes, Ma Rainey, Sister Rosetta Thorpe, Bessie Smith, Blind Blake, Pete Johnson, Sleepy John Estes, an Bert Snake Root Hatton. 

Thank you for listening to this Wednesday post - and listen every Sunday for the regular weekly posting at brennick.net. Now let's enjoy some songs that are at least 70 years old.
  • I'm just so upset at this that I need to rant a minute. The attack in Charleston, SC was horrible, but some of the responses to the attack were just as bad. It was racially-motivated, but to have the governor of the state say "we'll never understand what motivates anyone to enter one of our places of worship and take the life of another" just allows racism to continue to be ok with racists.  Racism has to be confronted. For anyone to think that we're beyond racism - institutionally or otherwise - is naive at best but mainly racist (e.g. the Supreme Court's decision to gut the 1965 Voting Rights Act and Bill O'Reilly's "open season on Christians and white men" comment). Time for some adult conversation to recognize and stop the racism that still exists and obviously won't go away because we think it has. 

We start today's podcast with a trio of soul songs from Curtis Mayfield, Charles Bradley and Marvin Gaye. Then we go onto the Jayhawks, Torres, My Bloody Valentine, Bob Mould, John Cale, John Mayall, Maria McKee, Material Issue, Richard Thompson, Linda Lewis and Neil Young.   

Please got to brennick.net to stream or download this and all other podcasts. Thank you.