I started a podcast

Comments

• It's been a quiet summer up here in New Hampshire. Haven't really taken a lot of time off, and there have been no huge life-altering occurrences in my life. That's good - as we age, there seems to be more sadness and wistfulness than other emotions, and we haven't had to deal with that this summer. 

It's very hot, and very dry. My lawn is pretty much dead, as is the neighbors' lawns. We've all given up on lawns this year - no one's watering the lawns (the cost of water is crazy), and no one is mowing much, either. The only growth has been some crab grass, and we're letting that grow. Let's enjoy what's left of summer, and hope the end of hurricane season is quiet this year.

There's a lot of great songs on today's podcast, with tunes by Jerry Butler, the Beatles, Small Faces, Quicksilver Messenger Service, Dinosaur Jr., Wild Beasts, Haley Bonar, Savages, Charlie Rich, the Monkees, Mike Nesmith, O.V. Wright, Lou Reed, And David Bowie.

This podcast is available to stream or download at brennick.net. Thank you for taking the time to stream or download this podcast, or any of the other podcasts, all of which are at brennick.net and are all still available at the site. Please leave comments and suggestions at the site (I do read the comments), and share this with other like-minded friends. Thank you.
  • It's been awhile since I had a jazz podcast (June 1), so it's time for another. These cuts are all from recent purchases - many are 2016 releases, but some are "classic" recordings. Although I do try to stay abreast of what's going on currently, I still love the old jazz recordings, too. 

So let's sit back and enjoy some jazz - some new, some old, all great, including tunes from Arthur Vint and the Badlands, Bad Bad Not Good, Billy Harper, Coleman Hawkins & Ray Bryant, Chet Baker, Allen Toussaint, George Coleman, Thad Jones & Mel Lewis, Herlin Riley, and Oliver Nelson.

This podcast is available to stream or download at brennick.net. Thank you for taking the time to stream or download this podcast, or any of the other podcasts, all of which are still available at the site. Please leave comments and suggestions at the site (I do read the comments), and share this with other like-minded friends. Thank you.

• Merriam Webster defines civility as polite, reasonable, and respectful behavior. The internet age has not ushered in a new age of civility. For some reason that escapes me, internet trolls attacked Leslie Jones - first in vicious twitter attacks, then by hacking her website. While most people have condemned these actions, there are a few who are delighted by this turn of events. 

Please, let's be more civil when addressing people on the internet. If you wouldn't say something to someone in person, don't think that the internet gives you the anonymity or distance needed to let loose with hateful speech. Many types of people post on the internet with varying viewpoints. I don't agree with everything I read, but I (or my viewpoint) gain nothing by attacking any particular post, even if I think it would be "funny." 

Let's keep it civil out there, my friends. Today's podcast features many artists who practice (or practiced) civility - we'll forgive some of their slip ups which are not reflected in these songs. So enjoy  Lush, the Bees, Fountains of Wayne, the Heavy, Terence Trent D'Arby, Marvin Gaye, Edwin Starr, Martinho de Silva, Anelis, the Sex Pistols, Richard Barone, Paul Weller, and For the Kings.

This podcast is available to stream or download at brennick.net. Thank you for taking the time to stream or download this podcast, or any of the other podcasts which are all still available at the site. Please leave comments and suggestions (I do read the comments), and share this with other like-minded friends. Thank you.
  • Hello, we're back in 1971 for a third time. Take a look at the artists and you'll see why I said that 1971 was a great year for music. The artists also portend why music after 1971 might not be as strong - lots of losses in 1970 and 1971. 

So let's enjoy another set of great music from 1971, with Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix, the Doors, the Allman Brothers Band, Tom Jones, Chase, the Grass Roots, Ringo Starr, Joni Mitchell, Leonard Cohen, Cat Stevens, Bob Dylan, Bill Withers, Funkadelic, Donny Hathaway, and the Beginning of the End.

This podcast is available to stream or download at brennick.net. Thank you for taking the time to stream or download this podcast, or any of the other podcasts, all of which are still available at the site. Please leave comments and suggestions at the site (I do read the comments), and share this with other like-minded friends. Thank you.
  • What do holidays mean to you? Are the origins and meaning of the holiday important? Memorial Day is the unofficial start of the summer - July 4 is the official start of summer, and Labor Day is the end of the summer celebration. As such, there is nothing wrong with celebrating the beginnings and end of summer with the days off many of us receive, but I have been trying to honor why these days are on the calendar. 

Labor Day was started back in the late 19th Century in America. The U.S. Government made it a federal holiday in 1894. Labor Day "honors the American labor movement and the contributions that workers have made to the strength, prosperity, and well-being of the country (Wikipedia)." Let's take a few minutes today to honor the labor movement this weekend as we celebrate the end of summer (although with this heat will summer ever really end?).

To help us celebrate the weekend, why not toss on my podcast? Listen to tunes by Lydia Loveless, Tindersticks, Richard & Linda Thompson, the Golden Palominos, the Cars, Garland Jeffreys, the Go-Betweens, the Monkees, Of Montreal, the Cure, Cocteau Twins, Neko Case, Saint Etienne, and My Morning Jacket. 

This podcast is available to stream or download at brennick.net. Thank you for taking the time to stream or download this podcast, or any of the other podcasts which are all still available at the site. Please leave comments and suggestions (I do read the comments), and share this with other like-minded friends. Thank you.
  • edited September 2016
    Well, it's back to school time. This should be the end of at least the first week of school wherever you are (in the USA, anyway). I loved the anticipation of going back to school, mainly to see friends, as we lived in a very small town. As far as school went, I was a bright but, uh, restless(?) student who found himself in trouble with teachers often (until high school, anyway).But reuniting with friends? Priceless. Recently it was Dennis Adams' birthday, and I remembered that I had a picture of us from back when we played Little League Football. I found the photo and posted it on Facebook. We started tagging the other boys in the photo and have identified most of the other players, with help from a few of the other guys, like Craig Leach. This turned out great - what a response we heard from others. This picture is over 45 years old (I'd say 46 or 47 years), and it brought back some great memories. Hey, others should see if they have old photos like this (I'm sure that this is the only one I have from the years of baseball and football that I played) and post them for others to see and tag. We're not getting any younger. So enjoy getting ready for some football with today's podcast, which has Margo Price, Pentangle, Savoy Brown, Ry Cooder, Dr. Feelgood, Guadalcanal Diary, Julian Cope, Brian Protheroe, John Cale, Chaka Khan, the Heavy, ZZ Top, Tim Buckley, Ollabelle, and Ryley Walker. This podcast is available to stream or download at brennick.net. Thank you for taking the time to stream or download this podcast, or any of the other podcasts which are all still available at the site. Please leave comments and suggestions (I do read the comments), and share this with other like-minded friends. Thank you.
  • In 1991, I was working for the University of New Hampshire, where I would be for ten years. So the economy was very good that year. Anyone who has taken economics knows that economy stands for the running of the household, so I'm talking a very local economy. 

1991 was the year of Operation Desert Storm, our first foray (folly) into Iraq. Also, Apartheid formally ended in South Africa, and Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania got independence from the Soviet Union, and yes, it was still the USSR, although that was dissolved on December 26 of 1991. 

We also had music that year. C&C Music Factory had a big hit with "Gonna Make You Sweat (everybody Dance Now)" (although Bryan Adams'"(Everything I Do) I Do It For You" was the #1 song of the year). It was a time of good music overall - some dubbed it the best year of the 1990's. I don't know about that, but I've put together a real strong podcast of music from 25 years ago, with music from R.E.M., Matthew Sweet, Crowded House, Marshall Crenshaw, Seal, Massive Attack, the KLF, Richard Thompson, Julian Cope, the Pixies, Robyn Hitchcok & the Egyptians, the Smithereens, and Elvis Costello. 

• What's up? Not much happening here. We're slowly easing into autumn here, with temperatures in the 80's, little to no rain, and...wait, that's not September weather. Ok, I see some thunderstorms predicted for the next two days, and temperatures dropping into the high 60's next week. Where's my cooler weather? 

Let's listen to some music and dream of fall with today's podcast , which includes the Blue Aeroplanes, It's Immaterial, Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine, Killing Joke, the Nuns, Prince, Lonnie Brooks, Roomful of Blues, Curtis Salgado, Junior Kimbrough, John Prine, Tim Hardin, Townes Van Zandt, and Arlo Guthrie.

• Maybe it is fall - last night's temperatures were in the low 40's, which leads to an annual fight between my wife and me: I like having the window open, even in the cold. Maybe because I grew up in a house that didn't have great insulation I don't mind a cool bedroom. It's what blankets are for. My wife doesn't care to get up and be in a room that's cool in the morning, though - the house she grew up in was built 130 years after my parents' house was built. You just have to be efficient when you get up - once you start moving around you don't feel the cold (my argument). She disagrees.

Oh, she wins the fight - the window will be closed and not reopened unless it gets hot again, or until springtime. I've given up on having fresh air at night for 7 or so months. Today's podcast is a cool breath of fresh air, maybe the last of this year. So breathe along with the Connells, the Divine Comedy, XTC, Dr. John, Them, the Beatles, the Kinks, the Who, Sturgill Simpson, Marshall Crenshaw, Violent Femmes, Soul Coughing, the Style Council, O.V. Wright, Little Richard, and Stevie Wonder.

• Today is the last installment of music from 1971, my fourth. What a year for music! This last podcast deals specifically with what became progressive rock. The seeds of prog began in the mid- to late-1960's, as "psychedelic" music expanded the horizon of music (or, maybe they just kept playing the same song forever because they forgot how to end a song). There is also a classical influence, as young musicians who were classically trained turned to rock (like Keith Emerson and Rick Wakeman). 

The apex of the progressive rock movement is pretty much tied to the 1971-1973 era, and 1971 certainly had many defining albums, including Pink Floyd's Meddle and Jethro Tull's Aqualung, which was a very grand concept album. Getting an hour's worth of music was easy to do, so let's go back 45 years and hear tunes from Focus, Can, Emerson, Lake and Palmer, Yes, Genesis, Jethro Tull, Frank Zappa, Hawkwind, Pink Floyd, Curved Air, and Yes.

• There was another story of a fatal shooting by the police last week, but it got no national play because the the officer and the victim were white. Few details are available at this time, only that the victim called the police, the police showed up, and then the policeman shot the victim three times. The New Hampshire Attorney General's office is investigating the shooting, and they are not releasing any information.

Part of the tragedy is that there were no witnesses to the shooting, so the events of what happened will be taken from the policeman's point of view. There's been no speculation as to what's happened (and for the sake of the family, please don't speculate). I'm sure that whatever happened the shooting could have been avoided. Although not part of the current national conversation about police shootings, I think that what is true is that the police are using lethal force far more quickly than they have in the past. Even if the shootings are justified, it is happening too often, and the families are left with a huge void. It's been a sad week. 

Let's lament and listen to music from King Creosote, Bob Moses, Teenage Fanclub, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, the Handsome Family, Fred Neil, Macy Gray, Lower Dens, Skye & Ross, Talking Heads, Guadalcanal Diary, the Velvet Underground, and Bruce Springsteen.

• I've got nothing for today - I'm disgusted by the ongoing election, which has become even more of a circus than normal. Is there other news? Haiti was hit hard by hurricane Mathew - let's help them out as much as we can. And although it didn't hit the U.S. as hard as it hit Haiti, many places down south got nailed, too. 

Let's take the time, on Native American Day weekend (I know, it doesn't trip off the tongue as it does to say Columbus Day, but since I'm a bleeding heart type, forget Columbus), to reflect and listen to some great music. 

On today's podcast you can listen to the Black Keys, Ian Hunter, Holly Golightly, Angela Strehli, Muddy Waters, Li' Ed and the Blues Imperials, Otis Rush, Lou Reed, Bjork, Delaney and Bonnie, Otis Redding, Dr. Feelgood, Ducks Deluxe, Brinsley Schwarz, and Steve Cropper.

• Quick, who won the Nobel Prize for Literature in 2015? Svetlana Alexievich of the Ukraine. Haven't read anything by her? How about in 2014? Patrick Modiano. I only know because I looked them up. Does Bob Dylan deserve to win for Literature in 2016? Does anyone really care? 

I've read a bunch of stuff about Dylan winning, and beyond the Nobel voters and authors who get snubbed, I don't see the cause for excitement. I am a huge Bob Dylan fan, so that probably colors my response. Why not Dylan? His lyrics can be transcendent (like "Masters of War" - go look them up), and his entire life seems to be very literary (and made up - don't forget the stuff he's fabricated about himself through the years - mostly as a lark, I'd say). Why shouldn't he get the prize?

In a way I'm sure that part of selecting Dylan for the Prize was to get people talking about the Literature Prize. While Alexivich and Modiano are no doubt deserving of the award, no one spent much time talking about them. And maybe the committee who votes just doesn't like Phillip Roth (to name one of the "deserving" authors who hasn't won). What Dylan has done with his words and music has changed the course of music, and probably affected the culture immensely, even if what he's done isn't exactly "literature" in the strictest sense (or poetry, either. I've come to agree with the people who say lyrics aren't poetry, for boring reasons that I won't go into here). 

So let's celebrate the Dylan win by listening to this week's podcast, completed before the prize was awarded, so no Dylan (but Donovan, one of the new Dylans that popped up occasionally). This week's podcast has Drive-By Truckers, Johnny Winter, Jo Jo Gunne, the Charlatans, Junior Parker, Otis Blackwell, Darrell Banks, the Five Royales, Spizzenergi, Joe Jackson, Adam & the Ants, the Buzzcocks, the Damned, Donovan, R.B. Greaves, the Box Tops, Al Green, and Alison Moyet.

• I'd like to thank everyone for wishing me a happy birthday - it's a small but sweet gesture that is appreciated. I don't really celebrate birthdays much - my wife and I did go out to eat, but there were no gifts or birthday cake. I don't eat much for dessert anymore, and there's nothing that I need, so it's unnecessary to receive gifts, excepts ones of friendship and happy birthdays. I generally try to wish people a happy birthday and will work to do better in the future. It's a small but welcome note. 

Today's podcast has nothing to do with my birthday - I didn't receive any of these tunes for my birthday. Actually, it might be fun to do a podcast of music I got on my birthday - maybe next year. I am going to go see Elvis Costello this week, which is semi-related to my birthday. But let's listen to music form Nobel Laureate Bob Dylan, Jenny Hval, Los Lobos, Gilberto Gil, Norah Jones, Neil Young, Frank Zappa, Joe Strummer, T-Bone Burnett, and Elvis Costello. 

• Got a new jazz podcast for today - lots of new stuff for you as well as a couple of classics.

Please tune in and listen to Vicki Burns, Ella Fitzgerald, Macy Gray, Reuben Wilson, Arnett Cobb, One For All, Louis Hayes, Black Jazz Art Collective, Harold Mabern, Joe Farrell, and Vincent Herring.

• Today ends Daylight Savings Time for another year - what did you do with your hour? I'm not sure of the value of Daylight Savings anymore - turning back the clocks takes away the sun later in the day - I'm not sure I see the value there. 

Veteran's Day is at the end of the week, but other than that, it's a pretty quiet - oh wait, we have to vote on Tuesday (and end the endless campaign!). Go and vote - voting should be mandatory for all Americans, and somehow we should all be made to learn the positions of all the candidates - major and down ballot. No more uninformed electorates. That will go over well, I'm sure. But vote - it's your right!

Let's think about better days ahead with Esther Phillips, the Kinks, Lower Dens, the Shangri-La's, Talking Heads, the Who, Bob Dylan, Mink Deville, Bobby Bland, the Dum Dum Girls, Curtis Mayfield, Arcade Fire, Belle & Sebastian, and Mavis Staples. 

• Well, there was an election last week - you may have heard about that. The results were not as expected (by either side), and we are going to be living in a new reality very shortly. As a result, things have gotten tenser here in the U.S.A. (and around the world - people wonder if we've lost our collective minds - yes, yes we have). I have very low expectations over these next four years and will look for any sanity that I can find, but I will be working to improve the country - you should, too.

Finally, I do hope for the best. It's time to play the hand we've been dealt, and hope that everything works out here. Let's all hope that our country continues to thrive. There'll be enough time to get mad and hurl insults at each other later. It's the calm before the storm.

This week's podcast started out a as a lark, which does not reflect the tone of the country right now, but let us persevere (on Wednesday we're getting another view from my wife). So let's think about good times with The Four Tops, Tony!Toni!Tone!, Lulu, Graham Parker, Peter Gabriel, the Jam, Jimi Hendrix, Leonard Cohen, Roxy Music, Siouxsie and the Banshees, the English Beat, Was (Not Was), NRBQ, Electric Light Orchestra, and Supertramp.

• We had an election here in the U.S. last week, with shocking results. The poll-leading favorite to win, Hillary Clinton, lost to Donald Trump. We will definitely be living in interesting times over the next four years. My wife did not take this well - she has been in shock that will continue for the foreseeable future. 

She was so angry that she came up to me and shoved a piece of paper into my hand and said, "I'm angry. Put these songs onto a podcast to show my reaction to the election." So I did. I always welcome comments and suggestions for the podcast, and I was happy to accommodate her, like I would anyone who asks. 

So as we remain shocked and angered at the election, listen along with Bob Dylan, R.E.M., the Rolling Stones, John Lennon, Alice Cooper, Melanie, the Bangles, Carole King, the Beatles, Crosby, Stills , Nash and Young, the Who, James Taylor, Aimee Mann, and Marvin Gaye. I've tried to block it all out (and listened to a ton of Jonathan Richman). I'm not sure what we do from here, but I'll be donating to Planned Parenthood as a start.

• Leonard Cohen, Leon Russell, Holly Dunn, Mose Allison, Sharon Jones - those are the latest artists who died over the last ten days. Has this year been awful for people dying, or what? Look, Cohen and Allison were in their 80's, so there was no great surprise there. We'll be losing aging rock and jazz guys a lot in the coming years. Leon Russell was 74, and they had to cancel concerts in 2017 that Russell had scheduled - so he wasn't planning on dying. Sharon Jones had pancreatic cancer that they thought was cured but came back. She was on her last legs - at 60. Holly Dunn had ovarian cancer and died at age 59. Along with all of the other artists who died this year, it's been a horrible year for deaths. 

So if someone who is aging is playing near you, go out and see him or her. Their legacy demands it, and their life expectancy is such that death may come at any time - death has not taken a holiday this year.  

When I out this playist together Leon was still alive - it's just a song I wanted to play, but it became a memorial by the time I put the recording together. So let's solemnly listen to Lone Justice, Lloyd Cole & the Commotions, the Replacements, the The, the Beatles, the Dukes of Stratosphear, Pink Floyd, the Ruts, Bob Marley & the Wailers, Toots & the Maytals, Leon Russell, T. Rex, Luke Winslow King, and Lydia Loveless on this week's podcast.

• edited November 2016
    ...and we lost Victor Bailey on the 11th at 56 too...

• 2016 has done a number on me - the year has not gone the way I thought it would, and it's time for me to re-examine my life to see what I should be doing in the future. Oh, I'll be fine, overall, but my thinking has become fuzzy, and it's time to bring my brain in for a tune-up. I'm not sure where I'll end up, but I'll let you know what's happening. 

Let's take a look at the music in this week's podcast - hmm, just a bunch of good music, chosen before the passing of Leon Russell, but he's given a proper send off. Let's listen to Leon Russell, Jerry Lee Lewis, the Lyres, the Breeders, Sleater-Kinney, Paul McCartney, Fleetwood Mac, Continental Drifters, Jonathan Richman, ABC, the Black Hollies, ESG, Van Morrison, the Psychedelic Furs, the Smiths, and Kula Shaker on this week's pod..  

• edited December 2016
    It's the first weekend in December - this crappy year is almost over! Of course, it also means that the Christmas season is heavily upon us, and has been since before Thanksgiving. Seems like stores make the changeover right after Halloween now, but we're full bore with Christmas music, advertising, Black Friday, advertising, Cyber Monday, advertising, and did I mention the advertising? If there's a war on Christmas, Christmas is winning. 

And I always seem to forget - what's the reason for the season? Shopping? I've begun my end of the year donations, which will continue throughout the month. I no longer buy presents for people (what do you need that you don't have?), and if pressed there'll be a donation made in your name to someone. I think the food bank will be getting some money this week. 

To help with the giving part of Christmas, let's hear some non-Christmas, but still worthy music, including The Flat Five, Dan Hicks & His Hot Licks, the Ditty Bops, Mike Watt, Taj Mahal, Liz Phair, Janis Joplin, Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings, the Olympians, Mavis Staples, Charles Bradley, the Beautiful South, the Clean, Diana Ross & the Supremes, and Arthur Alexander. This was sponsored by Planned Parenthood - did you know that they focus on women's health issues, and that the stuff people object to is a very small part of what they do? They need our support going forward. /soapbox. 

• edited December 2016
    Kate and I used to send out tons of Christmas Cards in our younger days. Although we usually didn't have a big "family newsletter", I usually wrote quite a bit in the cards. We tried to get Christmas cards that were different and amusing, rather than the run of the mill "Merry Christmas" cards. I hoped you liked our selections.

As time has passed and social media has taken over, our Christmas card list has dwindled to the point where we don't send out cards anymore. Sorry, U.S. Post Office, I used to send out lots of letters, bills, and Christmas cards - now most of my correspondence is done on the internet ("a series of tubes"). Oh, please keep sending cards to us - I still love getting cards, just don't expect me to reply. Perhaps I'll feel nostalgic one of these years and get back into card writing and sending. 

Instead of cards, let's listen to music. Today's podcast has Thunderclap Newman, Alison Moyet, Belly, Belle & Sebastian, Dion, Bruce Cockburn, Gil-Scott Heron, the Who, Adrian Belew, the Bears, King Crimson, the Be Good Tanyas, Fairport Convention, Gillian Welch, and Suzanne Vega. Enjoy!

• Hello everyone,

I'm sending out this jazz podcast a day late - just pure laziness on my part - it's not like I've been super busy these past few weeks. I'll be able to slow down soon, but I still have tons of stuff to do by year's end. 

Anyway, I've got some podcasts that I want to share with you before Christmas - my gift to you, and acknowledgement that I'll be busy the week after Christmas (will be in San Francisco for Christmas - New Year's). 

First up - a jazz podcast. The focus of this podcast is older items for the most part - just one new tune from Jane Ira Bloom. So let's listen to Charlie Christian, Dexter Gordon, Jane Ira Bloom, Duke Pearson, Teddy Charles, the Microscopic Septet, the Harold Land-Red Mitchell Quartet, Slide Hampton, and Shelly Manne.

• Well, what's Christmastime without Christmas songs? Back in the day, I used to put together Christmas Mixtapes - usually of a blasphemous nature ('cause, c'mon, everywhere has regular Carols and songs). This year I put together a more traditional podcast of Christmas music, for people to get in the mood (or to continue the Christmas mood). So pour a cup of hot chocolate, egg nog, or other favorite Christmas beverage (Scotch for me) and tune in to Nat King Cole, Johnny Mathis, Bing Crosby, Gene Autry, Barbara Streisand, the Jackson Five, Darlene Love, Chuck Berry, Rufus Thomas, Clarence Carter, Bob Dylan, Dwight Yoakam, Buck Owens, Loretta Lynn, George Jones and Tammy Wynette, the Waitresses, the Pretenders, the Ramones, and Meaghan Smith. This podcast is available to stream or download at brennick.net. Thank you for taking the time to stream or download this podcast, or any of the other podcasts which are all still available at the site. Please leave comments and suggestions (I do read the comments), and share this with other like-minded friends. Thank you.
  • Merry Christmas everybody! Happy Hanukkah to those who celebrate that holiday tradition. I'm posting a tad early today - I'm on the West Coast right now and won't be sure when I'll get up tomorrow (but it'll be later than on the East Coast).

We're in San Francisco - the excuse is to visit my nephew, but really the weather is much better and we like San Francisco. I'll let you know next week how things went.

On today's podcast we go back to regular music (I did a Christmas podcast earlier this week)with Hannah Epperson, Bridget St. John, Shirley Collins, Lydia Loveless, Exploded View, Petula Clark, the Doors, Osibisa, the Psychedelic Furs, Julian Cope, Elvis Costello, Warren Zevon, Fleetwood Mac, and Shelby Lynne. 

• Happy New Year's Day! We made it, but who knows to what we've made. I'm not one to make resolutions - it's one less disappointment when a resolution goes unfulfilled. I have general goals, which I also don't end up doing, but I always try to be nicer to people (maybe as nice - how could *I* possibly be nicer?), and to write more ( a 30+ year goal that goes unfulfilled - it's mostly these weekly updates). I do want to be more active politically (to your detriment, probably) - who knows how that will manifest itself. 

I hope all of you have a great year in 1939 2017. You can start by listening to my podcast, which this week has Throwing Muses, the Kitchens of Distinction, LCD Soundsystem, David Byrne, Santana, Steve Miller, Talk Talk, Gang of Four, Earth, Wind and Fire, Material with Whitney Houston, Leonard Cohen, Uncle Tupelo, and Neko Case.

• Before I go out to shovel what looks like a nuisance amount of snow (not a lot, but enough that it needs to be pushed around a bit), I'm going to examine what I am doing every week. Putting together a podcast is a labor of love and a hobby that I am happy to do (thank you everyone for your kind words about it), but mostly its therapy for me. The structure of selecting songs for a set, enough for an hour a week, writing it down and putting it together, talking into a microphone to organize what I've played, and then writing about it each Sunday is therapy for me. It keeps me busy and gives me what I feel is worthwhile time that I would otherwise be wasting cruising the internet (or something - reading, volunteering, etc.). 

I have pledged that in 2017 I will try to do more positive things in this world, and doing a weekly podcast and writing on Sunday mornings is a positive, so I'll keep doing it (as long as you keep listening). There are some work-related ideas that I'm working on as well that should prove to be very positive as well (housing advocacy, with some focus on tenant services in properties). Let's make this a great year! (I also need to work on my typing skills, which are pretty non-existent. The amount of basic editing I do is amazing - it's always teh for the, and many other basic keying errors that frustrates me to no end, not that I've done anything about it). 

So, onto this week's podcast, lovingly assembled that leads off with some heart, so lets listen to the 101ers, the Pains of Being Pure at Heart, the Gore Gore Girls, Buddy Holly, David Sylvian, the Ghosts of a Sabre Tooth Tiger, Arcade Fire, the Chameleons UK, exmagician, Martin Newell, Dreams So Real, Sarah Cracknell, the Style Council, and Blondie.

• edited January 2017
    Getting a bit of a late start today, as I watched my football team play last night. There's a question of whether we should be watching football anymore, but the playoffs is not a time to discuss such things. I am a true fan of my team, who although they are known now as one of the premier franchises in all of professional sports, when I first started watching them they were one of the most inept franchises in football. 

In 1970 they went 2-12, and ended up with the worst record and the number 1 pick. Jim Plunkett was our pick, and he did not have the luxury of starting his career as a backup, and they won 6,3,5 and 7 (.500 - 7-7!) games with Plunkett at the helm. They switched over to Steve Grogan (as Plunkett left to join the Raiders, where he was very successful in a football program that had a lot of success).

We had some good teams with Grogan at QB, but fell back to 2 wins after a 4 year run of pretty good teams ( 2 playoff appearances, both times losing). The 1980's were pretty successful ( including a bad Super Bowl loss) before once more showing their ineptitude by going 1-15 in 1990. Sometime during the 1990's the team was sold to a great owner who turned the franchise into the hated franchise it is today. Go Pats.

On today's podcast we look at the world with kaleidoscopes, discuss the heart, look at the number 1, and listen to some old-time country tunes with  Procol Harum, Ride, the Chills, the Dukes of Stratusphear, the English Beat, Tom Dickie and the Desires, Joe Simon, Elvis Costello, Harry Nilsson, Them, Ronnie Lane and the Slim Chance, John Lee Hooker, the Dave and Duke Combo, Hank Penny, Hank Williams, and kd lang.

• I think that we're at a place in the world where we have choices to make - we either focus on that which we have in common, or we divide by that with which we disagree. I have chosen to look at what I have in common with people and avoid the areas of disagreement that I find, especially on Facebook. Fortunately, the disagreements are not of a heinous nature, but disagreements that are political, or social. Oh, like many other people with whom I disagree, I think that you are wrong or misguided, but not bad or evil. I know people think of me in the same way, and that's ok - I'm not bad or evil, either (how could you even think that?).

Let's focus on what is good and decent in all of us and unite as we travel through life. Life's too short to focus on the negative - let's stay positive (note: I'm trying to convince myself on this point. It's hard). Believe me, the cynical part of me will return soon enough.

Staying poositive is a good way to view my selections for this week's podcast. Let's all get in our Kumbaya circle and listen to Procol Harum, Ride, the Chills, the Dukes of Stratusphear, the English Beat, Tom Dickie and the Desires, Joe Simon, Elvis Costello, Nilsson, Them, Ronnie Lane and Slim Chance, John Le Hooker, the Dave & Duke Combo, Hank Penny, Hank Williams, and kd lang.