The News Room

Comments

• edited February 2020
    If they've reset things back to October, I wonder how many people who have canceled their account in the interim will suddenly have an active account again and have their credit card charged.  Most people don't stay in touch with eMusic after they've quit the site.  Hell, most people probably don't stay in touch with eMusic while they're a member.
    Are they sticking to the explanation that it was unexpected difficulties encountered during site maintenance?  Have they explicitly stated it wasn't a ransomware (or other malicious hacker) incident?  It might be nice for eMusic to state definitively that it wasn't anything like that and that members, past and present, don't have to worry about their credit card info being compromised.
  • edited March 2020

Current93: “IF”: HEAR HERE OUR HER YOUR HERE NEW KEY = DIŠ URU = ŠUMMA ĀLU
    - "I and C93 are OverMoon to Spell you HERE the new C93 Key, “IF”, from our ForthComing Album, which is released on June 7th, to Hello our London Channelling. The film accompanying the song is made by the marvellous Davide Pepe. This KEY differs considerably from the KEY on the album. Anyway: 1—2—3—4—5—6—7—8 šumma ālu = 1… DIŠ URU = 1… 1—2—3—4—5—6—7—8"

• I’ve been watching this barred owl in her owl box for the past 5 weeks or so. I’ve seen all kinds of food come thru, both day and night, and various kinds of weather. One night this week was especially harrowing as she was being pelted by hail during a storm that came thru. I trade off between the interior and exterior views to watch both her and her mate’s comings and goings.

Anyway, at about 1AM (Central), she left her box and revealed that one of the eggs started to pop its top - little bits of shell were rising up as the newborn tried getting out. You’ll see this beginning after about a couple of minutes into the following video. Also, if you turn up your volume, you’ll hear the owlet inside the egg make some high-pitched chirps and click sounds.

Owl egg at the top

The next video begins with the owl leaving the nest again and you'll see the newborn owlet struggling - still with bits of shell attached. This was at about 3:30 Central Time this morning. Remember: turn up the volume. You’ll hear, not only the owlet making sounds, but the owls in the distance.
    Maybe they’re celebrating?

Owlet
  • edited April 2020
    rostasi said:
    I’ve been watching this barred owl in her owl box for the past 5 weeks or so. I’ve seen all kinds of food come thru, both day and night, and various kinds of weather. One night this week was especially harrowing as she was being pelted by hail during a storm that came thru. I trade off between the interior and exterior views to watch both her and her mate’s comings and goings.

Anyway, at about 1AM (Central), she left her box and revealed that one of the eggs started to pop its top - little bits of shell were rising up as the newborn tried getting out. You’ll see this beginning after about a couple of minutes into the following video. Also, if you turn up your volume, you’ll hear the owlet inside the egg make some high-pitched chirps and click sounds.

Owl egg at the top

The next video begins with the owl leaving the nest again and you'll see the newborn owlet struggling - still with bits of shell attached. This was at about 3:30 Central Time this morning. Remember: turn up the volume. You’ll hear, not only the owlet making sounds, but the owls in the distance.
    Maybe they’re celebrating?

Owlet
    Thanks for posting these updates. I couldn't resist the urge to reach in and turn that top egg to get a better look, but I didn't. To see that little beak start poking through was amazing. What a struggle! Then, to see that little owlet moving his future brother or sister around while trying to shake that shell off was more amazing. Now I'll have to search around to find more owls in field recordings. So beautiful. I notice that Mom has a little minnow waiting for the kids at the top of the box. What a great way to spend a pandemic.
  • edited April 2020
    Yeah, she's doing her own self-isolation. The other "kids" should be coming around in the next couple of days. The other two eggs were each laid about two days apart from each other, so that gives an approximate time.

This is the inside view:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8emLVvAQnI8

and this is the outside view (believe me, it's wanted when the partner comes visiting and/or she leaves):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNNTrW3sTmU

I've seen all kinds of food come thru that opening. crayfish, chipmunks, baby squirrels, trout, frogs, mice, ...  

Also, there's a 12 hour scrub on the bottom of the video so you can go back in time to see special events.
  • Thanks again. I'd forgotten where you first posted this. There's not much I enjoy more than watching things grow and hearing birds in the garden. Well, maybe listening to music/?.
  • I prefer hearing things grow and watching birds in the garden.
  • My first thought when I saw that owlet trying to poke through that egg was it reminded me that my giant alliums were poking their noses through the snow out front too.
  • About 10:12PM (central) tonight,
    there were two loud buzzy screech type sounds
    outside of the owl box. The second was so disconcerting
    to the owl that she immediately jumped up and went out the opening.
    It looks like in doing so, she kind of disturbed one of the eggs to the point
    where it opened up with the newborn struggling. I believe that the newborn would've
    come out within hours anyway, but, it was an unusual thing to see - and a bit of a gasp left my mouth when it happened.

2nd owlet

Our cat was interested as well...

• I figured out how to adjust the volume of the music so I can still hear the bird sounds in the background. It worked well with Post Mortem Photographs, I'll see how it fits with Pink Floyd. That scrub works great, I watched her chew up the eggshell and tried to figure out where the owlets eyes are. I assume those dark spots are their eyebrows(?).
  • Number 3! 
    :hatched_chick:
  • My wife & I were both watching at around 15:10 their time and got to see that little owlet get sort of dumped out of the shell.
  • edited April 2020
    Yeah, there’s some disheartening moments at times.
    At 5:57 (5:55 external cam), she was delivered a pretty good sized bluejay
    and it was placed in the box with a slew of other dead animals.
    It probably has to be pretty rank smelling in there.
    Nature in action tho.
  • edited April 2020
    I love how all of these bird updates are getting reported on the "News Room" thread.  In a world where checking out the news section can literally trigger a depressive bout or nervous breakdown, I can't sufficiently express how endearing and cathartic it is to read something tagged as "news" and read about birds.
    Speaking of "birds," obviously my site has grown dormant again as I fight the paralysis of getting a new site name, a new site design, and starting up a couple additional sister blogs.  In the meantime, however, me and another person have taken on the task of reviving the badly ignored reddit page r/ModernJazz.  I'm one of the moderators, and have been making notes about albums I'm liking plus posting various videos of albums I've enjoyed since first beginning my site.  In many ways, it's a return to the simple music forum posting I used to do before getting the eMusic gig and starting up my own site.
    Here's where the reddit page is at:
    Not sure if any of you are on reddit, but it's pretty simple to sign up for and use, and, personally, I haven't had any of the negative vibes that I get off most social media (aka twitter and facebook).  Though to be fair, I'm only subscribed to like three different reddit pages, so I've successfully kept myself out of any weirdness that may be out there.
  • I remember trying to find a good place to talk about the owls and figured that the news room was as close to general info as I could find.

It's been interesting, in so many multiple ways, watching the way these owls interact.
    ...and I'm referring to all kinds of interesting. Visually, I can see, in general, the call and response coupled with the bringing of food - so many different kinds of food - along with the idea of self-containment in a box that resonates with our current situation these days.

There's also the audio part too - a sound that I (and the people that I've passed the weblink on to) have found very comforting as room ambience especially during their own confinement.

...and really, from a personal viewpoint, I get to observe the habits of beings that I actually hear nearly every day (and especially night) right outside my window. The only thing that I'm a bit shaken about is the sheer number of my favorite "critters" who become part of the owl(et) buffet each night. 
  • Not sure if this is the right forum for this, but most eMusers will be interested in this:

From the BoingBoing post: I love the video interviews of composer and music educator, Samuel Andreyev. He shares an obsession with Captain Beefheart's Trout Mask Replica and he has so far conducted one-to-two-hour interviews with Magic Band members John French (Drumbo), Bill Harkleroad (Zoot Horn Rollo), and Mark Boston (Rockette Morton), all specifically on the making of Trout Mask. He's also done a brilliant half-hour analysis of the Trout track, Frownland.

• How about those owlets?
    How are they all going to fit?
    Where does all the poop go?
    So many questions!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8emLVvAQnI8
  • Ha! Yes, we’ve become so connected to this nest for the past couple of months.
    I’d get seriously nervous when she would leave the nest for hours at a time,
    but I’ve learned so much about their ways of parenting that I feel truly happy to
    get this education. “Is the youngest getting enough food?”, “Where is the father these days?” etc.
    Apparently, it rains quite a bit in the Indianapolis area. It is now.
  • My wife has it running on her computer too and we've been sharing interesting time periods on either of the cameras. Thanks again for posting it. I get up early and she sleeps in late. Life is great, in spite of this darned pandemic.
  • yeah, sometimes we have it on the big 65 inch screen.
    tonight, I’m concerned that she’s been gone for about 9 hours(!)
    ... and I've been watching this weird digging that one of them is doing at around 20:15.
  • Spooky, my wife and I were wondering the same thing. At the rate they're growing they must be starving. We wondered if that was how they mixed in the poop. Goodness, after all we've seen them eat they must have produced a lot of that. They seem to eat every thing.
  • One last one. Look away and food shows up. When did that happen? - 22:24 & 23:40 till 23:42 outside camera.
  • Yeah, we saw that last night. We were saying “Oh, good! Now we can go to bed” knowing they’d been fed. Hahahaha! Oh sheesh...
  • saw my 1st hummingbird of the season yesterday just west of Boston.  Snow possible this weekend ........
  • One of the owlets peers outside the box this afternoon:

https://youtu.be/ECPlLbhwUg8