The News Room

Comments

• edited March 2016
    Congratulations @cafreema !
    It certainly looks like a wonderful opportunity
  • Congrats, Craig! That sounds very worthwhile.
  • Congrats Craig - not sure the world needs more journalists but giving kids a chance to interact with touring musicians seems very cool.
  • Great stuff Craig, fantastic news
  • Jazz great George Duke's storied recording studio estate sells in Hollywood Hills

The Hollywood Hills estate containing the late jazz legend George Duke's Le Gonks West recording studio has sold for $2.35 million.

Looking like something straight out of the 1970s, the studio has a control room, a live room with sound isolation booths, office space, a bathroom and its own entrance. But it’s not all business. There’s also a lounge and a wine cellar. Duke bought the property in 1978 for $355,000.

Seems liked a missed opportunity - This would have been a great site for the eMusers' world headquarters
  • Oh, and well done @cafreema. Here's my volunteer gig: Open Books Chicago - Endeavoring to get kids reading/writing in any way possible. Book lovers should definitely stop by the store when passing through town!

• Hey, that's really cool, Craig!  Based on your MiG and eMusers work, it's obvious you've got a passion for that music scene... and that's the kind of thing that's contagious.  They made a great choice.  Good luck!
  • From Roomful of Teeth:

FRIENDS

Today is the LAST DAY to lend your support to a vital and important project featuring Roomful of TeethVisionIntoArt, New Amsterdam Records, Paola Prestini, Jeffrey Zeigler, Wilco's Glenn Kotche, John Luther Adams, Shara WordenWilliam Brittelle and many many others.

Learn more about the project HERE and help us reach the finish line!
    ABOUT THE COLORADO

THE COLORADO is a music-based documentary that explores the Colorado River Basin from social and ecological perspectives across history. The project is conceived as equal parts documentary film, live performance, and an educational tool with a full-length textbook for classrooms. With the intention of being the first in a series of multi-media projects about rivers, the mission of THE COLORADO is to create a crossroads between art, ecology, and regional history, while sensitizing audiences to pressing issues of our times. 

The ninety-minute live performance is an immersive and sensorial experience in which music and images play a central role. Narrated by the great Shakespearean actor Mark Rylance, the project draws on the combined talents of award-winning composers Paola Prestini, John Luther Adams, William Brittelle, Glenn Kotche, and Shara Worden with performances by the GRAMMY-winning vocal group Roomful of Teeth, cellist Jeffrey Zeigler, and percussionist Glenn Kotche. The script is written by conservationist and critically acclaimed author William deBuys and the team of filmmakers includes Sylvestre Campe, David Sarno, and Murat Eyuboglu.
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Website
  • edited April 2016
    Warp newsletter from today:

BRIAN ENO 
    LISTEN TO NEW TRACK ‘THE SHIP’

Brian Eno has shared ‘The Ship’, the title track, album opener and thematic core of his forthcoming album album. Running at 21-minutes and built around Eno’s cyclically sung verses, the song builds in ominous drama, snatches of distant voice and creeping electronics. Listen here.

- or here:

• edited April 2016

Soundcloud:  Announcing our partnership with Sony Music 

- "Today, we’re happy to announce more big news for the SoundCloud community: our deal with Sony Music Entertainment is now complete. With more than 110 million tracks on the platform, the addition of SME’s repertoire will make SoundCloud even more vast and diverse.

What does this mean for listeners?
    If you’re a SoundCloud listener, this means you’ll get even more tracks to discover and enjoy. You’ll soon have access to music from SME’s exceptional roster of emerging artists and global superstars.

What does this mean for creators?
    If you’re an artist signed to SME or its affiliated and distributed labels, including those distributed by The Orchard and RED Distribution, you’ll now have a way to make money off your tracks on SoundCloud. You’ll also get access to SoundCloud’s promotional tools, analysis and data in order to build deeper direct relationships with your fans.

If you’re not directly signed to Sony, there’s still good news. This deal further strengthens SoundCloud’s unique ecosystem as a place where all forms of music and audio creation can live.

Having deals in place with all three major music labels means we can continue to build a unique platform and empower our community of more than 18 million artists to share their work and connect directly with their fans. It also means listeners will have even more excellent music and audio to discover." 

• Quelle surprise. I think we all thought Carly Fiorina was going to put him over the top
  • Interesting news over at Bird Is the Worm - Congrats, Dave!
    I’m very pleased to announce that I will be writing two monthly columns for the Bandcamp site beginning in June. ..

• Who's Dave?  Do you mean Davos?

Craig
  • One of the intersting things from Jonah's announcement is that his link at Bandcamp is Joe Edward Keyes, formerly, of course, at emusic. One of the better people there in the day.
  • Hey, Thanks.

Just finished a nifty interview with Rob Mazurek for the first column.  I'm really excited to get the spotlight on his music for the Bandcamp crowd.  One cat, clearly jealous I wasn't paying her any attention, proceeding to walk around the room and knock things over and jump up on shelves she wasn't supposed to be on, just to teach me a lesson about paying more attention to the laptop than her.  The moment the interview ended, she decided it was time for a nap.  None of that information will make it into the column... consider it bonus behind-the-scenes footage made available by your premier eMusers membership account.
  • edited May 2016
    Great topic. Rob I mean, not the cat.

I'm looking forward to the new stuff coming up from International Anthem https://intlanthem.bandcamp.com/ Not only Rob but also Jeff Parker!
  • That Jeff Parker album is really good.  I haven't been able to listen to the whole thing yet, but I was able to sneak in a couple tracks before moving onto the next thing on my list, and damn they were good.
  • A newsroom query. Who is the "World famous singer" named in the USA today in a case with a hairdresser? This singer has a gagging order in the UK. I probably wouldn't have been concerned if I had not read about the court order!
  • Nothing appearing on a google news search yet.
  • Thanks Jonah. I've tried Google here, all its says will be released in US today, so maybe I am early!
  • edited May 2016
    "only my hairdresser knows for sure..."

Actually, i think it's Ozzy.
  • edited May 2016
    I'm mildly interested in how that whole gag order thing works in the UK.  I began looking into it, saw that Kate Winslet had sought one previously, saw a picture of Kate Winslet, and then was reminded how I still have a little bit of a crush on Kate Winslet, and now I'm no longer interested in the UK legal process.

Also, one of my keyword searches for hairdresser singer gag order returned a result of the Wikipedia page for Homer Scissorhands...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homer_Scissorhands

/furniture
  • If its the same person who is involved with another super injection there will be no suprises