The News Room

Comments

•  A world famous singer who obtained a gagging order to hush up claims he sexually harassed his hairdresser is to be named in the US today
    - definitely not Ozzy. Elton John perhaps ?  ;)
  • edited May 2016
    Yes, it's the Mirror, but I saw this from days earlier in the month.
  • Even I know that one! 
  • Did you ever find out who it is?  I'm curious if google and twitter searches are coming up with nothing because of this injunction, even though it's over in the UK.  Because if it is, this is a real lesson in how easily we can be shut off from information if the Powers In Charge want us to be... and it makes me wonder what else is being kept from us.  It also makes it even more imperative to keep the internet as much of a democracy as possible, because if one person or group can shut things down, there's no recourse.

Strange that some grab-ass in the green room can illuminate these sort of issues.
  • No I've heard no more. Eventually it will get out, because the England and Wales legal system is different from that in Scotland, and eventually a Scottish newspaper will publish details. See http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3607755/Star-harassed-hairdresser-exposed-judges-won-t-let-him.html for details!
  • A few more minutes on Google and I found this! http://www.civilunrest.co.uk/breaking-news/singer-robbie-williams-male-hairdresser-injunction-sexual-harassment/I think it is a waste of money stars fighting such cases - it will always escape, and actually putting an injunction on makes people like me want to find out. Otherwise I'd probably never heard of the case...
  • edited May 2016
    That's funny. I don't even know who Robbie Williams is.

Update:  I quickly scanned his Wiki page, and I still don't know who he is. However, he seems to have been a part of the boy band craze and then, later, whatever the UK equivalent of American Idol crowd would be.  Neither would be territory I'd have passed through.
  • edited May 2016
    jonahpwll said:
    That's funny. I don't even know who Robbie Williams is.

Update:  I quickly scanned his Wiki page, and I still don't know who he is. However, he seems to have been a part of the boy band craze and then, later, whatever the UK equivalent of American Idol crowd would be.  Neither would be territory I'd have passed through.
    Yup, he was a member of Take That and is actually a great entertainer (IMO)

Robbie Williams - Let Me Entertain You

• edited May 2016
    Maybe he hasn't made it big in the States, but here Robbie Williams is a big star.  Once, and occasionally still is, part of boy band Take That, he has had a string of major hits. A couple of years ago his album Swing Both Ways was a big seller. I've actually got several of his earlier CDs and his two with a swing band.
  • Boing Boing !

- Sorry . . . won't happen again ;)
  • edited June 2016

APHEX TWIN 
    ‘CIRKLON3 [ КОЛХОЗНАЯ MIX ]’

Taken from the ‘Cheetah EP’, out on 8 July, watch Aphex Twin’s first official music video for 17 years; ‘CIRKLON3 [ Колхозная mix ]’, directed by Ryan Wyer, age 12, of Rush, co. Dublin.

Cheetah EP
  • Edward Snowden at the opening of Roskilde Festival 2016:
  • It was interesting, thanks.
  •  
    "I Have Dreamed," the Richard Rodgers/Oscar Hammerstein II standard, is the latest offering from Nels Cline's Lovers - out Aug. 5 on Blue Note Records. Step inside the studio with Nels, conductor Michael Leonhart and the ensemble in the video above.

• Scott Walker news:

Bleep

• Yes, that poster is quite beautiful.
    I picked it up last year, but I've yet to frame it.
  • I'll be at the Chicago Jazz Festival, covering it for my site.

Not sure if any of the emusers crew will be there, but I figured I should say something.

Cheers.
  • But of course. Starting with this one Thurs afternoon, then taking it as it comes. Prob going to have to miss Sat night, but hope to be there at least part of each day otherwise. Hope we get a chance to say hello sometime during the proceedings!
  • edited August 2016
    I don't think my flight hits Chicago until 11:00am CST, so by the time I get my bags, Orange Line downtown, and get checked in at the hotel, I'll have missed those early Thursday shows.  I"m hoping to be able to catch the Charlie Haden film at 3pm at the Chicago Cultural Center, and then later that evening I def plan on hearing Orbert Davis, a long-time favorite of mine.

After that, I'll be hitting a ton of shows in the afternoon the rest of the weekend.

I need to get a new phone before I leave town.  I'll DM you the number (assuming this site still has DM functionality.  Otherwise, I can give you my new number via email).

Cheers.

P.S.  Beginning tonight, Bird is the Worm will have an embedded soundcloud player of festival musician tracks, and lots of preview posts starting Monday morning... in case anybody is curious what's what with the CJF 2016.
  • Kamasi Washington is going to be live tonight on Radio 3 Live at the Proms, on at 10.15pm UK time
  • I kind of wish I believed I was going to follow through on going to the Detroit festival...would like to hear Ron Carter and Brad Mehldau. But I was in Indianapolis last weekend, the semester is starting, and I am kind of tired, so I don;t think it is going to happen, sadly.
  • I think this is a link to the Radio 3 broadcast Lowlife mentioned above. Looks like it will be available through Sept.

Detroit Jazz Fest is a pretty good deal, as they tend to book bigger-name acts and all of the stages are in a central location. Downside of that central location is the very significant sound bleed between stages....literally a stone's throw from one to another (at least the last time I was there).

Will post a few pics from Chicago, if I can get any good ones! @jonahpwll is getting good links from the Jazz Fest website for his preview series.

• Thanks Lowlife, I'm sure I can get it on iPlayer. I'll follow Doofy's link above.
  •  

Dirty Projectors - Keep Your Name

- Fact Magazine
  • Do you have Facebook?  Would you like to help my non profit employer get a $3000 donation?

Vote for Avenues for Homeless Youth here.

Thanks!

Craig
  • Done. A commanding lead at the moment, no doubt due to the eMusers voting bloc...
  • I felt bad for youth farms. They sound nice too.