The News Room

Comments

• My Power Anthem is "Stix' Trix," which is a Johnny Griffin tune I apparently played on the Music Cloud a couple times

• No email for me, probably because I am on hold. (Though it's foolish of them to stop sending me promo emails while I am on hold...booster sales tend to lure me back. So there's one on right now?)
  • edited January 2017
    Foolish indeed . . . at the end of the email:
    And our gift to you - jumpstart 2017 with a sale on all boosters!

All Boosters On Sale Until 131

• I never get e mails from E Music which is strange as I have been a member for years
  • I contacted them about that once, and they said I had chosen an "opt out" setting somewhere. Not sure where, they reset it for me
  • Interesting Doofy - I got the same three recommendations!
  • I was wondering whether or not to mention those stats. For me 473 artists (average 151) and ahem songs 4846 (average 567). The use of the phrase "fans in your community" gave me a laugh. Oh and "Your 2016 anthem: No More In Thrall: IV. Traurige ?erheni"
    I have no idea what this is and presume their software just had a meltdown.
  • Ethan Diamond, CEO of Bandcamp announced today that 100% of their share of proceeds of today's sales (Friday) are going to the ACLU ... plus there are at least 150 other bands and/or labels that are giving to their own chosen organizations today.
    This morning, I got an email from Irritable Hedgehog saying that proceeds from their sales are going to the SPLC (which I've been a member of since the 80's) today as well.
    You may find others as you look around. Please consider.
  • I've had emails this morning with additional discount codes from Sunnyside and Cuneiform.
  • edited February 2017
    Me.  I'm in the news.

Aarik Danielsen of the Columbia Tribune interviewed me.

And as everybody here is tragically familiar with the rambling nature of my posts, not one person will be surprised when I say that this is Part One of a two-part interview...

http://www.columbiatribune.com/arts_life/art_axis/flights-of-fancy-writer-champions-under-the-radar-jazz/article_e87120da-f21b-11e6-abc4-cf0bb2841a49.html

Part Two of the interview hits tomorrow.

• Nice. I remember that emusic board discussion.
  • Congrats Dave. As I recall, there was a new  Miles Davis release (one of the bootlegs maybe), and the Ed staff wrote something like, We guess this is supposed to be a big deal or something. To their credit, they took the suggestion of hiring a writer who actually knew about jazz.

• For fans of The Man In The High Castle:

http://www.hillarybeattrump.org/

Dave, could you link the second part of your interview? I couldn't find it.

/lazy
  • No, not lazy. My searches on the site didn't bring it up.  I had to go to the post on my own site and follow the link.  Here it goes...

http://www.columbiatribune.com/arts_life/art_axis/flights-of-fancy-part-writer-champions-under-the-radar-jazz/article_6578d9c2-f2d7-11e6-b7aa-bbb6453cf17d.html

Cheers.

• amclark2 said:
    For fans of The Man In The High Castle:

http://www.hillarybeattrump.org/
    - Ah ! - so all this fuzz about the election of a raving lunatic was just fake news . . .
    I am so relieved !

Jazz Studies’ John Scofield Takes Home Two Grammy Awards

• I wish Brexit was fake news too!
  • Great article about jazz in the UK and really good Spotify list, The Chapter 7 is NYOP on Bandcamp and some are on E Music, spent a few pound this week on this

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2017/mar/15/jazz-london-moses-boyd-united-vibrations

• Thanks Lowlife, not sure how I missed the article. I suspect I will spend a few pounds too.
  • Oh bloody hell. An 'Update To The Mosaic Records Community' from Michael Cuscuna:

Dear Mosaic Friend,

In this time and place, the Mosaic business model is becoming harder and harder to sustain in this rapidly changing world. We aren't sure what the future will hold for us, but we want to let all of you know how much we appreciate that your support has allowed us to constantly make our dreams come true with set after set and that we intend to persevere. The way we operate may change but our mandate remains steadfast.

...We are not certain  how Mosaic Records will continue going forward or how many more sets we will be able to create and release. We've got a lot of great plans but few resources.

Scott and I want to thank every single person who has supported us, made suggestions, given advice and shown us such love and affection. If you are thinking about acquiring a certain set, now's the time.
    Whole letter here
  • got that today - thought about sending it to you when I finally got around to reading it about an hour ago. I have everything I want from them (which is an enormous lot) except the DVD set - which I bought last week.
  • @rostasi What do you think of the Threadgill set, if you have it? That's the one that's been whispering in my ear

• That was a no-brainer for me since I've been an incredibly big fan for decades
    (plus one of my drum teachers was Steve McCall).
    You can listen here.
  • edited May 2017
    From The Quietus:

Raster-Noton Restructures

Following the coming together of rastermusic and NOTON a number of years ago as raster-noton, the label will soon divide into two separate entities together.

From this month, raster-noton will be rebranded as raster-media and will continue to be operated by Olaf Bender, otherwise known as Byetone. The labels raster-music, raster-index and raster-archive will continue to release music under the raster-media axis.

NOTON will be controlled by Carsten Nicolai, otherwise known as Alva Noto, and all of his future releases will appear via the label. Both will still continue to pursue collaborative projects as raster-noton however, and in September of this year raster-noton will celebrate its 10-year anniversary at Electric Campfire Festival in Rome.

"The idea to restructure raster-noton has been in the air for some time already," says a statement by Bender and Nicolai.

"We absolutely wanted to celebrate our 20th anniversary in 2016 together without changing anything and tried to conclude this process, which means the years between 1999 and 2016, with the publication of our raster-noton. source book 1.

"Now in 2017, we want to go separate ways. The label 'NOTON' will take care of Alva Noto's musical projects, which includes both his solo releases as well as his collaborations. On the other hand, 'raster' will continue the idea of an artistic platform, which will even be extended with new releases and new artists.

"We think that in the end, this reorganisation is to our mutual benefit as it has become harder and harder in recent years to meet and actually work together, not just because we are based in different cities now, but also because of our busy schedules, which made it all very complex. In this sense, we think it's more efficient for both of us to continue separately."

You can find the two labels' websites here and here. You can also read our Baker's Dozen with Byetone from last year here.

• I have no clue what this means, but I thought I'd post it anyway:

On April 23, 2017, Technicolor's mp3 licensing program for certain mp3 related patents and software of Technicolor and Fraunhofer IIS has been terminated.

We thank all of our licensees for their great support in making mp3 the defacto audio codec in the world, during the past two decades.

The development of mp3 started in the late 80s at Fraunhofer IIS, based on previous development results at the University Erlangen-Nuremberg. Although there are more efficient audio codecs with advanced features available today, mp3 is still very popular amongst consumers. However, most state-of-the-art media services such as streaming or TV and radio broadcasting use modern ISO-MPEG codecs such as the AAC family or in the future MPEG-H. Those can deliver more features and a higher audio quality at much lower bitrates compared to mp3.

For more information about mp3’s successful history, please visit http://www.mp3-history.com/.

https://www.iis.fraunhofer.de/en/ff/amm/prod/audiocodec/audiocodecs/mp3.html

• edited May 2017
    It means that the mp3 format is now patent free.
  • edited May 2017

“And the Webby Award for Lifetime Achievement Goes to….”

“The Internet Archive…is building a home for Universal Access to All Knowledge, open to everyone, everywhere, to use as they like. Open to all societies of the future that care to build on our triumphs and learn from our mistakes.”