The Bird is the Worm mailbox

edited January 2015 in Jazz
So, on this thread, you're gonna get to know what promo CDs/DLs are getting sent to me and what my initial thoughts are.

Sort of an "on the horizon" thing, of albums that may become Jazz Picks and/or get a full write-up on my site.

It may be of interest only to me. I wanted to do something like this on my own site, but there was no way to make it work like I wanted.

I think I'll do it here.

Comments

• Just downloaded a promo CD for a trio (or album) (or both) called Àrid.

It's from the same dude that's part of the nifty Bridges Trio.

Two guitars and a drummer. Mix of mod jazz, folk and rock... which is pretty much the same formula for Bridges Trio. So far, so good.

Definitely check out the last two Bridges Trio albums. Their last one, can't remember what it was called, but it featured a guest spot from saxophonist Chris Cheek. And the one before that, titled "Mons" (or, perhaps, "Mans") is really really good.

The current CD is now covering Neil Young's "Old Man." Interesting.

Checking out the track listing. I see a song title of "River Man." No idea if this is the Nick Drake song or, for that matter, if Nick Drake actually had a song called "River Man."

Peaceful stuff. Totally obscure music reference: It reminds me of what the Acetone might have sounded like had they veered into Jazz territory.

Actually, on this site, I'm not sure there's any such thing as "totally obscure music reference."

Half way through the album, we're going to give this album seven #monies (out of ten).

Okay, wait, I was about to hit submit, but, yes, it is a Nick Drake tune. Ooh, it's actually really good. Gotta say, most jazz artists fall flat on their face with Nick Drake covers... or, at least, the song falls flat. This one, tho, is pretty damn good.

Let's bump it up to 8 #monies (out of ten).

Also, this album may already be out. I was only gonna do upcoming releases, but that's gonna be hard considering how long my music queue is. (That was almost something she said, but not quite).

/monies
  • Dear Dave,

I have a delicate personal problem, and I don't know who else to turn to for advice. Oh wait, it's not that kind of letters column, is it?

Signed,

Noisemaker
  • Actually, it is an advice column thread.

I was just gonna talk about new jazz to pass the time between "clients."

As far as your problem goes, I'd suggest giving up dairy for a time, and go see your doctor about getting a shot for, y'know, that thing. Also, your unhealthy preoccupation with your mail carrier is something we'll have to talk about next session.

/furniture
  • John Prine's registration card from the Old Town School of Folk Music. (See the note that says "Drafted" in 1966)

BMwKcTuCUAARlDm.jpg
  • edited January 2015
    c6bfdfb55c8e8ce8930a7f694ccdc862.jpg
    Worm mailbox.
    Not sure how it is also a bird.
  • “Monies” has recently grown more popular than “moneys,” though most sources prefer “moneys.” Both have a long history.
    Monies
  • I was gonna respond to that tweet, but I couldn't stop laughing. I swear to god, just the sight of the word "monies" drives me to tears. Inexplicable, I know, but that's where we find ourselves.
  • Currently listening to a solo album by saxophonist Marcel-li Bayer entitled "1680." It was recorded in a small 11th Century church in Spain (I think). It's really good so far. If I had to compare it to something, it would be a less-effect-y John Surman "Saltash Bells"... a kind of meditative liveliness. Oooh, I like that word combo. Totes gonna use it when I write this thing up. Which I think I am.

Bayer has appeared on several albums I've written up for various outlets. Recently, he was on that Gonzalo Levin recording and one (or more) of those Underpool recordings... the first one for sure, possibly the second and third, too. I feel like I've also seen him appear in a Jazz Picks column with somebody else, too. I dunno. Oriol Roca or somebody like that.

Anyways, good stuff.
  • Currently listening to a solo album by saxophonist Marcel-li Bayer entitled "1680." It was recorded in a small 11th Century church in Spain (I think). It's really good so far. If I had to compare it to something, it would be a less-effect-y John Surman "Saltash Bells"... a kind of meditative liveliness. Oooh, I like that word combo. Totes gonna use it when I write this thing up. Which I think I am.

Bayer has appeared on several albums I've written up for various outlets. Recently, he was on that Gonzalo Levin recording and one (or more) of those Underpool recordings... the first one for sure, possibly the second and third, too. I f
  • This next one is pretty good, too.

BeBuTa - "Gone"

It's a quintet led by pianist Soren Bebe. Some familiar names in the group. Modern stuff, but not obnoxious about it. I almost gave up after the (boring) first track, but I always give the second and third a chance to grab me. This definitely did. Not all the way through the album yet, but I'm on track five now and my opinion of this album has swung 180 degrees.

It got released late last year. It's on Bandcamp...

[url]https://bebuta.bandcamp.com/releases[/url]
  • Now listening to a new Rob Mazurek, who is pretty much godlike from a music perspective in my eyes. A live trio set. He really gets a good drone going, seems to be going more for the ambient tones of the instrument. He's joined by an electric bassist and organist. It's reminding me of Spacemen 3's more contemplative moments.
  • Rob has been very prolific lately - 5 or 6 albums in the last couple years
  • Currently listening to Phil Haynes & Free Country live. I think it may be out now, actually, as I'm still trying to play catchup from December and to-date January releases. It's an album of Beatles covers. Joining the drummer are guitarist Jim Yanda, cellist Hank Roberts and bassist Drew Gress. Sort of a folk-jazz thing going, heavier on the former. Sort of charming in its way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1YP7WmkZAc

Not sure what I'm gonna do with this one yet. Expected it to irritate me, but instead, well, not sure yet, but definitely not minding the listen thus far.
  • edited January 2015
    Listening to an album that goes against so many of my preferences, it's almost painful. Richie Goods & Nuclear Fusion is this hardcore fusion, mixing in nearly cheesy infusions of rock and R&B and is just so contemporary-ish that it makes me recoil. But he keeps switching things up within songs so that waves of nifty harmonies and incisive melodies and the occasional beautiful vocal passage that I find myself listening all the way through. Also, he covers Tears For Fears "Shout," and I am not kidding, it is one of the best TFF covers I've ever heard. I'm shocked as anyone to find myself putting this in the Maybe stack for a return couple of listens.

Crazy.

Nothing online as far as I can tell, though he does maybe stream some of the album on his site. Didn't check to see if it was full songs or samples. If I do decide to review the album, I'm definitely gonna have to coax him to upload that cover of "Shout" to a Soundcloud or Bandcamp page.

P.S. The album is called "Three Rivers."
  • A group that goes by "PC Energetic" (the PC is Philip Czarnecki) has a new one coming out. It's okay. Not really to my taste, and kind of abrasive in the wrong way. Won't be a Pick. But I do give them credit for taking a crack at the Brian Blade/Jon Cowherd tune "Season of Changes." I'd like to see more artists give their take on that beautiful song.
  • Chris Lightcap is finally putting out a follow-up to his excellent "Deluxe." The newest, "Epicenter," is getting released in March on Clean Feed.

Here's a sample track...

https://soundcloud.com/bk-music-pr/epicenter-chris-lightcaps-bigmouth-1
  • edited January 2015
    51VvD9sD7WL._SS280.jpg

Eddie Henderson - "Collective Portrait"

-Yes, indeed. The newest from the Smoke Sessions series. Much to my surprise and disappointment, only the first two tracks dig into Henderson's embrace of the Miles Davis early-fusion sound. It's two of the album's strongest tracks, though a rendition of Hubbard's "First Light" is pretty amazing, too. Most tracks fall in line with other Smoke Sessions albums... straight-ahead goodness.

Due out in March 2015.
  • As posted the other day elsewhere, I read they are planning 10 releases for the upcoming year - ! Incl recent session with Gary Bartz, Larry Willis, Buster Williams, Al Foster. I now see that Bartz is on the Eddie Henderson session too
  • There's a Steve Turre that's coming out in March, too, titled "Spiritman."
  • edited January 2015
    God, this new Chris Potter album is seriously hokey. There's a few times it threatens to turn into something profoundly sublime, but then it degenerates into ham-fisted, uninspired creativity. I mean, technically, everybody's on top of their respective instruments. The only weak link is, y'know, the music.

I'm hoping additional listens transforms this album, but I'm not overly optimistic at this point.
  • The hell is the matter with Sunnyside anyway? I keep trying to set them up with last.fm and they keep ignoring me. I'd sign up in a heartbeat; they are off to a great start this year. It's like when you know this girl who would be perfect for your friend, but he won't let you fix her up with him because he's too damn shy or something. Don't know a good thing when they trip over it.

I guess it wasn't in this thread that you mentioned the Makaya McCraven album? Anyway, this new International Anthem label is kind of exciting: http://www.intlanthem.com/
  • edited January 2015
    Both the McCraven and Mazurek Int'l Anthem releases are in today's This is Jazz Today (aka Jazz Picks) column...

http://www.birdistheworm.com/this-is-jazz-today-hereward-casey-golden-lisanne-tremblay-more/
  • edited January 2015
    Bad link. Copy/paste works though for some reason.
  • Fixed it. My bad. Works now.
  • edited January 2015
    The new Chris Lightcap (referenced above) is amazing. It actually outshines Deluxe, which, in its own right, was also amazing.

So far in just the first month, I've heard four albums that will be strong contenders for Best Of consideration by year end:

Ben Goldberg - Orphic Machine
    Christ Lightcap - Epicenter
    Rudresh Mahanthappa - Bird Calls
    Fresh Cut Orchestra - From the Vine

I believe all of those albums are being released in February... oh, except maybe the Goldberg, which may have been pushed back to March (maybe).

Every one of those albums has made me bolt up in my seat and, by the end of the album, want to go running down the streets of my hometown shouting to everyone that they need to buy the album immediately.

EDIT: Goldberg & Lightcap are both March.
  • edited January 2015
    Didn't know there was a new Rudresh album coming up, that's exciting. I found a tune available for streaming - A different sound, to say the least!

eta, that link led me to a Soundcloud page with several tracks from Chris Lightcap, along with other new and coming albums: https://soundcloud.com/bk-music-pr
  • The Braithewaite & Katz PR squad is awesome about getting an album track (or two) up for all the albums they rep.

Fully Altered appears to be doing the same now (not sure if this will be an ongoing trend or not), and those guys also rep some amazing stuff (hey, the Goldberg and Fresh Cut Orchestra, coincidentally, by way of example).
  • Ah, was wondering who/what they were. That's a good page to know about.

Looking fwd to Feb 10 - Will certainly be looking for the new Smoke Sessions + Rudresh. That's a much different line-up & sound than when I saw him last.
  • Braithewaite & Katz PR squad

I didn't know anything about B&R, but after clicking to hear the Lightcap track a few days ago, I let it play through the related B&R tracks and enjoyed the hell out of the mix. Those folks pick good music to rep!
  • Jeremy Udden and Nicolas Moreaux's collaborations have finally resulted in a studio album. "The Belleville Project" is out on Sunnyside Records on 3/31/15.

It has many of the same personnel that were on Moreaux's excellent "Fall Somewhere."

The music is quite beautiful. The song "Jeremy" will probably be your favorite.