Emusic Beta

Comments

• Hi Greg - when I spent the £25 bonus I hadn't realised there was no DLM. By the time the penny had dropped that I needed to extract from zip files it took an age to do all at once. When my sub renewed last week I extracted each album individually & I don't think it took significantly longer than the old site using DLM (particularly as the last time I used the old site I had to use an old DLM due to Firefox compatibility issues).

I suppose it's a bit more of a faff having to specify a destination folder for each extracted zip as opposed to the DLM always sending to the same location but it's not too much of an issue for me.

I haven't noticed any issues in the UK with albums being more expensive than buying tracks individually so it's a one-click process for us at least.
  • Yes, I was doing several albums one after another and I see the point that individually it probably doesn't add too much time. Our broadband speed is not too bad, although not superfast.
  • I actually prefer to save the zip folders as my back-up.  At some point there will be a 3 DL limit, but as distributers change, I prefer to have copies of everything.
  • So is everyone who did the beta now stuck on the new site? The old site is still around, seems to be same prices. any word on when the old site goes away for everyone?
  • Those of us who opted to go live on the new site are stuck. I can obviously see the old site but I am unable to log-in. I can't for example contribute to the message board there, although I can read it.  The word from Matt there is 
    we plan on launching very soon so sit tight. 
    However, there is no indication of when that might be. This afternoon, as it is here, I've been searching through the old site for new jazz releases, as I find that easier than on the new site, and I found a couple of recent releases not on the new site. Conversely the opposite also happens. One thing I have found with the new site is that all releases are not available to me to download - presumably US only availability, hence going to the old site! Also there are more sub categories in jazz so I don't have to plough through lots of pages of stuff not relevant to me. Another criticism of the new site is that I cannot find out when boosters run out - not helpful...
  • edited April 2017
     For the last couple of days, all I get when I search beta is "No Results Found."

-I'm still on the old site so I wonder if the site is only for logged in members these days ?
  • Today I was able to create a new account (and login with an old account) in the beta site. I guess the release date is really, really close.
  • Having read a review of Christian Scott's new album Ruler Rebel I searched for it on the Beta site, not there. I've just been to the old site to get an album cover image, and at the top of the front page is the album I was looking for, released in March. I thought it was going to be the other way around! As an aside, images cannot be copied from the Beta site.
  • edited April 2017
    greg said:
     As an aside, images cannot be copied from the Beta site.
    It's possible in Firefox: Rightclick > wiew background image > Rightclick > Copy image or save image as

In Crome and IE its a no go.

Sir BN said:
    For the last couple of days, all I get when I search beta is "No Results Found."
    -I'm still on the old site so I wonder if the site is only for logged in members these days ?

Still nothing whatsoever :/

• I'm using Chrome!
  • The end is nigh
    Dear eMusic Members,
    Not so long ago, I introduced myself to eMusic members – promising to transform eMusic from a beloved discount music outlet into a full-fledged music service designed for passionate music collectors, like you. In other words, I want eMusic to bring the soul back into music ownership and discovery, and be the service our loyal members deserve. Our first step was to learn from the community. We’ve observed how you, our core Members, discover new music and manage your collections. We’ve pored over survey responses, from our current community and from former Members.  

Then, and only then, we set off to rebuild eMusic from scratch.

So here we are, finally set to release a major refresh to eMusic, with the first update days away, and more updates running through the end of May. Judging from the feedback we've gotten from Beta testers, there's a lot to look forward to! In our first rollout, you’ll be enjoying a fresh, new design and user experience, improvements to search, dedicated label pages, and a noticeable upgrade in speed, performance and stability.

We’ve also invested in a more seamless connection to our music label partners, giving us immediate access to new releases. To do this we had to rebuild our entire catalog, label by label, which resulted in lots of great new artists and fresh new music from label partners like Domino, Ninja Tune, Yep Roc, Merge Records and Jagjaguwar. We will continue to add labels, artists, and albums in the coming weeks and months. 

A special thanks to our 500 beta testers, who strapped on their crash helmets and jumped in to help us test our (assumptions and) product over the last couple of months. With their support and feedback, we are confident that the new eMusic is a huge step forward.
    We will keep in touch throughout this launch to make your experience from old to new as seamless as possible.  Look for regular emails, and I invite all of you to check out the new eMusic Blog for regular updates and to join the conversation with other eMusic Members at the eMusicOfficial subreddit.

We hope you are ready for something new and different.

Best,

President, eMusic.com, Inc
  • I haven't received that email, maybe because I am in the pilot already. I'll be glad when it is complete so that the whole catalogue is available.Good to see that Domino is coming back
  • Hmm - Ninja Tune now displaying only 223 albums (UK), down from 632 two weeks ago...is this replicated in the US/elsewhere?
  • edited April 2017
    Brighternow said april 7:
    I just found  Innova with 73 albums (out of the 531) and  with 2013 as the newest
    - and now I can't check if this has changed, because of:
    Help !  . . . Please.

• edited April 2017
    Bad news BN, today it is 68 in the UK! The following, which I am sure you have seen, could be an indicator that some things may not make the move:
    As many of you using beta have already seen, eMusic’s catalog on the new site will be different from that on the old site. The selection is different than when your Save For Later/Wishlist was initially created. Our library has now grown significantly in size and we have added a great number of new, much sought-after releases. However there will be cases where you may find that there are differences in the material offered then, versus the material offered at the time of launch. An album or track you previously added to a list may not be available on the music catalog offered by our current content providers. Because of this, you may notice some content is missing from your list. 
    When the new service launches, if you know the name of the missing release, try typing it into the search bar. If it's still available for purchase on our website but it isn't in your list for some reason, let us know. We'll make sure that it is re-added. Just email support@emusic.com with the title of the album and the artist's name and we'll begin the process of adding it in. 
    If you can't remember what releases may have once been on your list and are now missing, don't worry. We can provide you with a text copy of your list, taken directly from the history of the old eMusic website. All you have to do is email support@emusic.com we'll send you a document containing that information. Please be aware, this request may take up to 7 days to fulfill. 
    Source - Emusic message board from Moderator.

• This is encouraging, isn't it? Seems to suggest that any missing material after the switch might be a correctable oversight.

I'm seeing lots of jazz gaps in the beta. Willing to be patient, as I imagine they're focusing on the alt/indie/hip stuff first
  • That's my hope too Doofy. Several recent jazz releases are on the original site but not the beta site, but there seems to be an increase in indie etc. Like you I am hoping jazz will improve.
  • trunkler said:
     If they break the emusicj downloader I will be disappointed.
    Did it keep working? If I have to make an update for it, I probably will have time this weekend.
  • greg said:
    Bad news BN, today it is 68 in the UK! The following, which I am sure you have seen, could be an indicator that some things may not make the move:
    Thanks, @greg,

When the new service launches, if you know the name of the missing release, try typing it into the search bar. If it's still available for purchase on our website but it isn't in your list for some reason, let us know. We'll make sure that it is re-added. Just email support@emusic.com with the title of the album and the artist's name and we'll begin the process of adding it in.
    - I willl do that.
  • More on the "matching" thing at the eMusic blog. https://blog.emusic.com/2017/04/25/migrating-member-collections-to-the-new-emusic-platform/ While their approach to this problem seems perfectly reasonable, I now see they're talking about matching stuff in the 'Cloud' - Not adding missing content to the site.
  • Eythian - my understanding is that they will not be using a downloaded as such, and so you get a zip file. I may be wrong, so others do please correct me....
  • edited April 2017
    There is no more download manager. You can download a zip archive of the full album or you can download songs one by one (mp3 files). If you only bought a couple of songs from an album you can also download all of them in a zip archive to make things faster.
  • edited April 2017
    greg said:
    Eythian - my understanding is that they will not be using a downloaded as such, and so you get a zip file. I may be wrong, so others do please correct me....
    That seems like a pretty awkward approach. A zip file won't match the file layout I prefer, unless I'm really lucky. Also, emusicj will (I think - it's been years) rewrite the MP3 tags so that they match the real metadata, fixing whatever eMusic puts into the files which historically was a bit messy.

• Yep, eythian, the download manager is no longer part of the process on the new site.  Let me send sincere thanks for your great utility!  It made eMusic practical for many years on my Linux system, and I have to admit I enjoyed watching the progress bars.
  • Now that emusic have announced the end is nigh for their Message Board, could someone who can still access it (I can't any longer as I am part of the Beta group) put out a message publicising Emusers. We might pick up a few more members. I've just looked at the Reddit site - not good in comparison with Emusers. I tried to sign up, but failed, might not try again...

Talking of the end of the Emusic Message Board reminds me of times past, eg, 'debates' between amc and the Wanderer!
  • edited May 2017
    Ugh, those little pissing contests were why I almost completely stopped showing up on that forum and started showing up here.

I recently joined reddit jazz.  It's not so bad.
  • Now I might try that, thanks Jonahpwll. 
  • OK, old man river here ... I need to understand what reddit is - can someone 'splain??
  • I might not be explaining it correctly or comprehensively, but in my short experience, it behaves very much like this or the old AllAboutJazz forum does.  People make posts and you can answer them and make your own comments.  It's more limited in functionality.  You can't post images or embed audio... just link to stuff.  Some people link directly to videos or other sites in the header/title.

There's this thing about up- and down-voting, but I don't fully understand why that matters.  It seems like the more something is up-voted (aka favorited or liked), the higher up on board it remains, while other threads, not voted up (or, conversely, voted down) sink further down the board and out of site.  I guess it's a way of the community choosing which threads to keep on their main page.  In the grand scheme of things, it doesn't seem like a big deal.

When you sign up, take a few minutes to check the default settings.  I didn't do that, and it may be why I got signed up for a shitload of other sub-reddits.  Jazz is one sub-reddit (or maybe it's called a reddit... not sure).  But there's all these other reddit pages (humor! political news! bunny rabbits!) and I got signed up for a ton of them.  Does it matter?  Well, really, no.  Especially not if you just go to reddit for the jazz-reddit (and also the emusic-reddit).  But there's a personal reddit "main page" for each person, and it you kind of wanted to have a few reddit subjects in your feed, then all these extras it signs you up for can clutter it up.  That's the only reason I mention it.  I think I got signed up for them when I breezed through the sign-up process.  And it only took me a couple minutes to un-subscribe myself from all of them later when I discovered what had happened.  And, in truth, it wouldn't have changed my reddit experience had I just left them alone... like I said, I only use reddit for the jazz-reddit and I go straight there, so my personal reddit home page can stay as cluttered as it wants... I never go there.

There's probably other stuff about reddit I don't know about (or just forgot about), but I think those are the essentials.  In summary, reddit is pretty much the same experience for me as any other forum.

Cheers.
  • edited May 2017
    Seems like the beta site is suddenly having some fairly significant content issues. The following labels are present on the site but comprehensively broken - none of the albums will play samples or download.

https://beta.emusic.com/label/540899/Smoke-Sessions

These are just the ones I found. I wonder if there is a common distributor or something? The CS response was a stock "Although we have reported this to our Content Group; who in turn report the defect to the label, we are unable to know when and if a label will deliver a new, fixed copy of this material to us." I hope that since entire labels that apparently want to be there have their material unavailable, they will move to fix it, but it's rather disconcerting to find whole labels broken and no idea of when it might be fixed. Over the weekend I had an unlucky couple of hours in which every album that I tracked down and decided to buy turned out to be broken. Not encouraging.

ETA
    https://beta.emusic.com/label/58835/Black-Saint
    is broken too.