Soundcloud, Bandcamp - New / Upcoming Releases, Announcements etc.

Comments

• One of three new releases coming on Matt Ulery's Woolgathering Records label in October:  (pre-sale discounts if buying direct)

You can read about all three releases (and listen, etc.) here:

https://www.mattulery.com/albums/woolgathering-records/

• edited September 2018
    For fans of Binker & Moses and their unique style of "jazz and beyond", this Sep 28 Moses Boyd release on Bandcamp should be interesting:  (available now on eMusic, too).

It features a "who's who" of the current London underground jazz scene - Moses himself, of course, Nubya Garcia, Theon Cross, Zara McFarlane, etc.

• Excerpts from Peter Garland's "The Landscape Scrolls" Starkland CD, set for release on October 19, 2018. Performed by percussionist John Lane, the piece depicts the 24-hour day cycle in five movements.

• "Today, for any purchase you make on Bandcamp, we will donate 100% of our share of the proceeds to the Voting Rights Project, a program to protect your right to vote and ensure that right is afforded equally to all." https://daily.bandcamp.com/2018/09/25/bandcamp-voting-rights-fundraiser/

• Pillars by Tyshawn Sorey
    releases October 12, 2018
  • edited September 2018
    Doofy said:
    "Today, for any purchase you make on Bandcamp, we will donate 100% of our share of the proceeds to the Voting Rights Project, a program to protect your right to vote and ensure that right is afforded equally to all."

Funny, eMusic is running a similar campaign:

"Today, tomorrow and indefinitely, for any purchase you make on eMusic, we will donate 100% of our share of the proceeds and 100% of the artist's and label's share of the proceeds to our Blockchain project, a program to protect your right to buy tokens from us and ensure that right is afforded equally to all."  

Wow, what a coincidence!  ;-)
  • It seems French musician and photographer Frédéric D. Oberland might be able to play more instruments than I can name. Mentioned in the creation of his latest album, Labyrinth, are electric guitar, Dark Energy Doepfer, harmonic pipe, critter, Guitari Organelle, hurdy gurdy, pantophone, alto saxophone, duduk and flute, just to state a few.

With the release due for the 26th October, we were kindly offered an exclusive stream of 'La Part Du Feu', an achingly sparse piece of meandering electronics.

Read more here: straylandings.co.uk/news/premiere-f…-oberland-nahal

• Using the sounds of handmade paper, electronics, and surf guitar among others, Ted Coffey composes a sometimes fragile, sometimes brutal order that swings from texturalism to song. Written for dance, both fixed media and live computer-mediated performance, Coffey’s music feels spontaneous without sacrificing finely calculated craft.

Release date:8 November 2018
  • Release date: 25 October 2018

Release date: 9 November 2018

Release date: 19 October 2018
  • Fresh on Cuneiform / Bandcamp:

Risk by Far Corner
    releases November 9, 2018
  • Some more interesting jazz releases coming in late October:

Oct 19

"In the spring of 2015 Wayne Horvitz, with longtime Seattle collaborators Eric Eagle and Geoff Harper, spent a most of a week in residence at SnowGhost Studios in Whitefish, Montana. SnowGhost is a state-of-the-art 21st century studio with great acoustic spaces, and a meticulously maintained Steinway B grand piano. Owner Brett Allen, who has a keen interest in experimental music, engineered the sessions. In exchange, at the end of the residency the trio gave an intimate private concert for Allen’s invited guests, a group of audiophile engineers and developers."

Oct 26

"Spurred by a desire to connect with old friends & new collaborators in places where similar spirits & diasporic jazz innovations are thriving, Makaya worked with International Anthem across late 2017 & early 2018 to setup intimate live sessions in New York & Chicago, and pop-up “studio” sessions in London & Los Angeles. Though the contexts and logistics were D.I.Y. (as they almost always are with IARC), the friends & friends-of-friends that Makaya was able to enlist are top tier players across the board."

"Jawn [jän]: noun. A slang terminology from Philadelphia. All-purpose term for a person, place or thing
    If there’s one thing the acclaimed bassist knows, it’s that when it comes to grit there’s no better resource to draw from than his own hometown, Philadelphia. So, McBride turned to one of the city’s most beloved colloquialisms to christen his latest project, Christian McBride’s New Jawn."

Igbo Alakorin The Singers Grove Vol I  II

"Pi Recordings and El Tivoli Music are proud to announce the release of Igbo Alakorin (The Singer’s Grove) Vol. I & II. Out October 26th, this new work finds David Virelles traveling home to Santiago to document his research and upbringing with a thoroughly authentic Cuban album."

"Legendary jazz bass player Charlie Haden and pianist Brad Mehldau joined forces back in November 2007 to perform together at the Christuskirche church in Mannheim, resulting in the live recording Long Ago and Far Away. After 11 years, the recording will finally be released globally on October 26 via Impulse! Records."

"For trumpeter Ingrid Jensen and saxophonist/clarinettist Steve Treseler, paying tribute to the late Kenny Wheeler was a calling. The Canadian-born, British-based composer/trumpeter has almost incalculably influenced generations of musicians, working alongside a who’s who of artists including Dave Holland, Jack DeJohnette, Bill Frisell, John Taylor and Norma Winstone – and a famously unassuming persona belied his unequivocal prominence from the mid-1970s onwards as a free-spirited jazz pioneer.

Invisible Sounds: For Kenny Wheeler reinterprets works from his prolific catalog honed from “a list of around thirty tunes we wanted to do,” recalls Treseler. “The news of Kenny’s death had a big effect on me and I reached out to Ingrid about putting together a tribute concert, and that conversation evolved into making a record."

• soulcoal said:
    Some more interesting jazz releases coming in late October:

FYI - the Wayne Horvitz release is already available on eMusic via the songlines label, so that Oct 19 release date may be for vinyl/CD or just a typo.  He has a second release coming out this Friday (Oct 12) according to an email blast I just received.

• Jim O’Rourke uses ‘Quasar Melodics’ as his source material, transforming fizzing grains of sound into an oceanic swirl of noise.

Taken from 'Tape Reworks Vol. 1', an EP featuring remixes of tracks from Langham Research Centre's 'Tape Works Vol. 1'. Released on 2 Nov 2018 on nonclassical.

• edited October 2018
    httpsf4bcbitscomimga0576434851_16jpg
    - Releases October 26, 2018 on Bedroom Community

• Release date: 23 November 2018

Release date: 30 November 2018
  • Taken from the album Temporal (released 25th January 2019):
    music.juliakent.com/album/temporal
  • This might fit better on the "eMusic bargains" forum, except that it's not on eMusic...

If you have enjoyed any of the eclectic "classical meets jazz meets world" music work of Brooklyn Raga Massive, you might want to check out this new release on Bandcamp, which compiles 15+ hours of live performances from 2011-2017.   You can buy the whole thing for $20, but can also pick individual tracks (many of which are album length on their own) for $1 each.  (I picked up 5 tracks totaling 3.5 hours for $5 to get a sense for the live sound and range of music from the various performers.  Not sure I'm ready for 15 straight hours of raga yet, but I have definitely enjoyed Brooklyn Raga Massive, who also perform here and I believe help organize the annual event).

• edited November 2018
    Thanks for the Ragas Live link. I love that series. It can take a lot of your day.
    One year, I remember screen recording the whole 24 hours (automatically, during sleep,
    for some of it) and saving it and the audio for a wonderful feast of music.
  • It is almost insanely generous!

• New from Myra Melford on Firehouse 12
  • edited November 2018
    Lubomyr Melnyk shares a new piece Barcarolle, taken from his forthcoming new album Fallen Trees out on December 7th, coinciding with his 70th birthday . . .

Multi-instrumentalist, singer and composer Peter Broderick will release a new extended player titled 'Two Balloons' on November 9th with Erased Tapes.
  • from KR049 HANNO LEICHTMANN - Nouvelle Aventure (180gr LP / DL) out november 30th 2018

- My goodness !

• Hold up, there are 2 new Myra Melford albums
  • edited November 2018
    Good catch, @doofy!   I've liked what I've heard so far of "The Other Side of Air" on Bandcamp. 

One thing I've never understood that this particular album pricing on Bandcamp illustrates is why artists or labels price things higher on Bandcamp than on Amazon or iTunes.   The revenue split is more favorable on Bandcamp, so wouldn't you want to encourage more sales there by at least being equal to other retail pricing?    And then this particular album prices individual tracks at $1.50 each, again higher than anywhere else and disproportionately expensive as compared to album pricing.    So what will most consumers likely do?  Not buy anything and listen for "free" on Spotify or Apple Music.  I was going to pick up a few of the tracks, but at $1.50 each?  I can live with streaming in this instance.  If I find myself listening enough, I might come back and buy the album somewhere.   But they lost a potential "impulse buy" due to odd pricing strategy.  (Of course, eMusic had the "impulse buy" idea down to an art with the discounts, but they decided to run that business into the ground).

• The Art Ensemble of Chicago and Associated Ensembles

Just poking around at ECM and found this bad boy. 21 discs, out Friday. https://www.ecmrecords.com/catalogue/1536576225 
  • @soulcoal - I agree! To me it would be logical to charge a bit more (say 20%) than you'd get from Amazon/iTunes, taking into account Bandcamp costs too. It would b good if someone could explain the logistics of Bandcamp costs. I pay more there for a new artist than I would for an established artist elsewhere. It does not encourage exploring new artists. If anything it leads to Spotify.