Soundcloud, Bandcamp - New / Upcoming Releases, Announcements etc.

Comments

• edited November 2018
    @greg - Bandcamp generally keeps 15% of digital sales, unless you sell a fair amount, in which case they take only 10%.   Details are here:   https://bandcamp.com/pricing

Amazon, iTunes, etc. typically pay 70% and keep 30% - e.g. they keep twice as much as Bandcamp.   I think part of the issue is that Amazon takes albums through distributors and aggregators, and sets the prices automatically based on some wholesale guidelines, etc.   Thus, most digital albums in US are ~ $9.49 (for newer releases and with some exceptions, of course), but the artist didn't really set the price.   Then they get to Bandcamp and think "Wow, I can set my own price!", and then proceed to set a higher price, thinking that means they get more money, not that they lose money by chasing the buyer elsewhere.   But that's just a hunch on my part as to the psychology of the process.

• From the album With Voices available January 18, 2019 from Western Vinyl.
    With Voices is the newest recording by Dutch composer Rutger Zuydervelt under the moniker Machinefabriek. True to its title, the album’s eight pieces exhibit Zuydervelt’s use of cassette recorders, tone generators, radios, synths, and other hifi curio to construct bewildering aural architecture around vocal contributions from Peter Broderick, Marissa Nadler, Richard Youngs, Chantal Acda, Terence Hannum (of Locrian) and others. These human voices are featured as musical instruments rather than mere vehicles of lyrical content, resulting in a sub-linguistic mosaic of primordially stirring moods. . . .

• FYI- that new "Mingus in Detroit" live recording from 1973 is, much to my shock, available on eMusic now.  (And a bargain, at that...   I had already purchased on Bandcamp but now see it being promoted on eMusic, too).

• From the upcoming Album "Igitur Carbon Copies"
    Release Date 16 November 2018
  • soulcoal said:
    FYI- that new "Mingus in Detroit" live recording from 1973 is, much to my shock, available on eMusic now.  (And a bargain, at that...   I had already purchased on Bandcamp but now see it being promoted on eMusic, too).

The You Tube clip of the first track sounded a bit murky to me, despite the mention of crystal clear sound. What's your opinion? I mean "B+" sound off-air Mingus albums are common enough (much to Sue Mingus' annoyance!) I was hoping for more from this one.
  • @djh - There is a good article on Bandcamp that discusses the sound issues and the remastering efforts.  There is definitely some distortion, particularly of the piano, and the entire recording was taken from the soundboard for an impromptu live radio broadcast.   So on purely audio terms, it's not exceptional (to my ears).  The youtube sound is often further compressed, so may not be completely representative.  But it's decent sound overall, and a good performance from a rarely used group for Mingus.   At eMusic price (at least US) with booster discount, it's well worth picking up if you are a Mingus fan.   (Even the Bandcamp digital price is good...  but it's clearly intended more as a collector piece and a historical document of previously unknown material).
  • soulcoal said:
    @djh - There is a good article on Bandcamp that discusses the sound issues and the remastering efforts.  There is definitely some distortion, particularly of the piano, and the entire recording was taken from the soundboard for an impromptu live radio broadcast.   So on purely audio terms, it's not exceptional (to my ears).  The youtube sound is often further compressed, so may not be completely representative.  But it's decent sound overall, and a good performance from a rarely used group for Mingus.   At eMusic price (at least US) with booster discount, it's well worth picking up if you are a Mingus fan.   (Even the Bandcamp digital price is good...  but it's clearly intended more as a collector piece and a historical document of previously unknown material).

Thanks for the extra info. My 3 month's off Emu closes in about 10 days I plan on looking one last time using a months credits and saying goodbye. So I could get it there. OTOH I'll probably pick the set up from Bandcamp so some money goes where it should.
  • Just to note, the Mingus set sounds fine to my untrained ears. A little far away perhaps, but come on - it was a public radio remote in a Detroit storefront in the early 70s. Piano  a little plinky, but that might be the instrument. The sound is alive, everything onstage is present, and there is some good whooping and hollering from the audience.

Of course that's on mp3. I saw the vinyl set at Dusty Groove the other day - Wonder what that sounds like!

Incredible to read in the NPR story that Orchestra Hall was "abandoned" in those days. That neighborhood was more or less a wreck until recently...now very much coming back I'm happy to say. I'll be up there at Xmas, will drive by and see what's at 46 Selden these days!

• Release date: 15 February 2019
    In 2014, Klangwart travelled to the Colombian capital in order to record the material for “Bogotá” with protagonists of the local music scene: Damián Ponce (drums), César Quevedo (bass) and Eblis Álvarez (violoncello), members of The Meridian Brothers, and singers Juanita and Valentina Áñez Rothmann a.k.a. Las Áñez. The result is Klangwart’s trademark sound permeated by a Latin American pulse and pitch.

• Daniel Pioro - Dust pt. I (Valgeir Sigurðsson)
    Taken from Daniel's forthcoming album 'Dust' - out on February 8th 2019 on Bedroom Community

• Release date: 14 December 2018
    "1929 - Das Jahr Babylon" marks Thomas Fehlmann's third full length release of 2018 and presents what appears to be a creative peak in his career that spans beyond his solo career to his early days in Palais Schaumburg, collaborating with Moritz von Oswald as 3MB to his long time work with The Orb. Having left The Orb in late 2017 has set free unforeseen energies in Fehlmann's studio.

• Will be made available as DL and a limited edition white label LP with printed insert in January 2019.

"In one of the most striking debuts of recent years, Jo David Meyer Lysne’s ‘Henger i Luften’ (literally, ‘Hang in the Air’), magically combines the conversational fluency of contemporary chamber music with the extended sound-making techniques and alertness to the moment associated with experimental improvisation. . . ."

• Upcoming w/ Mary Halvorson. You can hear the 20 min opening track now
  • edited December 2018

releases January 28, 2019

Exclusive full stream and free download of Hauch by Kryshe. The title track from Kryshe's forthcoming album for Serein, out January 25th 2019

• pre-order : December 27th, 2018 / january 03rd, 2019
    here : eileanrec.bandcamp.com/
  • httpsi1sndcdncomartworks-000461314278-iewkgk-t500x500jpg
    Release date: 7 March 2019

httpsi1sndcdncomartworks-000461337699-rjr8qi-t500x500jpg
    Release date: 7 March 2019

• Taken from 'The Phoenix' available via Alrealon Musique:
    alrealonmusique.bandcamp.com/album/the-…ix-alrn082
    Release date: 1 March 2019
  • edited January 2019
    RareNoiseRecords announcement and 8 track playlist
    httpsi1sndcdncomartworks-000467613576-ivls1m-t500x500jpg

January 2019:
    JAMIE SAFT, STEVE SWALLOW, BOBBY PREVITE - YOU DON'T KNOW THE LIFE

February 2019:
    DAVE LIEBMAN, ADAM RUDOLPH, HAMID DRAKE - CHI
    MARILYN MAZUR'S SHAMANIA

March 2019:
    CHAT NOIR - HYPERURANION (w Nils Petter Molvaer)
    SEAN NOONAN PAVEES DANCE - Tan Man's Hat (Malcolm Mooney / Jamaladeen Tacuma / Alexis Marcelo / Ava Mendoza / Sean Noonan)

April 2019:
    RED KITE (Torstein Lofthus / Trond Frønes / Bernt (André?) Moen / Even Helte Hermansen)
    RSD: surprise

May 2019:
    MERZBOW, GUSTAFSSON, PANDI - New CUTS
    JAMIE SAFT QUARTET (WITH D.LIEBMAN, B.JONES, HAMID DRAKE)

September 2019:
    MERZBOW, HAINO, PANDI
    NEW SONAR W. DAVID TORN

October 2019
    LED BIB with Sharon Fortnam - IT'S MORNING
    NEW JÜ

November
    Lorenzo Feliciati, Michele Rabbia - Antikithera (w. Cuong Vu, Rita Marcotulli, Andy Sheppard, Alessandro Gwis)

• edited January 2019
    from KR060: SABA ALIZADEH - Scattered Memories (LP / DL) out on feb 15th 2019
  • edited January 2019
    httpsi1sndcdncomartworks-000458971419-4aarta-t500x500jpg

Random Gods: Gazulo à Estronca da Santosa from Antologia de Música Atípica Portuguesa Vol2
    Release date: 22 February 2019
    (Vol 1)
  • edited January 2019

"This is a special one for us! Over 10 years ago, we (Jakob & Jonas), went to the US on a small tour. We were lucky enough to play a show with Isotope 217 in Chicago, and somehow managed to get some of the guys to come record with us a few days later. That album had a very limited release in 2011 - the long wait between recording and release was actually what made us start El Paraiso - so in some ways this is epr000. We're thrilled to add this album to the fold. Jonas Munk gave it a remaster, Jakob did a brand new artwork and honestly we're stunned at how good this album is - we're really proud of it. Hope you enjoy it."

- out on El Paraiso Records on February 15th

• First track taken from Andreas Söderström & Rickard Jäverling - Adelsö. Album will be out 8th of February.
  • httpsf4bcbitscomimga3597611681_14jpg
    Movements / The Ascent
    - is the first single to the upcoming new Deaf Center album "Low Distance".
  • New Deaf Center ?!!? Yaaay! Thanks for posting!
  • ^^ Welcome.

I found some info on Sonic Pieces:
    Erik K Skodvin and Otto A Totland have been a big part of Sonic Pieces over the years, and we are very happy to see them re-unite as Deaf Center for a new full-length album. The record is called “Low Distance” and will be released in March. More on this soon. Meanwhile, a first track of the album entitled “Movements / The Ascent” is already available digitally on all platforms :
    BandcampBoomkatSpotifyItunes
  • Benjamin Finger / James Plotkin / Mia Zabelka - Pleasure-Voltage (LP / DL) out on february 15th

• edited January 2019
    Love Among the Immortals. A song about heaven, immortality and werewolves. Collaboration with Werner Durand.