"Every Noise at Once" Genre Map

http://everynoise.com/engenremap.html
This is an ongoing attempt at an algorithmically-generated, readability-adjusted scatter-plot of the musical genre-space, based on data tracked and analyzed for 1554 genres by Spotify. The calibration is fuzzy, but in general down is more organic, up is more mechanical and electric; left is denser and more atmospheric, right is spikier and bouncier.

Click anything to hear an example of what it sounds like.

Have at it! My initial impressions are (a) Indeed that's some pretty fuzzy calibration (b) Genre approaches meaninglessness

Comments

• edited March 2018
    That is kind of fun. The inclusion of "comedy" did, I guess, make me laugh. And I learned that someone thinks there is a metal genre called "vegan straight edge", which also made me laugh. (ETA, and made me more educated.)
  • Well, I'm still working my way through my iTunes library editing each album. I only added  missing artwork at first and at F I started culling singles and making sure each album had the appropriate genre and what not. I've never been the best at identifying genres so I've been using Discogs as the base point. Wow, I'm even more confused now, but Reggae albums are now actually reggae albums. Mind you, they are divided into 17 categories. Hmmmm?
    Back to the Cs.
  • edited March 2018
    I miss the very popular "0ther" tag
     :)
    - Seems to encompass everything from Sexy Bossa Nova to Charlemagne Palestine . . .
  • edited March 2018
    Yes, I see I still have 35 albums in iTunes' Other listings that I have to get to.
    Oh yes, and there's 215 left in the Unknown listing.
  • That is kind of fun. The inclusion of "comedy" did, I guess, make me laugh. And I learned that someone thinks there is a metal genre called "vegan straight edge", which also made me laugh. (ETA, and made me more educated.)
    See also:

• That's mighty fine; I'm onto it as soon as remember where I put my black nail varnish!