Rolling "How Was the Show" Thread

Comments

• Just back from a good jazz show at the Basement in Sydney. A quintet led by James Morrison, who soloed ably on trumpet, trombone, and piano as well as providing stand up comedy. I was a bit too jet-lagged to stay to the very end, but it was a very enjoyable set. The bassist in particular was very into his thing and had some great interplay with the guitarist.
  • Sunday night I saw the Chick Corea Elektric Band with Bela Fleck and the Flecktones at Wolf Trap in Northern Virginia. Beautiful night for an outdoor show and both bands were incredible. A friend of mine told me afterwards that I've used up my allotment of notes for the rest of the year, which is unfortunate because I'm still going to see King Crimson in October.

I'm a (hack) bass player, so I always focus there first - both Victor Wooten and John Patitucci are as good as it gets. I had seen the Flecktones a few years back, but the CCEB really blew me away. Easily one of the tightest bands I've ever seen. Both bands really enjoyed themselves, and they came out together at the end to jam for 15 minutes or so. Just jaw-dropping musicians all over that stage.

• Portland Taiko drum ensemble at the Salem, Oregon fairgrounds amphitheater.  The audience was somewhat distracted at this twilight performance.

• A few days late with this - just got home from Australia last night. Last Thursday I was at a show at Venue 505 in Sydney for this show and saw these guys. They are called Coast and said they are still finishing an album. They are led by drummer Paul Derricott (obscured behind the speaker from my vantage point), who has recorded with a few other lineups. They were really excellent, fantastic show - a mix of muscular jazz styles with some noodling, some rocking out, lots of time signature changes, and a good dose of melody. Great drumming, good sax too. I'll be keeping an eye out for the album, if it is ever purchasable from MIchigan.
  • edited October 2017
    The Anthem is a brand new music venue in DC from the owners of the 9:30 Club. It has a capacity of 6,000 but can be reconfigured for smaller events to about half that size. They opened on Thursday with a Foo Fighters show that sold out in about 10 seconds - I tried but was unable to get tickets. But as a member of the 9:30 Club's rewards program, I was invited to a soft opening last Sunday night. The show was announced as a night of local music, but they never said in advance who was playing. Turned out to be three local bands: Danger Painters, with Bob Boilen from NPR, who also played in the first band to open the 9:30 Club in its current location (Tiny Desk Unit); Bat Fangs, a 2/3 female youngish power trio that kicked ass; and Messthetic, an instrumental power trio featuring the rhythm section from Fugazi, Brendan Canty and Joe Lally. They did another soft opening Tuesday night with Andrew WK, but I had to pick one night before I knew who was playing and chose Sunday.

The venue is awesome. Huge floor area, which will be general admission for most shows but had a section of folding chairs on Sunday. It slopes gently upwards away from the stage so those towards the back can still see. Two levels of wraparound balconies with four "box" areas on each side - the boxes each have two rows of permanent seats bolted to the floor that will be sold at a premium as "super excellent" seats. Each box also has two terraced standing room sections right behind the seats which will be open to GA ticket holders if you get there early enough. I thought that was a nice touch. The end of the lower balcony facing the stage also has 5-6 rows of reserved seats, and the upper balcony above it has terraced levels of standing room. I moved all over the arena Sunday night and sight lines were great from every vantage point. It's remarkably well-designed. The sound in the balconies ranged from good to great, though it did get boomy and bass-heavy the closer you got to the side of the stage. The best sound in the arena is on the floor, and it's a remarkable sound system. Seven bars, ample rest rooms on every level, industrial design elements that make it look like the place has been there for years. It's REALLY nice.

So I went to the show Sunday night, and had a blast. Monday afternoon I got an Evite from the 9:30 Club folks to a private show Wednesday night with the Foo Fighters that will be broadcast live on iHeart Radio. Yes please! It was weird because I'd heard NOTHING about that show, and found virtually nothing on the net except a page on the iHeart Radio web site offering some lucky fan a chance to attend in person. So I rounded up a buddy since my wife wasn't interested, and headed back on Wednesday night.

It was unbelievable. I had never seen the Foo Fighters, and I like them fine but didn't consider myself a huge fan. I have their first CD and one other. I love Dave Grohl's drumming, and he has turned himself into a great front man. I really enjoyed the Sonic Highways series on HBO. But OMG that show was insane. The sound on the floor was absolutely pummeling. I was 20 feet from the stage and I felt it in my chest. Just huge and fat but well-defined. I always wear earplugs but they were a must that night. The band was amped and just incredibly tight. I can't possibly do it justice but look for videos on YouTube, there were phones out all over the place. Easily one of the best concert experiences of my life.

And if you have a chance to see a show at the Anthem, do it. I have tickets for Courtney Barnett & Kurt Vile in early November, and St. Vincent later that month.
  • Heading out to see The Feelies in Cambridge, MA tonight!

• Heading in town for Nada Surf - should be good!

• Don’t get to a lot of shows these days, but this week was a full one. On Thursday night we were visiting my daughter and found out during dinnner that TAO: The Martial Art of Drumming were Performing an hour later nearby in Indianapolis, and we were able to get tickets. Here is the promo video for the show we saw:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=M0RcVOQU4vs
    It was a pretty spectacular show. But it was topped last night by having third row seats for Nils Frahm at Thalia Hall in Chicago. This was the first time I had seen him live, and it was just magical. The material from the new album is fantastic live. And I never realized he was so witty - he is hilarious between songs. The main thing though was just fantastic music played with enormous commitment. 

• Well, we saw Sons of Kemet in an outdoor show downtown last night. Sax, two drummers, tuba, not stopping for anything. Like a carnival road march of the gods.

Opener was Melissa Laveaux, whom I was happy to discover

• Holy hell! It’s gonna be a good one again this year!
    Bought festival and airline tickets and booked hotel
    months ago knowing it would be a monster thing.

Big Ears Festival 2019

• rostasi said:
    Holy hell! 
    Heilige scheisse !
    With this number of great artists, it must be a tough one to choose. 
    - Anyways, it's  7,075.83 km. away, sooooo . . . 

"We" want a full report with photos and everything !
  • @rostasi Any inklings as to when final schedule might be announced? Only 542 mi for me !
  • edited September 2018
    After the festival, they send you a survey
    "too many days? too few days? just right?"
    I always say "too few." ...and they somewhat
    waste the Thursdays and Sundays by not filling 
    them up too. Hey, if someone can't beat the streets
    and clubs for 12+ hours a day for only 4 days,
    then they don't need to be there, but it'd be nice if
    they'd spread it out. I wanna see about 80% of that line-up.

Along with all of the great music - most of which goes off without a hitch - 
    you'll run into some of these musicians pretty regularly on the street, 
    in cafes and bars in that area - it's a pretty compact square mile area where things happen. 
    I've had the chance to have breakfast with Carla Bley & Steve Swallow, dinner with Philip Jeck
    chatted with Anoushka Shankar at our hotel, a.o. You really have a great time there.

My wife got the latest notice from Big Ears
    and she was going down the list and just
    giggling with delight: "Wow! Just look at these first three!"
    (Art Ensemble ..., SpiritualizedMeredith Monk).
  • edited September 2018
    Doofy said:
    @rostasi Any inklings as to when final schedule might be announced? Only 542 mi for me !
    There are more performers to be announced, but I can't imagine that there's room for that many more.
    They've been eeking out announcements with about 8 performers at a time
    and they said to watch for this latest batch of 30+ concerts, so, that's what we got today.
    I mean, if you are undecided with all that you see now, then I don't know what to say.
    It's 850 miles from me.
  • I went 2 and 3 years ago, lovely compact spot for a none driver like me. Unfortunately I've not been able to hook up with my US mates who don't have to commit for a while yet. Plenty to enjoy but shows will overlap badly and these days there is a piss poor booking system which involves paying yet more to queue jump and other rubbish. Still wish I could be there but it involves making £3k or so appear out of nothing. :p
  • The multi-level prices are pretty necessary considering the number of people that show up. Especially after seeing, last year, what could happen. I will say that the second and top tiers aren't that much different unless you want to actually sit in the first few rows.
  • I don't mean announced acts, I mean dates/times - ! Interested to see how it would all fit together. Good info on the price tiers 
  • edited September 2018
    Oh! I don't know. Two years ago, they posted the timeline and venues close to the beginning of the year. Last year, they screwed up. It wasn't posted online until right on top of the festival. They were still waiting for the newspaper version to be printed on the Thursday of the festival, but they had (and still have) an app for your phone/iPad. We'll see what happens in 2019, but there should be something to guide you.

If you decide to go, I can probably give you some tips on things like parking, hotels, and good restaurants, so let me know.

also: top tier and second tier get in the doors first - together,
    but top tier get to sit in a partitioned front area of about 5 or 6 rows.
    The events in clubs and large "warehouse" areas don't matter except
    "The Mill & Mine" has an upper balcony in the back where you can
    sit at tables and watch - and is reserved for top tier. The sound and site
    in some of those places is so good, that sitting right in the middle about
    8 or 10 rows back and watching the Bang on a Can Allstars in the
    Tennessee Theatre, for instance, was still great.
    Surrounded by instruments above and all around you.
  • I haven't contributed to this thread in a while, though I've seen a bunch of cool shows this year. Sunday night I saw Jason Bonham's Led Zeppelin Evening (f/k/a JB's LZ Experience). Two hours of Jason and band wailing away on Zep classics and album cuts. I was gonna say rarities, but everything they ever did has been released and re-released at this point, so even the B-sides are well-known. 

Anyway, the show was great. Jason is a monster drummer, very much like his dad in terms of style. The guitarist was a skinny Japanese guy who from a distance was a dead ringer for Jimmy Page (long curly hair, skinny, similar facial features), and nailed the guitar sound. He had the goldtop Les Paul, the red Gibson doubleneck, and played acoustic on Going to California and Hey Hey What Can I Do. The bass player had a sunburst Jazz bass and killer JPJ tone, and even broke out a mandolin on the acoustic songs. The singer looked nothing like Robert Plant but got the subtleties of his vocal style. There was a keyboard player who doubled on guitar. And the music was interspersed with home video footage of Bonzo and Jason and other family members, with Jason's narration. 

Really entertaining and enjoyable show. They opened with Rock n Roll and closed with Whole Lotta Love, and played a little bit of everything in between. It's as close as I'm ever going to get to seeing the original band, and it was plenty close enough for me. Highly recommended for any Zep fans out there.
  • Big Ears timeline will be announced this coming Tuesday.
    It’ll be a time to get frustrated.
  • I moved this thread from "Diversions" to "Live Music" - if any thread belongs in "Live Music" it would seem to be this one, and I can never find it when I want it.
  • edited September 2019
    Bruce Cockburn was kind enough to play a show four streets from my house last night. I think this was maybe the fifth time I've seen him live (in three countries), and I think it was the best. I believe he is 75 or 76 now, and he walks with a stoop, but he is still in magnificent form live. Spellbinding guitar playing (he played several instrumental pieces from his new album, Crowing Ignites) and a great selection of songs from several decades and a wide range of his albums. Fascinating how songs like "Call it Democracy" or "When a Tree Falls" only seem more relevant decades after release, and how new juxtapositions across the catalog can give old songs a new context - listening to "All the Diamonds" right after "When a Tree Falls" threw a spotlight on the common tree motif and was quite moving. He stayed for a frank and friendly chat with the audience after playing two sets. Fantastic concert all round.
  • rostasi said:
    As I feared its mainly acts I've seen previously (times x) or acts that aren't encouraging me to take a long haul flight. However there's more to come, so I'll still be monitoring updates.
  • edited October 2019
    Saw ELEW last Thursday in Melbourne (Australia). He is a great talent and it was an outstanding concert - see link below (music starts 3 mins 35 secs in to the video).

https://www.facebook.com/birdsbasement/videos/night-1-elew-live-at-birds-basement-eris-lewis-was-an-up-and-coming-jazz-pianist/395706217761929/
  • Not so much of a "How was..." but... "I'm going... ":  I got a pair of ticket to see Kraftwerk 7/2 in Dallas (and TMBG 10/23 (also in Dallas)).
  • Thanks for the heads-up on the Kraftwerk gig. If you’ve never seen them, it’ll be an unforgettable experience if you go. BombFactory isn’t an ideal place, but that’s because I’ve been spoiled by good seats instead of standing like the good old days of club going. Looking at their schedule, I was hoping for them to return to the Disney in LA - THAT would’ve been worth the trip out there!
  • Watched Thumbscrew live tonight - celebrating Mary Halvorson’s 40th birthday today.
    She’s my newest incredible (for the past few years) ...and Pharoah Sanders and Azar Lawrence the other night were on fire as well. I could get used to this: sitting back and watching on a 65” screen while in my PJs - donating money later if it’s a freebie.
  • edited October 2020
    She's only 40 - ! Didn't realize she was quite so young...Just a baby in jazz years.
    There are so many attractive streaming shows, but I get hung up by the commitment to be in front of my TV at a particular time. Wish the stream could remain available for a week or some number of days, or other option like that
  • Isn’t there a commitment to be at a live venue?