RIP

Comments

• stacks_image_2443_1.png
    Peter 'Sleazy' Christopherson
    1955 - 2010

(Throbbing Gristle)
    "Throbbing Gristle were an English avant-garde music and visual arts group that evolved from the performance art group COUM Transmissions. The band consisted of Genesis P-Orridge (aka Neil Megson - bass guitar, violin, vocals, vibraphone), Cosey Fanni Tutti (guitars, cornet, vocals), Peter "Sleazy" Christopherson (tapes, found sounds, horns, vibraphone, synthesizer), and Chris Carter (synthesizers, tapes, electronics)."

- This is just way too early, may he rest in peace.

Throbbing Gristle- United
  • - More:
    "Peter Christopherson, affectionately known as Sleazy, died peacefully in his sleep on the
    24th of November at his home in Bangkok, Thailand.

The music and art world has lost a great talent whose unique approach ignored the
    conventions of the day and often challenged the status quo.

Sleazy’s playful and inspiring creativity saw him pushing boundaries as a musician, video director and designer throughout his life. He had recently returned to Thailand from Europe, where he had played a short but spectacular series of live shows as a member of Throbbing Gristle and in the newly formed trio X-TG with Cosey Fanni Tutti and Chris Carter.

Sleazy's visual art career included work as a member of the influential British design agency Hipgnosis, creating iconic record sleeve artwork in the 1970s for Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd and, later, Factory Records. He took the first promo photographs of the Sex Pistols, created a highly controversial window display for Malcolm McLaren and Vivienne Westwood's clothing shop, SEX, and went on to design the logo of the hugely popular fashion company, BOY. In 1976 Sleazy met Cosey Fanni Tutti, Chris Carter and Genesis P-Orridge and together they formed electronic music provocateurs Throbbing Gristle and Industrial Records, creating one of the first independent record labels of the era and laying the foundation for a new genre of music. The band was infamously described in the Daily Mail by Tory MP Nicholas Fairbairn as "the wreckers of civilisation".

TG ceased operations in 1981, after which Sleazy formed Psychic TV with Genesis P-Orridge and they produced two albums. The second, Dreams Less Sweet included his future life partner Jhonn Balance as a member, with whom he went on to form Coil and to release an extensive body of work up until Jhonn's passing in 2004. Subsequently, Sleazy left the UK to live in Bangkok, Thailand and to continue his artistic and musical vision in the guise of The Threshold HouseBoys Choir and Soisong.

Following their original break-up, Throbbing Gristle's legacy steadily grew within the music and art world, leading to their reformation in 2004 and a series of sold-out performances, including in Tate Modern's Turbine Hall.

At the time of his death, Sleazy was in the midst of assembling what was to be Throbbing Gristle's next project: a cover version of Nico's Desertshore album.

Sleazy was a kind and beautiful soul. No words can express how much he will be missed."

Throbbing Gristle / X-TG
    Cosey Fanni Tutti
    Chris Carter
  • Is that why you were playing all the TG? I had not heard about Sleazy passing - that's a shame.
  • James Moody, that's sad, he was one of the last of my old favorites. I have listened to his Sinatra tribute album many times over the years. Both Hank Jones and Moody in the same year.
  • 600x600.jpg

I love that picture. :)
  • edited December 2010
    - Another true pioneer has passed away way too soon. May he rest in peace.

This one is for you Captain. . .
    Abba Zaba Zoom !

Song before song before song blues
    Babbette baboon (repeat) abba zabba zoom
    To shatter the noon Babbette baboon (repeat)
    Comin` over pretty soon Babbette baboon
    Run run catch her soon doctor dawn sunshine on Babbette baboon
    Mother say son she say son you can`t lose with the stuff you use
    Abba Zabba zoom Babbette baboon (repeat both)
    Run run morning soon Indian dream tiger moon
    Yellow bird fly high go battle sky to shatter the moon
    Babbette baboon gonna catch her soon Babbette baboon
    Song before song before song blues
    Babbette baboon abba zabba zoom (repeat both)
    To shatter the noon abba zaba zoom
    Gonna zaba her soon Babbette baboon abba zabba zoom (repeat)
    Gonna catch her soon (repeat etc.)

- Edit: Where There's a Woman
  • RIP Captain,
    thanks for stretching it til it broke then poking it til it spoke;
    I love you, you big dummy
  • edited December 2010
    Dropout Boogie

You wanna do what?
    You wanna do what?
    I told you what
    I told you what
    You wanna do what?
    You wanna do what?
    I told you what
    I told you what
    Go to school, go to school
    Go to school, go to school
    Just cake, just cake
    Just cake, just cake
    Dropout, dropout
    Dropout, dropout
    Can't get a job
    Can't get a job
    Don't know what it
    Don't know what it
    What it's all about
    What it's all about
    You said that you love her
    So take her to mother
    You love her adapt her
    You love her adapt her
    Adapt her, adapt her
    Adapt her, adapt her
    Then what about after that?

Support her, support her
    She said she's a boarder
    Get a job, get a job
    Get a job, get a job
    You said that you love her
    So take her to mother
    You love her adapt her
    You love her adapt her
    Adapt her, adapt her
    Adapt her, adapt her
  • RIP Captain Beefheart.
  • edited January 2011
    RIP Gerry Rafferty. Famous in the UK for probably for many the best single of the 1970s with Baker Street, but remembered for his work with Stealers Wheel too. See http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-12115604e
  • Mick Karn. A true innovator on the fretless bass. Best known for his work with Japan, but did session work with Kate Bush, Gary Numan, Peter Murphy, and many others. Died much too young at 52 after a long battle with cancer. RIP.
  • Mick Karn.
    Wow, this one hits hard. As a fretless bass player, Karn was an obvious influence of mine. He was one of the best musicians at translating eastern idioms to a western instrument. Moreover, he (and Peter Hook) made the bass a melodic instrument.
  • Sad to hear about Mick Karn passing. Japan were my favorite band as a teenager (the Ghosts video on Top of the Pops made a huge impression). I re-bought Tin Drum just recently, and think it holds up well. I remember once staring at a single cover of theirs and trying to figure out why the photo looked weird and not being able to put my finger on it and eventually realizing Mick Karn had shaved his eyebrows. Some of his solo work kind of lost me a bit, but I always loved his very distinctive bass sounds.
  • RIP Charles Fambrough, excellent bass player...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Fambrough
  • That's terrible - well, these all are, but how old was Trish Keenan? I doubt she was even 40.
  • Charlie Louvin of the Louvin Brothers.
  • RIP John Barry. Composer of film music, including for a number of James Bond films and former jazz musician. Winner of 5 Oscars for his film music. See http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-12321610
  • edited February 2011
  • RIP Gary Moore, guitarist once of Thin Lizzy. Perhaps best known for Parisienne Walkway, but a superb blues guitarist. See http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-12377862
  • Very sorry to hear about Gary Moore. I just picked up a couple of his early blues albums from the great Guvera giveaway in September. Truly great guitarist.
  • Very sad about Gary Moore. He had tremendous passion and great tone on the guitar. Albert King may now get his wish that Stevie Ray and Gary would have gotten to play together because he thought they would have really been something else. May they all rest in peace.
  • Yes I agree about Gary Moore. I listened again to a couple of his albums yesterday after hearing the sad news. In many ways he was quite underated compared to some of his British contempories like Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page and so on. Van Morrison always reckons that being from Northern Ireland is a disadvantage and he'd be much better rated if he was English or from USA. Probably the same could apply to Gary Moore.
  • RIP George Shearing - Jazz pianist born in England over ninety years ago but lived for many years in New York. Probably one of the first jazz musicians that I ever heard play. In the dim and distant past, when we first had a record player it was one of the first two LPs that my father bought. I can still remember the cover! See http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2011/feb/14/george-shearing-dies-aged-91
  • edited March 2011
    Today's UK Mirror reports Gary Moore had passed away (see Feb. 7) of a suspected heart attack. For anyone who would like a good sampler of why he is sorely missed I see that Amazon has the CD version of the 2 disc (one studio comp/one live comp) Best of the Blues up for $12.71. It is a great album with a nice selection from the later (post 1990 or so) blues phase of his career.
  • Former Alice in Chains bass player Mike Starr has been found dead at a house in Salt Lake City. He was 44.

See http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-12686701 for more details