RIP

Comments

• Amy Winehouse - sad indeed, so much talent, but not totally surprising. She led the way for a new group of British female vocalists including Duffy and Adele. Any body notice her age - 27? The same age as Jimi Hendrix, Jim Morrison,, Kurt Cobain, Janis Joplin and Brian Jones. Spooky. On television news here just now they have been suggesting that it could even be suicide - if so, really, really sad.
  • On television news here just now they have been suggesting that it could even be suicide - if so, really, really sad.
    Not to worry - I'm pretty sure Alan Vega and Martin Rev are both still alive. (Vega is over 70, though...)

Still, it's a bummer about Amy Winehouse... I never really got into her recordings all that much, but she did have quite a singing voice.
  • Dan Peek rides off out to Ventura Highway on a horse with no name.
  • I used to really like America years back when I was younger. Sorry to hear this news.
  • edited July 2011
    Bill Morrissey

This one really saddens me. He wrote such wonderful lyrics.

I have a few of his CDs. Saw him in concert at Phoenix Hill Tavern in Louisville in the 90s. I couldn't believe there were so few people there - maybe ten people. He was fantastic. His sense of humor came through when he sometimes had to compete with the Doors cover band playing downstairs. He finally said, "Sounds like they're going to break on through to the other side," he said.

No Depression article from 2001
  • Standing Eight is one of my favorite sad bastard albums. Sorry to hear he died.
  • I have fond memories of seeing Bill Morrissey with my folks as a kid. :-(
  • edited August 2011
    For the few of us who follow folk, particularly Quebecois traditional music: Philippe Bruneau.
  • I just saw this sad news on the main site...
    Jazz singer Jeanne Carroll suffered a massive heart attack on Sunday, Austus 7, 2011, while she was performing on stage with her daughter Karen Carroll at the 11th Annual Blues Oan Daa Stoazze in Hamme, Belgium.

At approx. 9,30 pm GMT+1, while into the fourth song “All Of Me," Jeanne collapsed. Fortunately, the members of the blues society, that hosted the festival were policemen and firemen and within seven seconds emergency personal began resuscitation. During the next 45 minutes Jeanne fought for her life. The emergency personnel never gave up on her and Jeanne never gave up on her daughter who kept calling her name.

Once she was stable enough to be transported she was moved to the nearest hospital. Then after 90 minutes of examination, she was moved 20 kilometers to OLV Ziekenhuis in Aalst Belgums, the finest cardiac care hospital in Europe. Jeanne continued to fight for another two days and at 8,30 pm GMT+1 on Tuesday August 9, 2011 Albertha Jeanne Carroll passed away.

She will be missed by her three children Kenny, Karen and Michael Carroll; her five grandchildren and 16 great grandchildren and all who loved her around the world.
  • edited August 2011
    Jani Lane, Heavy-Metal Lead Singer, Dies at 47

The singer for Warrant. Never my kind of music, but I didn't know until now that "Mr. Lane was born John Kennedy Oswald on Feb. 1, 1964 in Akron, Ohio," my hometown. What a name to have been saddled with, though, and only 2 months after the assassination. No wonder he changed it.
  • Jerry Lieber, half of Lieber & Stoller. Hound Dog, Stand By Me, Yakety Yak, etc.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/therecord/2011/08/22/139859886/songwriter-jerry-leiber-has-died?ps=mh_frimg1
  • Just read about Jerry Leiber on BBC website. He wrote some of my early favourite songs, particularly by the Drifters, bringing back memories of my early interest in pop music pre-Beatles.
  • Heard this comment on the radio last night re Leiber:

Ray Charles said, "They were those bad white boys who wrote the blackest songs this side of Mississippi. I loved what they did."
  • Best $4.40 memorial - Fine Gals, Fast Women and Wailin' Daddies - The First of Leiber and Stoller Volume 2. Great songs. Only question, Where's Volume 1? Haven't found it.
  • edited August 2011
    David "Honey Boy" Edwards. One of the last of the first generation bluesmen. Saw him probably 15 or 20 years ago, honestly had no idea he was still around. RIP.
  • Just came in from work to hear the sad news about Bert Jansch see http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2011/oct/05/bert-jansch for a detailed obituary/career retrospective.I saw him play several times in the late 60s/early 70s and again perhaps 10-12 years ago. A superb guitarist, much underated in my view
  • - Oh No !

This is indeed sad news.

The first concert I ever went to was Bert Jansch solo back arround 66 or 67. This is printed in my memory as a very special night.
    I remember I borroughed a friend's portable reel to reel Uher taperecorder and made probably the worst bootleg ever made.

May he rest in peace.
  • edited October 2011
    RIP Steve Jobs. So sad. Way too young. I wonder what else he would have accomplished.

Apple -- Remembering Steve Jobs
  • Bert Jansch yesterday, Steve Jobs this morning. Although not a musician Steve Jobs has had a major influence upon the industry through his company's products and software. Like it or not itunes has been the major player in realigning the music industry and much of this has been down to Steve Jobs' visionary thinking. RIP
  • Steve Jobs RIP.

Posted from my iPhone.
  • edited October 2011
    No iPhone here, but I still use my iPod, although iTunes isn't on my regular use list. Didn't go with upgrades. No iPhone. No Mac or iPad, but might be my next computer purchase. Even though I haven't been a big Apple customer, there was no way to ignore what he was accomplishing and the impact he had.
  • I still remember my first Walkman, which was one of the first generation portable cassette players. I used to sneak it into study hall in my high school library, and surreptitiously listen to music when I was supposed to be studying. I had a 90-minute cassette with Ziggy Stardust on one side and Who's Next on the other, and I was amazed that I could carry around two whole albums and listen, with decent fidelity, on something that could be hidden in my backpack or a jacket pocket.

The thought of carrying hundreds of albums on something the size of a deck of cards, with much better sound, and being able to shuffle songs or create playlists on the fly, would have blown my teenage mind. I still find it amazing, and for years the majority of my music listening has been done on the iPod. Thanks Steve, and RIP.
  • I own very little music purchased from iTunes and have a Droid phone. That said:

1) I listen to music at work through my iPod;
    2) At home I listen on my Mac through iTunes; and
    3) When my wife is using the Mac and I need to do something online I grab her iPad.

I'd say Apple has had more of an affect on my life than any other corporation (Microsoft possibly excepted).

RIP Mr. Jobs. You lived a hell of a life.

Craig
  • Yes - I have an ipod and ipad and my wife has an iphone. My first ever computer at home, back around 93, was an Apple Performa. That was probably the most expensive computer I've ever bought (but did little by today's standards) and it was certainly my favourite. The only reason I'm not typing this on a Mac was that my univertsity changed to PC and our next home computer really needed to be compatible but we only changed computer to have internet capability. My latest 'toy' is the ipad - a brilliant device. Other than when playing actual CDs all my music is played through itunes. I suspect even Microsoft does not have that kind of reach on our lives..
  • I agree, Jobs had a huge impact on my technology life. My first computer was an Apple IIe that we later enhanced with 128k. I also remember its green screen that we replaced with a color monitor which was a big deal. I think my Father is on his 7th Apple computer. I'm on my third desktop, second laptop, third iPod.
  • Roger Williams

I may have one Roger Williams LP -- yes, old vinyl. He was definitely on the soundtrack of my late teens and early adulthood.