Suggestion Box

Comments

• edited February 2010
    Shooting the breeze a bit on Mommio's thread about the possible closing of Ear-X-Tacy (thread = "Another one bites the dust?") got me thinking about how even though this forum is based on our activity on a mp3 music site, we all have had posts that talk about our favorite music stores and many of us continue to buy from there when we can. In that spirit, I have the following request...

I would like to add a new sub-forum called "Brick & Mortar". In it, we can each start a thread that's titled with a name of a music store we enjoy. I will certainly create a threads called "Reckless Records", "Dusty Groove", and "Groovin' High" (one each for my favorite Chicago stores) and Jerry's Record Exchange and Wax Trax (Denver) will each get a thread. Mommio's thread (with her permission) could be renamed "Ear-X-Tacy". And so on. It'll allow us to give some recognition to the stores that fed and inspired our music listening experiences at a time when many of these stores are hurting, and it'll also make others familiar with stores they might not otherwise know exist. I'm sure I'm not the only one who looks up what music stores are out there when I visit a new town. And, lastly, it'll be fun just to tell stories about time spent at these places.

Any thoughts?
  • I like the idea jonahpwll. I'm always ready to sing the praises of The Electric Fetus!

Craig
  • I like this idea too, especially living in a city that doesn't have one. Lafayette, Louisiana, the center of Cajun and Zycdeco music with a decent local music scene, but no local record store!
  • When a mod gets a chance, could one of you please move my thread for Dosh's "Wishes & "Wolves" out of the Ambient category and into the Electronica category? It's really where it should go.

Here's a link to the thread...

http://www.emusers.net/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=441

Thanks in advance.
  • I would like to add a new sub-forum called "Brick & Mortar". In it, we can each start a thread that's titled with a name of a music store we enjoy. I will certainly create a threads called "Reckless Records", "Dusty Groove", and "Groovin' High" (one each for my favorite Chicago stores) and Jerry's Record Exchange and Wax Trax (Denver) will each get a thread. Mommio's thread (with her permission) could be renamed "Ear-X-Tacy". And so on. It'll allow us to give some recognition to the stores that fed and inspired our music listening experiences at a time when many of these stores are hurting, and it'll also make others familiar with stores they might not otherwise know exist. I'm sure I'm not the only one who looks up what music stores are out there when I visit a new town. And, lastly, it'll be fun just to tell stories about time spent at these places.

I'm bumping the above request, only because I'm concerned that maybe it got accidentally looked over since the request that follows it was put to bed.
    If, in fact, it hasn't been forgotten but nobody has had the time to do it, then my apologies. This was one of those 'do I say something and risk sounding pushy?/say nothing and it remains forgotten?' things.
    Thanks again for the site and to those who help maintain it.
    Cheers.
  • Any chance we can get Vanilla updated to v2 and maybe install some of the cool add-ons for WYSIWYG editing? Maybe even add in signatures and stuff? Just thinking it might be nice to spruce up the joint a little.
  • I don't have the time to do this sort of work. I am busy taking pictures of household items that I may still be paying credit card interest on, for listing on eBay.
    Go bark up some other tree.

Har!

All kidding aside (although it is not a joke about me listing stuff on eBay), I think xtrev is the only guy who can do that. Also he has never asked for money to support this site, so I am shutting the hell up.

Especially after the joke about renaming this site...one of my first thoughts was, how much would THAT cost?
  • I'd be willing to volunteer some time to the site for some of the more banal administrative functions, and if I knew anything at all about website construction I'd offer those services, too.
    Quite frankly, I'm not sure just how much admin stuff there is to do here. I moderate over at the AAJ forum (new member apps, spam fighting, site testing, etc), and would gladly do the same here if that kind of help was needed. As far as site programming, I'd give the time if someone was able to guide me with some instruction.

I, also, appreciate this site.
  • I also wanted to toss out there that I'm willing to help out with any upgrade work, etc. I'm not really experienced with Vanilla, but I do plenty of work with WordPress and am used to maintaining a few websites via SSH if necessary.
  • edited November 2010
    I'll happily pass over the site update reins - I've been avoiding it for well over a year!
    We're hosted on Eythian's server, so if we can sort out who wants to try and not break things, I'll clear the access etc with him.

As for regular admin duties, there really isn't a lot to do...approve new members...spank those who misbehave...the usual stuff :-)

And Katrina - domain names are cheap! Decent hosting should be a bit more expensive, but thanks to Eythian ours is free. So it really wouldn't cost much at all. Not that I want to actually change the name anyway.
    The hardest thing about renaming this place would be updating the references in the assorted bits of code.
  • - There's really no need for a new name, IMO.

I kind of liked wherethehellsmystreetcred.org, though.
  • I do hope the bells and whistles don't clutter up the place. I have loved the simplicity of this site, being able to quickly read posts without wading through all kinds of sigs, including sigs that overwhelm the post to the extent that it's hard to tell post from sig. If sigs are added, please also provide the option to turn them off.
  • Well, my offer still stands.

I'll do any admin that needs to be doin'.
    I'll be happy to do site programming/upgrade work if someone doesn't mind giving me some guidance and direction.
  • I'm willing to do programming too. Of course I have absolutely no ability to do it, so only ask me to help if your goal is to permanently crash the site. I have a feeling I'd be awesome at that.

I'm totally up for dishing out spankings though.

Craig
  • I'll throw my hat in the ring for systems administration as well.

The upgrade path for this version of Vanilla (1.x) to the latest appears to be an iterative one (each release needs to be installed to step up to the next). Jumping to Vanilla 2 appears to be as easy as a fresh install and an import using a migration tool.

Thoughts?
  • My offer still stands. Although I'll be taking some time over the next few days to sort out crap on my own sites, first.
  • Whoever does the upgrade, make sure to back up the database first. I'd back up the Vanilla installation too.
  • Whoever does the upgrade, make sure to back up the database first. I'd back up the Vanilla installation too.
    Words to swoon by...
  • edited January 2011
    deleted post.
  • deleted post.

That seems like more than a suggestion.
  • Can we pare down the Sticky list? I'd suggest that "New Host!", "Makunouchi Bento", "Hello", and "Mixtapes" be unstuck (or more, I'm not a fan of Sticky unless it solves an ongoing problem). "Bento" will pop up as interest demands, and the others have limited functionality and usage that weighs against taking up space, imo.
  • Agreed Kargatron
  • Ha, I was just about to make a suggestion about that. I was actually thinking maybe there should be a read-only sticky (not sure if this is possible) in which someone could make links to some of the key threads, so that if they disappear off the main page they can be easily found.

I guess it wouldn't have to be read-only. But the key is that all of the appropriate links should be added into the first post over time. I'll create one and you guys can tell me what you think.
  • Would there be some way of placing artist and genre profiles on a different page?
  • Dr. Mutex wrote this about the Bento thread:
    "I stuck it temporarily because there's considerable interest here. I'm planning to replace it with an "emusers' guides" that would link to these artist or label-centric threads."
  • edited February 2011
    Have to agree about the number of Stickys - on my laptop they are crowding out everything but the top new posting.
  • On a handheld screen it's stickys all the way down!
  • The thing is, you can't sink the stickies. If you could sink the stickies so they wouldn't stack up, I'd leave the stickies stuck, but since they can't be sunk they should be unstuck to shrink the sticky stack. Once the stack is shrunk, there'll be fewer stickies to stare at, so the sticky situation won't suck so much. As for which stickies should stay stuck, I'd rather stay on the sidelines about that stuff, because I seriously stink at stating which stuff should be sticky.
  • edited February 2011
    I like thom's beginner's guide. I don't know enough about Vanilla to move some of the discussion posts out of that thread so it could be one of just a few stickies. I hear you, Germanprof. I recently got a Blackberry and if I'd visited emusers with it, I probably would have unstickied half those threads immediately. For now I'll unsticky the threads in kargatron's list, emusers' standard lecture, and Bandcamp Goodies and sticky thom's beginner's guide. Maybe xtrev can move the "about the thread" posts elsewhere.

Just to be clear, I've got no more say than anyone here. Our benevolent dictator does, though.
  • @ScissorMan - I'll be reading that to my daughter before bedtime from now on.

@Mutex - Thanks for the vote of confidence. Now I'm suddenly nervous that I actually have to pay attention and do what I said.

@xtrev - I actually have the time these days to help out if you need a hand with backup and upgrade tasks. I think we could really benefit from an upgrade, specifically so that the WYSIWYG plugin could be installed.