Bang on a Can All Stars

edited March 2010 in Ambient
So I had four nps left, and decided to use them on something different than most of my downloads. That something different ended up being Bang on a Can All Stars - Brian Eno: Music for Airports. Listened to it last night and I think I'm in love.

Accordingly, I want to get some more of their (or the non All Star) stuff. Amie has three albums of the non All Star version of Bang on a Can (Vol. 1, Vol. 2, and Vol. 3), but I can't decide which to start with. Any recommendations? Or does it even matter?

Craig

Comments

• Doesn't matter. Pick one, will be fine.
  • edited March 2010
    No, it does'nt matter that much. - But since you have to start somewhere, I'd say start with vol. 2.

The live albums are much more experimental/neoclassic/avantgarde than the Airport album, though.
    - But AFAIC all three are must haves.

A bit more in the same vein as Airports is their version of Terry Riley's In C

Btw: You can DL the linernotes from the live albums at the New World website
  • That In C is fabulous.
  • Thank you gentlefolk. I'd noticed the In C and it is very much on my list for future download.

I grabbed Vol. 2.

Craig
  • edited March 2010
    - You're welcome...

You can't go wrong with this one:
    The Passing Measures by David Lang
    (One of the core members of BOAC)

And if you're up to exploring further:
    Evan Ziporyn, Julia Wolfe and Michael Gordon

Edit:
    Oh yes !
    There's an excellent Michael Gordon album at Amie´s:
    Big Noise from Nicaragua
  • 68 pointed Ziporyn out to me awhile back, but I haven't gotten around to really listening to him. I need to do that.

I'm thoroughly enjoying Vol. 2 by the way. "pond within the drifting dusk" is particularly good. The album as a whole doesn't punch me in the gut quite like Airports did, but it has been a long time since anything has wowed me on first listen as much as that did.

Craig
  • Big Noise from Nicaragua is a good one. I like the gamelan influence.