Those were the days . . .

Comments

• edited December 2010
  • edited December 2010
    Simple+Minds-Real+To+Real+Cacophony+1979+MP3.jpg

Simple Minds - Time Passes Slowly - (1979)
    Simple Minds - Cacophony

- A milestone in music history.
  • edited December 2010
    chaparall.jpg

The Chaparral of Electric Sound-Electric Sound For Dancing; 1970

they didn't have the chops of Steamhammer or Tull, but they had better ideas.
  • edited January 2011
    Joy Division
    51OdrcvHNgL.jpg
    Twenty Four Hours - The Eternal - Decades[/url]

- No words can describe this lovely album.

Here are the young men, the weight on their shoulders,
    Here are the young men, well where have they been?
    We knocked on the doors of Hell's darker chamber,
    Pushed to the limit, we dragged ourselves in,
    Watched from the wings as the scenes were replaying,
    We saw ourselves now as we never had seen.
    Portrayal of the trauma and degeneration,
    The sorrows we suffered and never were free.

Where have they been?
    Where have they been?
    Where have they been?
    Where have they been?

Weary inside, now our heart's lost forever,
    Can't replace the fear, or the thrill of the chase,
    Each ritual showed up the door for our wanderings,
    Open then shut, then slammed in our face.

Where have they been?
    Where have they been?
    Where have they been?
    Where have they been?
  • edited February 2011
    BalletM2.jpg BalletM1.jpg
    Ballet M
  • edited February 2011
    5150UYTkC8L._SS400_.jpg

After Bathing at Baxter's - Jefferson Airplane

Wild Tyme

"I see changes, changes--all around me are changes. It's a wild tyme!"
  • edited March 2011
    Now here's a relative obscurity...
    41PbQf64VML._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Hedge and Donna. IMO she had one of the most beautiful voices ever.
    _________
    Added by Dr. Mutex:
    Several Hedge and Donna tracks on YouTube
  • edited January 2013
    51M3-Pw%2Bh9L._SS400_.jpg
    In Praise Of Learning - RER Megacorp 1975

Beautiful as the Moon-Terrible as an Army With Banners
    Living in the Heart of the Beast part 1 - Living in the Heart of the Beast part 2

HenryCow.jpg
    Henry Cow performing in Fresnes, France, 16 November 1975.
    Left to right: Tim Hodgkinson, Lindsay Cooper, Dagmar Krause, John Greaves, Chris Cutler and Fred Frith
  • One of my favorites at one time. I wonder if it would still sound good today or not.
    51rDSRzPTgL._SS400_.jpg
  • edited March 2011
    I know nothing about Henry Cow, brighternow, but that cover is fab. Fab, I say. Looks like a summer camp art project and socks from granny rolled into one. Not that I had either, but it looks like my imagination's eye of both those things, but warped, not quite right, and that's why I like it.
  • Abba_Arrival_C.jpg

Dare I admit to once enjoying Abba here?
  • Dare I admit to once enjoying Abba here?
    - You're not alone !
    - Abba was/is in the champion league of pop music.
  • edited March 2011
    5102KRulxVL._SS500_.jpg
    Hosanna - Prayer
    "Possibly the weirdest entry in the list of Catholic-Mass-as-pop albums. This is a brainchild of the french composer Pierre Henry, the XXth century classical/avantgarde artist, known for his experimental electronic music and musique concrete works. He enlisted a british blues-rock band Spooky Tooth as studio musicians. The end product sounds kinda like Hawkwind with Stockhausen instead of Dik Mik manning the electronics. The resulting LP was marketed as a Spooky Tooth album."
    - More info
  • edited December 2011
    - An obscure masterpiece from 1980:
    217y9UPWVbL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Youtube:
    The World - Destiny (Dalek I Love You)

- Sounds just as brilliant as it did way back when. . .
  • edited May 2011
    fls.jpg

Just happened across this again. Had this as a single in 1984. The video is of its time, but the song is still nice. This band never released an album, just a few singles.

Here's the video on Veoh
  • edited December 2011
    5014810ae7a09d61d68ba110.L.jpg[

" - In the Land of Grey and Pink is an album by progressive rock band Caravan, released in 1971. According to Allmusic, "it is considered by many to be the pinnacle release from Caravan." It has remained in the catalogue ever since its original release in 1971.

Along with Soft Machine, Caravan were a leading exponent of what became known as "the Canterbury sound" - a concoction of styles including jazz, classical and traditional English influences."

- Wiki.

Nine Feet Underground (1/3) @ Youtube
  • edited December 2011
    61wDoMfZH%2BL._SS500_.jpg
    The Incredible String Band - The 5000 Spirits Or The Layers Of The Onion (1967)

The Incredible String Band
    " (sometimes abbreviated as ISB) were a psychedelic folk band formed in Scotland in 1966.[1] The band built a considerable following, especially within British counterculture, before splitting up in 1974. The group's members are musical pioneers in psych folk and, by integrating a wide variety of traditional music forms and instruments, in the development of world music. The group reformed in 1999 and continued to perform until 2006.
    - From Wiki Biography

The Mad Hatter's Song - First Girl I Loved - The Hedgehog's Song
  • edited December 2011
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTTpwfiRx68XswOnJ-K1KYG2ceIIAgWPFsoJv0xFPfoXn4Qd_0e

To have even heard of these guys I think you had to be from my neck of the woods more or less. Hearing this song again after so long sort of makes me laugh and cringe at the same time, but I still love it anyway.
    The Angel Song

edit: At least this one isn't quite so sentimental: Eye Of The Storm
  • 51ZUFqPgrqL._SS500_.jpg

- Alice Cooper's first album from 1969 from when AC was a band, not a person. From the psychedellic years with resemblance to Pink Floyds Syd Barret era.
    - I bet the members of XTC was influenced by this album for their "Dukes of Stratosphere" project.

- Some tracks from Youtube:
    No Longer Umpire - Reflected - Fields of Regret - Changing Arranging
  • edited January 2012
    51gFMHF%2BYlL._SS400_.jpg

- Dave Greenslade - Hammond Organ, Vibraphone, Piano, Back-Vocals.
    - Dick Heckstall-Smith - Saxophone, Flute. (the guy playing 2 saxes at the same time)
    - Jon Hiseman - Drums.
    - James Litherland - Guitar, Lead-Vocals.
    - Tony Reeves - Bass.

- And the Youtube thing: Valentyne Suite - Full Version - Totally Awesome !
  • Thanks for the Colosseum reminder BN. I always thought that they were much underated at the time. They were great musicians - they could be described as a music fan's band, they didn't appeal so much to the genral pop audience fo the time.
  • edited February 2012
    You are welcome Greg . . .

- Speaking about Kenneth Knudsen with Palle Mikkelborg . . .
    Back in the days when jazz/rock fusion was hot with bands like Weather Report, Return to Forever and Jean-Luc Ponty's electric bands, Palle Mikkelborg was heading a great band called Entrance or Palle Mikkelborg's Entrance:

mzi.gmnhrmbb.170x170-75.jpg
    Entrance - ST (1977)
    - Bo Stief (Bass)
    - Jon Christensen (Drums)
    - Kasper Winding (Drums, Percussion, Kalimba, Congas and Melodica)
    - Kenneth Knudsen (Electric Piano, Piano, Synthesizer (Minimoog, Polymoog)
    - Jesper Nehammer (Flute, Saxophone)
    - Palle Mikkelborg (Trumpet, Flugelhorn, Electric Piano, Percussion, Synthesizer (String synthesizer)

- And the youtube Thing:
    543 - Entrance to entrance
  • This is one of my all time favourites, the freak-folk/avantgarde/comedy artists and The Residents collaborators:

Arabic_Yodelling.jpg

- Some Youtube tracks:
    Nelda Danced at Daybreak - Night - Like Some Kous-Kous Western
  • edited January 2014
    Here's one of the finest Danish post psychedelia bands and the only album they made, almost forgotten about and so far hasn't been rereleased.

R-3083785-1314952515.jpeg

Their ultimate showstopper:
    "Cykelløbet"

- Oh yes, those WERE the days . . .
  • edited February 2012
    51RMA2VECEL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    The Red Krayola - Parable of Arable Land - (1967)

- Youtube:
    Parable of arable land - Transparent Radiation - Fighter Plane - Former Reflections Of Enduring Doubt

"Red Krayola (formerly The Red Crayola) was a psychedelic, avant-garde rock band from Houston, Texas, formed by art students at the University of St. Thomas (Texas) in 1966. The band was led by singer/guitarist and visual artist Mayo Thompson, along with drummer Frederick Barthelme (brother of novelist Donald Barthelme) and Steve Cunningham. Their work prefigured punk and the no wave scene in 1980s New York City.

They made noise rock, psychedelia and occasionally folk/country songs and instrumentals in a DIY fashion, an approach that presaged the lo-fi aesthetic of many 1990s US indie rock groups. Reviewing the band has produced conflicted results - in an extremely positive review from Pitchfork Media, critic Alex Lindhardt wrote "It's a band that has no idea how to play its instruments. In fact, they don't even know what instruments are, or if the guitarist has the ability to remain conscious long enough to play whatever it is a 'note' might be." [1] He added, "This is a band that was paid ten dollars to stop a performance in Berkeley. If Berkeley's not having it, you know you're in for rough sledding."

Thompson has continued using the name, in its legally required permutation The Red Krayola, for his musical projects since."

- Wikipedia - Emusic - Mayo Thompson @ Emusic
  • edited February 2012
    "COLOSSEUM : Valentyne Suite..."
    This video is no longer available because the YouTube account associated with this video has been terminated due to multiple third-party notifications of copyright infringement from claimants including:
    ECM Records
    Sorry about that.
    But a search seems to turn up lots more options. I've never heard of Colosseum before that I recall, but this is very good stuff.
  • edited February 2012
    Scheisse ! - I just don't get why they are doing this, one would think that the videos are good promotion for their products.

Anyways, The Colosseum band leader, Jon Hiseman is married to composer & saxophonist Barbara Thompson and plays with her band Barbara Thompson's Paraphernalia, also very good stuff.

Check out : Close to the Edge and/or Are You Real