eMusic Survey for 5 free downloads

edited August 2010 in eMusic New Releases
We want your feedback
We want to hear what you think about our Access + Rewards® program! Fill out our A+R survey (click "tell us what you think" on the upper right of the A+R page) between August 3 and 15, 2010. Then login to your eMusic account between August 16 at noon EST and August 30, 2010, and we’ll credit your eMusic account with 5 FREE downloads! Valid for 30 days.

Link to A + R page.

You have to check something for each question even if you couldn't care less about one of the lists.

Craig

Comments

• Just got mine, shweet! Wasn't sure I was going to, as I never did get the survey e-mail.
  • Got mine today. Hoping that I get the 5 for rating albums, too.
  • >Hoping that I get the 5 for rating albums, too.

I thought that was Ten for rating Ten. I like how they put an expiration date on the free credits. Mine rarely last the day. Oddly enough, my paycheck has the same problem.
  • Well, let's see...the credits for rating albums are supposed to appear between 8/20 and 8/30. The Facebook credits are to appear between 8/23 and 8/30. There are still a few days to get in on both of these deals, btw.

My survey 5 bumped me up over 12, allowing me to get this, which I learned about in a New Yorker review last week:

300x300.jpg
  • My survey 5 only bumped me to 10, and since I want to get Beach House when it gets here next week anyway, I'm sitting on them for the moment. It's a bit hard to do.

Craig
  • i need to take the 15 downloads from the survey and rating and download some Chet Atkins for my wife; she has fallen in love
    with "Jitterbug Waltz". I see that emusic has 2 volumes of Atkins songs from this era.

any suggestions for similar tunes from these releases that play well together?
  • Craig, have you already rated 10 albums? If not, get it done post haste for 5 more credits.
  • I already have, and that's for 10 credits!

I was already a fan of eMusic on Facebook, so I'll get that 5 too.

Craig
  • edited August 2010
    any suggestions for similar tunes from these releases that play well together?
    Do you know that 7dig has some 4 disc set of Atkins for $10? I can't remember the name of it, but some guy over at the other place posted a list of cheap albums over at 7dig.

Personally, I've been looking at this Merle Travis album, which has a lot of awesome country electric as well. What does your wife like about Atkins' Jitterbug? The Country guitar or the jazz composition?

ETA: you might also consider some Doc Watson. Among the recent Rounder drop is Black Mountain Rag, a compilation from his three Flying Fish records.
  • edited August 2010
    What does your wife like about Atkins' Jitterbug? The Country guitar or the jazz composition?

Though she is a fan of jazz from the Waller era and has never turned away from a
    well plucked guitar, I believe her reaction to “Jitterbug Waltz” was strictly emotional;
    I’m pretty sure she just liked the way it light heartedly persuaded
    the corners of her mouth into a smile then worked its way down to her feet, convincing them that something resembling a shuffle was in order.

I got into Merle Travis years ago when I was tracing back through Lenny Breau's influences (for some reason I chose to skip right over Chet Atkins).
    I have some Travis and Watson stashed away on LP.
  • Hey where's my 5 downloads.

Swindlee
  • 10 album-rating credits are in. :)

FB credits due 08/23.
  • Such a fun week!

Craig
  • Added to my usual allotment, I am sitting on 56!
  • Excellent. I just grabbed a 2 disc set from Soundway and was contemplating how to use my last 22 considering the new Esperanza Spalding is 11. Now I've got over 30 again and can play some more! Especially figuring another 5 next week.

So weird thinking back to the days of 90/month plus C crack when I'd be sitting on over 300 at a time.
  • I just received by ten for rating ten, on top of the 15 for just being awesome (on two diff accounts). So that is 40 today alone, and that equals three new Soundways comps for me.
  • edited August 2010
    Wow, Chet Atkins at 7dig - High Rockin' Swing, that's 116 tracks for $9.99 (it's 48 credits on eMu). It's the same price for the whole thing as they charge for the Pt.1&2 or Pt.3&4 albums - inexplicable, but I'd hit that, and will, unless I find when I get home that I've got most of these songs from other collections. I've picked up the 4 Early Years sets that are on eMu back when I had a pocketful of card crack, but I believe they are shy one of the five, Disc A actually, so thanks BT, 7dig has them all ($7.99, so eMu is a better deal at 12 credits for the 4 they've got), because not having the fifth was sad. I would also highly recommend Jimmy Bryant & Speedy West, an amazing duo on guitar and pedal steel respectively, that did some really sick/phenomenal work in a sort of country swing vein. I have a box set at home I believe was called Flying Fingers that's 3 CD's; try Stratosphere Boogie as the song to best introduce them, or the CD Stratosphere Boogie as a 1 disc introduction.
    Edit - OK, here's the math on Chet Atkins - The 116 track High Rockin' Swing, $9.99 at 7dig, comprises all the tracks found on The Early Years series Discs A, B, C, and the first 20 tracks of Disc D, plus about 3 or 4 alternate takes. So if you were some guitar crazed loon who had to have all these Chet Atkins tracks you'd come out ahead getting High Rockin' Swing at about what two discs of the Early Years at 12 credits each would run you at eMu, all of Disc C and the 20 tracks from D would be gravy. Then you'd have to get Disc E, 12 credits eMu, and either get the last 11 tracks off Disc D or go WTF and DL the whole thing at 12 credits. Remember you can't get Disc A at eMu. Is that all crystally clear?
  • edited August 2010
    Well, here's my official selection for the bonus splurge - http://www.emusic.com/album/Various-Artists-Tribute-to-Marcel-Dadi-MP3-Download/11082789.html] - very nice collection of fingerstyle tribute to Marcel Dadi, some familiar names, some European players I'm not familiar with, but I'm liking. This one's been in one of my holding bins for a while because at 27 tracks on 2 discs it's no bargain but it's good stuff. Thank you eMu.
  • diggin' this music maker recordings label. it's where i spent my last few bonus downloads.
  • 30 non-subscription dls to play with... wow.
    My first selection is the duet album with Kenny Werner (piano) and Benjamin Koppel (woodwinds).

61YEqLEEMwL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

"Walden"

-If you're familiar with the Mike Nock-Marty Ehrlich album "The Waiting Game", then you've got a decent idea of what this album is like. If not, then buy that album first.

Here's emusic's Walden...

http://www.emusic.com/album/Benjamin-Koppel-Kenny-Werner-Walden-MP3-Download/11646532.html

21 dls to go.
  • BT: i hadn't seen your post. thanks for linking to it!

actually, given its mission statement, i want to pay for the music maker titles. these are some talented musicians, and it seems like a crime that they earn less than 18K a year.
  • in fact, i'm thinking of making a donation to the foundation.
  • edited August 2010
    FB credits are in.

I have the Etta Baker with Taj Mahal on Music Maker, it is one of my favorites! This label used to be on Amie, maybe they will pop up there again.

I have been going to the greatest hits/bargain bin with my freebies:

300x300.jpg

300x300.jpg
  • You sure the FB credits are in? I don't seem them yet.

Craig
  • I got mine earlier today (with a pop up saying thanks for liking us or something). Guess I picked a good time to re-join. 20 freebies for me this month!
  • Interesting. Wonder if I'm getting glitched.

Craig
  • Craig, are you sure you "registered"? See their latest FB post on this, app still time to do so if you haven't.
  • Yeah, I saw that. I thought I was registered, but I did it again just to make sure.

Craig