Post your inside tips and mispriced box sets right here

Comments

• Doofy, that's a nice, a thanka you very much.
  • That is tempting Doofy. However, I think I'm going to pass. Mainly based on principle - I'm not comfortable giving money to a company that publicly stated that "there would be no change to the download policy" and then proceeded to make significant and fundamental changes to that very same policy.

Also, given that I'm currently at work I'm not sure that I can even purchase now and download later at home given the new download policy.

Secondary considerations are that I really find it unappealing that I would have to buy $xx.00 worth of boosters and then end up buying some number of albums and songs that would most likely total up to something less and end up forfeiting a positive account balance ($0.01 - $.048) when my current cancellation finally takes place on 25 November.

Right now there is so much I dislike about eMu (and with the most recent changes being expected to pay more to participate in the, now significantly worse, overall 'experience' that is eMu) that I'm looking forward to finally walking away. While I might miss some 'deals' I feel much better that I'm no longer supporting their business or have to deal with their quirks.
  • so sometimes it's (mildly) cheaper to purchase by the track than to download the album.
  • luddite, I think it's probable that buying that set from eMusic for $6 is doing the opposite of "giving money to emusic", assuming sensible compensation rates/schemes to the content producers.

amclark2, huh, that is an odd one, not sure how a programmatic price calculation could yield that and not be screwed up all over the place, unless it's a "manual" pricing mistake.

On a random pricing note, I'm amused in a faintly disgusted way that it seems that double-album prices are slightly inflated over single ones. I see $6.49/single, $13.10/double all over the place.
  • Daniel outed this one over at the other place. Had to make a quick run to the library to get it lest the price suddenly change. Dang, I'm having a hard time keeping him and Wandy straight. I have to make sure to see who posted before jeering. :)
  • On a random pricing note, I'm amused in a faintly disgusted way that it seems that double-album prices are slightly inflated over single ones. I see $6.49/single, $13.10/double all over the place.

You gotta take into account the cost of the extra packaging.
  • edited November 2010
    What is up with The House That Trane Built - The Story Of Impulse Records ? I thought $29.99 at eMu was steep for a collection that contains songs many people already have a number of - I thought that was why box sets are supposed to be cheaper, and to draw in the casual - but I see it's ~$40 at Amazon, $44 at 7dig. Pricey, very pricey.
    Is it a Verve thing? The Complete Norman Granz Jam Sessions, 5 discs, is $50 for the CD version at Amazon, $45 MP3, and a likewise pricey $32 at eMu.
  • That is a nice one mommio

Thanks

But I sadly I am currently bereft of fundage

Its just as well, I think I have most of that already anyway
  • JUJ, it was Doofy who first noted it, a few posts above mine. I still have $11.31 from a booster pack, but I'm not sure whether to spend it or save it a bit longer. I don't refresh until December 14. My refresh last week and part of a booster pack were spent on SFL items from the departed indie labels.

I saw a few things in the drop that are of interest to me, but nothing that is begging to be downloaded right now, with the exception of the album I downloaded this morning. And if Doofy hadn't linked it, I wouldn't have caught it. I'm glad the library is less than two miles away. Sixty-one tracks definitely called for high speed.
  • Just found this Ginger Baker album I have and like very much for $2.94 - Middle Passage - it has that magical quality of being only six tracks none of which exceed the Forbidden Zone of 9 or 10 minutes.
  • http://www.emusic.com/album/Jimmy-Smith-Live-At-The-Village-Gate-MP3-Download/12232223.html

Been a big fan on this since I found the vinyl ages ago. Nothing really special, but it was rare to hear Smith in a simple trio setting after he signed to Verve.
  • Daniel outed this one over at the other place. Had to make a quick run to the library to get it lest the price suddenly change.

tip-o-the-hat to another poster on the emusic boards, who first spotted it.
  • 300x300.jpg

James Chance and Contortions

used last 2 downloads on a quality check, then sprung for a 5.00 booster to get this:
    30 songs, 157 minutes for 5.99.
    if the dislocating swivel of a cross between James Brown and Captain Beefheart rings your dinghy, then this is a hell of a deal.
    funky and punky with lots of skronking sax
  • Was there a mention here or on the emu forum that Pharaoh Sander's Karma was going for a buck or two? I just saw it was at six bucks (album pricing) and couldn't remember if it had always been like that or if emu was adjusting some of its prices.
    Anyone?
  • srm, that's an interesting offering, and what with the holidays approaching the song Christmas With Satan is very appropriate given everyone's feeling about the other place. What I want to know is - at 9:54 that would be Album Only on many releases - did they give him a special exemption?
  • This was the last thing I downloaded yesterday - it's been in the SFL for a while, and either I had a moment of clarity or I'd been at the computer too long. There are actually some very cool songs on here - Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens - American Chicken Songs From The 1920's-1950's, available for a poultry $5.99.
  • Jonah, the Pharaoh deals are at CD Universe.
  • Thank you. I knew I hadn't dreamt that up.
  • Here's a Gene Ammons release I once had in my waiting for album pricing SFL, then it disappeared, but is now back - The Gene Ammons Story-The 78 Era, which even at $5.99 is better than the 27 downloads I didn't want to plunk down previously. Also found this for $2.45 -Boss Tenors In Orbit.
  • The Bunny Striker Lee Story - 101 tracks, 4 discs, $5.99 (this was 12 credits before the change)

Bollywood Box Set - $5.99 - this was cheap for a while, then got really expensive before the change - now cheap again.

Sun Ra - The Singles - $11.98 - this wasn't album priced before the change, so this is a better price than before, if not really an amazing price.

A well priced three-disc Supremes set -$13.10
  • amclark2, the Bunny and Bollywood albums look great.

selfrisinmojo, checking out the label of that James Chance collection, I found these psych comps that look like a good mix old and new:
    A Monstrous Psychedelic Bubble Exploding In Your Mind Vol. 2
    A Monstrous Psychedelic Bubble Exploding In Your Mind Vol. 3
  • Thanks for the recommendations but in the UK the Bunny Lee Striker Story set is £42.42 - that is almost $69 at today's exchange rate! More than my 100 credits a month - I don't think I'll get it... Similar with the others except I can't download the Supremes. I can't actually see anyone wanting to download any of these at non-US prices. I saw a set a couple of months ago - I think it was 80s music - about 200 tracks - and it was download the whole set. I couldn't see anybody wanting to download that at all if it wasn't album priced at 12 credits for the lot!
  • thanks for pointing those out hoosfoos, definitely two of the most bizarre collections of songs
    i've seen admission charged to;
    i'm tempted to download both of them, lock myself in a room with a roll of well plied paper towels and see which
    hallucinations grip the tightest: sensory or excretory.
  • This to me is big - my other favorite Webb Wilder album (along with It Came From Nashville) is now on eMu - Hybrid Vigor - this was my first Webb Wilder - I found it in a cutout bin - and it made me a convert. This one gets five stars from me for roots-rocking goodness.
  • Wow, didn't think I'd see Wilder's name bought up anywhere. Hybrid Vigor is really good. I haven't listened to the guy in well over ten years. I think I saw him live in Denver, but man, hard to remember; that was a long time ago.
    Worth checking out, for sure.
  • Nice find on the Webb Wilder. Saw him a few times back in the day, always a good show. I have several on CD, including Hybrid Vigor and It Came From Nashville.

Work hard, rock hard, grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em.
  • Oh, maybe I saw him at the SxSW festival back in the day. That might've been it. This is gonna kill me 'til I remember.
  • The shocking fact I forgot to mention is that the Webb Wilder album was in the Recommended For You on eMu this morning - not to give the webmonkeys too much credit, I have downloaded some Webb there, but I was none the less surprised to find a truly favorite album there contained.
  • edited November 2010
    In spite of my eMu misgivings of the moment I just gave this one a listen and although there's a certain early '70's excess to it in some ways, I really liked it - Fiddler On The Rock by Don "Sugarcane" Harris and Harvey Mandel, from about the time they were both in John Mayall's band. selfrisingmojo this one made me think of you for some reason, seems like something you'd like.
    Oops, forgot to mention it's only $2.94 (six tracks).
  • BigD-Bluez- you are correct sir; Sugarcane and Harvey played together on this essential release-tracks 8 through 16..one of my all time faves.
    they also played together in the Pure Food and Drug Act.
    i happened upon a Harvey Mandel gig, by accident, in a local bar in 1979.....truly the last time my mind and body danced together for the same reason.