Post your inside tips and mispriced box sets right here

Comments

• edited May 2011
    7Digital has Tindersticks Clair Denis Films Scores 1996-2009 for 8.99 USD and 7.99 Pounds.This is a 5-CD set that I was very interested in - I was thinking about getting the physical set as the DL price has been pricey. Anemusic poster pointed to the British price, and when I checked the US price and saw that it was 8.99 - I grabbed it.

The link is to the US version.

BTW, Emusic doesn't seem to have it right now. If you search Emu for TIndersticks they say they don't have anything by tthem - except the 6 albums they have (the link to the CD's is on the page where they deny having Tindersticks - curious).
  • edited May 2011
    BT, those look like wicked deals, I just checked out the Texas one and pulled the trigger immediately - 75 tracks, oh yeah, even if I have a number of them already. Any release that has My Time Is Expensive by Gatemouth Brown gets a gold star from me. Interesting label they're on - Fantastic Voyage/The Orchard - yeah, probably another one of those $4.40 copyright violating graverobbing Eurotrash ventures - but it is a deal. This collection of instrumentals, sadly only 50 tracks, looks nice also - link. Interesting rock'n'roll selections too - such as Savvy Sugar The Pure Essence of West Coast Rock, although I don't know that some of these artists are very West Coast, but tasty.
  • BD-B, I'm looking at the Atlanta box--it seems more oriented toward 30s-40s acoustic. What do you think?
  • edited May 2011
    BT, agree with your assessment, I notice there are some more bigger band/electric cuts down the list, but they are all nice collections I'd say. I like that these are not the usual suspect collections - the rock'n'roll ones have a lot of name artists but more off the beaten path songs. There are at least 8 or 9 albums from this label I will be hitting - just from the last drop from the 17th.
    Even this Echoes of France comp is tempting to me at this price - I might have a moment of cheese eating surrender monkey fever.
  • Atlanta, here I come.
  • edited May 2011
    From the same Fantastic Voyage label is this $4.40 offering, 61 tracks and an interview, that is way ahead of the pack value wise, including some of yesterday's drop, of Ricky Nelson. Why on earth would you want Ricky Nelson? In between the pop numbers were some serious rocking sides, many with James Burton backing him up on some mean guitar. The fairly famous Waiting In School had Joe Maphis playing on it.
  • Just looked at those blues sets. The first was £31!! No-one will of course buy at that price - it is one of the downsides of track pricing. You gain some and you loose some....
  • Lee Morgan - Live At The Lighthouse, 3 discs, about 180 minutes, $6.49.
  • edited August 2011
    After several samples worth of consideration I just hit this also from that Fantastic Voyage label - a fool and his $4.40 are easily parted - but there's some rockin' dames going on here - Girls Gone Rockin'. Really spans the gamut from early R&B to rock'n'roll and rockabilly. Good stuff.
    Here is another $4.40 deal I found nosing around Johnny Moore's Three Blazers - 100 Post-War R&B Classics. My only reservation at all is how many of these songs do I already have - there's a lot of artists that were on Specialty - but at this price who cares - I'm getting 60, 70 I don't have. This comp has some seriously good music on it.EDIT**** They replaced the $4.40 with a $5.99 version - still not a bad deal.
  • I honestly didn't expect this to actually go through:
    >>>>>>>>>
    Greetings from Amazon.com.

We thought you'd like to know that we shipped your items, and that this completes your order. Your order is being shipped and cannot be changed by you or by our customer service department.

The following items have been shipped to you by Amazon.com:
    Qty Item Price Shipped Subtotal

Amazon.com items (Sold by Amazon.com, LLC) :

1 Vivaldi Edition $27.01 1 $27.01

1 Telemann Edition $26.78 1 $26.78

1 Complete Beethoven Edition $29.44 1 $29.44

1 Liszt Portrait $26.78 1 $26.78

1 Handel Portrait $27.01 1 $27.01

Shipped via UPS

Tracking number: 1ZWxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Item Subtotal: $137.02
    Shipping and handling: $6.94
    Super Saver Discount: $-6.94
    Pre-order Guarantee: $0.00
    Promotion Applied: $0.00
    Total: $137.02
    Paid by Discover: $137.02
    Our Pre-order Price Guarantee covers one or more item(s) in this order. If the Amazon.com price decreases between the time you place your order and the end of the day of the release date, you'll receive the lowest price.
    >>>>>>>>>

As an additional small bonus it turns out I saved another 2-3 cents per box set compared to the original price when I placed my order.
  • I wish.....
  • edited June 2011
    Summabitch, hit that Routes Of Rockabilly - those 75 tracks for $5.99, it's a steal. I happen to have the 3 CD set here at work today I bought a couple of months ago for like $23 - and am still glad to have it, it's that good. Would have dug the MP3 version for $5.99 though.

Holy crap, BT, now that I've browsed there's some good stuff - I am DL'ing this puppy - Honky Tonkin'-87 Tracks from the Golden Years of Country - this is what I call country, not the pop pap masquerading as country (whether from the 70's or today or in between.

I like that New York blues comp - I honestly don't know what the hell it has to do with New York but they're good tunes.

This one - Good Rockin' Tonight - Red Hot Rockabilly - is a smoking good comp of pretty mainstream hardcore vintage rockabilly. If you need a classic rockabilly comp this is the s**t - it's even got Rocket In My Pocket. Trust me on this, kids.
  • edited June 2011
    BigD: they are great comps. Love them. I've been checking if more Fantastic Voyage sets show up.

Here's something that may or may not have escaped our attention:
    300x300.jpg
    It's not a huge savings at $6.60, but it still looks good.
  • Re: New York Blues Comp--I'm lost with regard to the thematic unity. I see lots of names I love, many of the Piedmont players I prefer among blues players, but I don't see from the tracks what kind of story it's trying to tell. They gained reputations playing to New York audiences, and many of them settled in the city. But they are drawn from so many parts of the country, and the comp does offer any sense that they influence blues musicians in the city--or even each when they were in the city.
  • BT, that Champion Jack Dupree is a great record. I also bought the Blue Horizon Otis Spann and Eddie Boyd sets on CD when they were reissued and love them (because most of the tracks had some of Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac (blessedly minus Jeremy Spencer) as the backing band).
  • Here are some other Fantastic Voyage sets that hopefully drop soon (before I quit v2.0).

Western Swingin' 85 Tracks from Three Golden Decades of Western Swing
    Sassy Sugar - The Pure Essence of Nashville Rock n Roll
    James Brown: I'll Go Crazy
    Let Me Tell You About The Blues: New Orleans Blues
    Let Me Tell You About The Blues: The Evolution Of Nashville Blues
    Constant Sorrow: Bluegrass From Root To Flower
    You're My Best Poker Hand: T-Bone Walker
    Billie Holiday: Gee Baby, Ain't I Good To You - Live, Radio, TV & Film Recordings - 1934-1958
  • Hit that Les Paul comp, How High The Moon, that BT posted earlier in the week - 75 tracks too good to pass up, and at the price whatever overlap it's got with previous acquisitions is quite acceptable. It's funny I've blown through 2 Boosters since the start of May, and not mostly because of new major label at higher prices but because of a slew of $4.40 and $5.99 budget comps that were really worthwhile.
  • The new John Luther Adams Four Thousand Holes (mistakenly filed under performer-pianist Stephen Drury's name) is only $1.40 for two tracks: 32 and 10 minutes long.

Recommended for fans of pretty ambient/minimalist classical sounds.

300x300.jpg
  • If I ever get a rejoin offer, I'll definitely look into picking up that Adams. I had a couple things by him in my SFL.

From what I've heard of him, describing his music as "pretty, ambient/minimalist classical sounds" is pretty accurate.
  • This isn't really my cup of tea personally, but the "complete box set" (71 tracks) of Janice Whaley's "Smiths Project" (basically an a cappella avec drum machina version of nearly every song the Smiths ever recorded, in order of release) is currently mispriced on eMu at $5.99.

300x300.jpg

Hard cheese on the people who bought the albums separately at $5.99 each, I guess.
  • 519qBlacyHL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

This arrived last night - 10 discs of Charlie Parker for 17 bucks. The sound quality is good, the packaging and track information is minimal, but that's ok.
  • edited June 2011
    Thanks, amclark. This can go next to the 10 CD box of Lester Young that froggie tipped to last holiday season, and was A OK. And which is still there for $18.85 if anyone's interested. OK, it was a way better deal at 17something, just live with it.
  • I found this by looking for things on the same label as the Lester Young set - other interesting things I've found but haven't gotten yet: Billie Holiday, Count Basie and Louis Armstrong.
  • edited June 2011
    You might even like this at a whopping $26.35, a 10 CD Astor Piazzolla box but I just bought the last one. This should probably give me enough Piazzolla until the end of days but I do like his stuff. I think John Cleese should play him in the movie, eh?
  • While I have never been a Mahavishnu fan, and I have tried to understand the fuss, I found this selection for 2something at Amazon while poking around the cheap jazz section, and to my surprise eMusic has it for $1.94 which is weird (and maybe a mistake taking the gripes in the side column about Album Pricing from the 12 Download days into consideration) - Between Nothingness & Eternity. For $1.94 I'm going to try digesting Mahavishnu one more time.
  • That's not the album I'd recommend a Mahavishnu neophyte start with. Good luck with it, but if you really want to understand the band check Inner Mounting Flame.
  • That's not the album I'd recommend a Mahavishnu neophyte start with. Good luck with it, but if you really want to understand the band check Inner Mounting Flame.
    That's the one I already have - we'll have to see.

Anyhow. I was posting about this I found over at Amazon - Vivaldi Concertos - by Trevor Pinnock and company, 5 CD set for $20.99 which is not too shabby.
  • edited June 2011
    Heres a very reasonably priced Stan Getz compilation - 48 tunes, 195:25 minutes for $5.99. Some real good stuff on there too.

http://www.emusic.com/album/Stan-Getz-Greatest-Sessions-MP3-Download/11387279.html[/url}