Post your inside tips and mispriced box sets right here

Comments

• Came across this one in my SFL - Rock'N'Roll Instrumentals - Gold Edition - at $4.40 for 76 tracks it's a good collection of mostly guitar driven instrumentals. It's got a bunch of the usual classics and some less known for flavor. I think I just lost track of it in the SFL wilderness.
  • edited July 2011
    Was tipped to some big, and I mean big, classical arrivals at eMu by this JPFalcon post link, a number being on the DG label. I'm currently downloading that 111 Years six disc set - nice at $2 something a disc.

2ND EDIT - it just worked for me through the link below - ESAD, eMu MF's.
    EDIT -Never Mind, the MF's pulled the plug on this one!
    There is a monster opera deal too - Verdi - Great Operas From La Scala - it is a chunk of change at $26 but comprises 21 discs , 8 complete operas, it's from La Scala with some name talent. I'm thinking hard on this. Here's the fuller description from the Amazon CD page - link for better info, and accompanying catty reviews from cognoscenti - sheez, you thought we were bad?
  • I went back to eMu to get another Let Me Tell You About the Blues collection, and they are almost all gone or not available in my country (US). Only Atlanta, Detroit and Texas remain. I bought the West Coast set and it is now gone from eMu, the New York and Memphis sets in my SFL are no longer available.
  • I don't see the Rockabilly or Les Paul collections either.
  • Actually now the DG 111 years set is 6 albums for $13.10. Still a lot of music for the price.
  • edited July 2011
    I just looked at the Fantastic Voyage page and there seem to be a great many items missing added after 5/17/11 - including all the ones you guys mentioned above - they must have gotten hip that they were underpriced. Drat, I never got the New York set - although, it may be the only one I missed. Just goes to show never wait on a bargain with these people.

On a similar theme, my acquisition of Verdi : Great Operas From La Scala, mentioned above, just led me to reorganize an Opera playlist from my happily reunited collection (new computer, large HD), shameful amount of "Wow, look at that" going on, and I'm listening to one of the 2 versions of Magic Flute I found - the Berlin Phil/Sir Thomas Beecham - now $11.98 which I got for two downloads at the time. The Verdi set sounds good BTW, better fidelity than most of the Past Classics etc. that were such a great deal back in the day.
  • edited July 2011
    Actually, the $4.40 boxes are still there!

[ETA] Interestingly, the very same sets disappeared from 7dig.
  • edited July 2011
    Routes of Rockabilly is gone, and the only Let Me Tell you About The Blues I can find are the first three -Atlanta, Detroit, Texas. The Chicago, Memphis, New York and West Coast are gone.

I see over at 7digital they still have the West Coast one for $8.99, but also West Coast Part 1 - only 25 tracks $8.99, so that would seem to be the direction this is headed in.
  • edited July 2011
    Hmm, the Houston Might Be Heaven release I mentioned on page 2 here gets me a This Album Not Yet Published page - that's a new one on me. Is somebody reading our mail?
  • Comparison shopping is getting to be more and more work as time goes on.

I was not really in the habit of thinking of CDUniverse as an MP3 store - but just noticed that Nicolas Bernier's silence.musique is there for download for $0.99

Compare: $9.99 at iTunes, $8.99 at Amazon, $8.99 at 7Digital, $5.99 at emusic, 4 credits at MTraks... - that's a pretty wide range ($0.99-$9.99). Will have to add that to my list of sites to check if the emu price does not look right.
  • This one gets a post on the weird factor alone - Moog & Sitar - anybody ever even heard of this?
  • edited July 2011
    I've been ferreting out some JSP box sets available at 7digital, so I'll just add them as I go along -
    1. Lester Flatt & Earl Scruggs & the Stanley Brothers 1947-1953 - 4 discs, 94 tracks, $8.99.
    2. Flatt & Scruggs & the Stanley Brothers Selected Cuts 1952-1959 - 4 discs, 100 tracks, $8.99.
    3.Rare West Coast Jump and Jive 1945-1954 - 4 discs, 101 tracks, $8.99.
    4.Blind Blake - All The Published Sides - 5 discs, 110 tracks, $8.99.
    5. Lightnin' Hopkins All The Classics 1946-1951 - 5 discs, 126 tracks, $8.99.
    6. Big Joe Turner All The Classic Hits 1938-1952 - 5 discs, 126 tracks, $8.99.
    7. Bill Monroe and his Bluegrass Boys All The Classic Releases 1937-1949 - 4 discs, 112 tracks, $8.99.
    8. Bix and Tram - 4 discs, 84 tracks, $8.99.

That's it for now, over and out.

I'm back. Found this in a SFL at eMu so this may have been brought up before, but 7dig has it - Charlie Parker On Dial - The Complete Sessions - 89 tracks, $7.99. I'm having some notion of discussion as to whether this is so complete (?), but that's a bunch of Bird none the less.
  • Do you dig Little Richard? If so you might like this 58 track collection Little Richard & The Little Richard Sound. The draw here is not the 5 or so retread tracks by the man himself('60's re-dos of '50's Specialty hits) but the other 50 something tracks of people some of whom I've never heard of rocking their asses off like they're possessed by him. Great period rock'n'roll, good deal at $5.99, and much better than I expected.
  • Fretworks English Music for Viols $7.50 for 330 minutes.
  • edited July 2011
    Thanks, BT, that's a good one. I had DL'd some tracks by Fretworks(on original instruments), same group I presume(?), long ago that I liked a lot, and am now reminded that I can complete the album since that was pre-album pricing.

Edit - That Fretworks is very nice - been listening to the first part as it downloads. Very soothing type music.
  • Some of the older EMI multidiscs are actually very well priced. I'll have to research it.
  • edited July 2011
    Predictably, I always look for the guitar first - 100 Best Guitar Classics - 6 discs, $12. I'm going to have to evaluate it against some collections I have at home, and it is excerpts, but I'm intrigued.
    Also a sampler at 6 discs $12 but this might sample some lesser known or visited for me, or you, 100 Best Opera Classics, hopefully with decent fidelity.
  • edited July 2011
    That 100 Best Guitar Classics looks a great album - shame it is on EMI! I'll try to chase it up on Amazon or 7 digital

Edit - thanks BDB, it is £8.99 from Amazon for 100 tracks. Amazing value for 100 tracks!
  • Most welcome, greg. Here's a search link for eMusic that has a whole series of these EMI releases, 100 Best. I'm eyeballing 100 Best Cello which begins of course with three of the Bach suites by three different cellists including Rostropovich doing No.5 who was always my favorite. I'm looking at this as a guide to finding things I might decide I need more of. The 7digital prices (at least US) on these releases are huge, one was $70 something, so I'm guessing theirs are somehow not album priced also.
  • edited July 2011
    I think the key to getting a good price at 7dig is searching labels that are essentially European. Indeed, I usually search through Amazon.co.uk to what might possibly be available at 7dig. Anything that has a home office in the US is likely to have higher prices.

BTW, the cello collection looks like it hasn't a dud.
  • edited July 2011
    Did you by any chance happen to see the Related Artists feature at the bottom of the page for 100 Best Cellos? Pretty hilarious, especially Formal Connections. A demented webmonkey function of Various Artists no doubt.
  • Lol. Screaming Lord Sutch had not crossed my mind in quite a while. Didn't know he was a cellist.
  • 100 Clarinet Classics, with Benny Goodman, Woody Herman, and Sidney Bechet. Only $4.40 for the set.
  • edited July 2011
    That's a strong possibility there - got the 8 minute Sing, Sing, Sing version, a good sign. If you use 100 as a Search criteria over at eMu you can get 105 pages worth of albums full of the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. Some are actually really worth having.
  • Had anyone noticed that Sonny Rollins The Complete Blue Note Recordings is over there for $10.70 for the 5 disc set?
  • Wow. That's an excellent deal. All the Sonny Rollins stuff on Blue Note was solid. I've never been a huge Rollins fan, but the two Vanguard discs and Newk's Time are still albums I'll play from time to time. For those listeners who Rollins connects with, these are pretty much essential.

Y'know, on a side note, I had forgotten that Blue Note was even available on emu.
  • I know nothing about this version but how many Beethoven Complete Symphonies do you find for $4.40 - link. Bon chance.
  • The complete Gerry Mulligan Quartet with Chet Baker The Original Sessions & Collaborations 1953 The Reunion 1957, 2CD's, about 130 minutes, $4.40.
    Queuing up complaint about copyright infringement.