Coined

Unless proven otherwise, I'm going to take credit for coining the term Indiecrat to define any dogmatic follower of the Pitchfork credo.

Respond if you must, but prepare to be labeled.

Comments

• edited November 2010
    I thought indiecrats were people who voted for Obama in '08 and then voted Republican this year. But I do approve of your usage.
  • What is "the Pitchfork credo"?

Craig
  • edited November 2010
    I thought indiecrats were people who voted for Obama in '08 and then voted Republican this year. But I do approve of your usage.

This is a music reference for that word. I cannot help that others have previously misused my word incorrectly.

But it's just like an Indiecrat to point that out. What's wrong? Was Sufijan Stevens last album insufficiently mopey?
    It's sometimes known as the Destruction of the Four Olds.
  • it's just like an Indiecrat to point that out.

Now, now, I wasn't saying that others had used the word. It was merely my reaction to your creation. And for the record I could give a rat's ass about Pitchfork.

That Indie music is the only credible music there is, that the people who listen to it are misunderstood geniuses, and that anyone who disagrees doesn't realize how uncool they are.

The Pitchfork Ten Commandments:

1. Indie really is a genre.
    2. Pet Sounds is way better than Sgt. Pepper.
    3. Do not worship false Bonnie Prince Billies.
    4. Thou shalt not purchase major label artist.
    5. Dude, R.E.M. totally sold out with "Green".
    6. Do not take the Uncle Tupelo's name in vain.

Oh, man, my head is spinning from the possibilities. Let me take a break and come back down from the mountaintop with some new and revised tablets.
  • 7. Thou shalt have no Pixies before Cobain.
  • I do not believe this Bonnie Prince Billy actually exists as I've never seen proof. Yes, I'm a Bonnie Prince Billy atheist.

Craig
  • 7. Thou shalt have no Pixies before Cobain.

Ooh, good one.

Or how about...

8. Overlook Bob Mould and thou shalt have thy eyes stricken from thee.
  • 9. Radiohead is thy god; bow before him.

Hm, is Radiohead still Indie-certified? Or have they officially sold out? No, I think they're still in. Pretty sure. Let me go see what Pitchfork says, then I'll figure out what my opinion on the subject is.
  • Well, I'm in favor of #8.

Craig
  • Indiecrat, nice. I feel like the term hipster should, nay must, be summoned here somewhere. I must admit that I look at Pitchfork's reviews, but never feel like they're the final word, especially when it's an artist that they helped overhype after a first album, and then turn around for a later album by the same act to claim they're now overrated.
  • I also don't get the Bonnie Prince Billy Hype.
  • Bonnie Prince Billie turned water to PBR. He is now a legend.
  • And, actually, I really enjoy the couple albums I own of his. But Palace Brothers, totally overrated.
  • edited November 2010
    And dont'chya know, Pitchfork turns water to Iron & Wine.

God, that guy puts me to sleep.
  • #10 - A true artist must have a beard.

Craig
  • #10b - The only cool major label albums are the ones made before you were born.
  • Pretty sure. Let me go see what Pitchfork says, then I'll figure out what my opinion on the subject is.
    Sure sign of an indiecrat, no?
  • edited November 2010
    10C. Though shalt use the word "Shoegazer" in every review.
  • A lot of Iron and Wine is sleepy, though the EP he did with Calexico is awesome. The Shepard's Dog is good too, probably because there is more than his voice and a guitar used.
  • #10b - The only cool major label albums are the ones made before you were born.

Yes! Put that one near the top of the list. Right near Though shalt not murder Neutral Milk Hotel.
    Sure sign of an indiecrat, no?

Exactly! Now you're getting it!
  • But is The Gilded Palace of Sin way better than Sweetheart of the Rodeo?

#10c - or the ones somehow connected to Wu-Tang Clan
  • I have a confession. I actually decided not to buy an album once based on the Pitchfork review.

To be fair, it was an album that sounded good to me, but I had a feeling that it would start to annoy me after awhile. Sure enough, the P4K review basically said that it was good, but didn't hold up to repeated listening.
  • You can't not share which album that is.

P4K gave the new Kanye a perfect 10. Guess I should get it.

Craig
  • I've bought and not bought a whole crapload of stuff based on P4K reviews. Although I have generally found that I trust their positive reviews more than their negatives. I even once went to the P4K music festival.

I guess I know what I must be. Oh well. I've been called worse.

I skimmed that Kanye review this morning but missed the 10. TMT gave it a 4.5/5 too, and the two often much disagree. I guess I'll probably get it too.
  • Oh, that Pitchfork festival is a good one. There was one in particular I badly wanted to go to but was lucky enough to get a double shift at the bar... bartending from six pm to eleven pm and then shifting to barback/doorman 'til close... too much money there to pass up on. Spiritualized was playing that show, though. Tough to miss.

Me, I was always a sucker for NME magazines one-line reviews. Found Calexico that way. They said something to effect of "Feast of Wire" is what it would sound like if Radiohead recorded a country album. A few samples of the album and I bought it.
  • That Spiritualized was the one I got to go to! How I ended up going was that my sister used to work for Goose Island, who up until this year (screw you Pitchfork and Heineken) were the beer providers for Pitchfork, so I got free tickets. I wasn't even sure about going to Spiritualized; never been a huge fan, but I went, and it ended up being my favorite thing of the weekend. Sorry you missed it.
  • Did she work admin for Goose Island or one of the bars? They had a bar over in Wrigleyville on Clark. I used to work at a bar over on Clark near Belmont. We'd get some of the GI crew in from time to time.