Oh boy Oh boy ! - Greg Haines has done it again:

300x300.jpg
    Greg Haines - Digressions

Greg Haines - Digressions / 183 Times @ Youtube
    - Simply Gorgeous !
  • edited August 2016
    - From the slightly extreme experimental department:

600x600.jpg

- "The title of this collection refers most literally to the methods of assembling the elements of Bischoff’s work. In one brief phrase it describes both a methodology that is used to build the pieces and the concrete results of that activity. By terming the process combine rather than combination, he focuses on the act and experience of juxtaposing sounds over their semantic results once they are combined. Though some of the processes heard here involve recycling timings or sounds, their deployment is always in the present and they are imbued with a clarity that only listening in the moment can provide. As new combinations and permutations of sonic materials emerge, the perceptual focus is always on the physical sound, whether acoustic or electronic in origin."

john_bischoff.jpg
    John Bischoff (b. 1949)
    - "Is an early pioneer of live computer music. He was a founding member of the League of Automatic Music Composers (1978), considered to be the world’s first Computer Network Band. His long experience teaching music theory, harmony, and counterpoint is evident in his work: in the elegant balance of elements in his pieces can be heard an intuitive understanding of traditional musical forms expressed in sonic palettes far removed from the ones around which those forms were originally constructed. He describes his work as “a music built from the intrinsic features of the electronic medium at hand: high definition noise components, tonal edges, digital shading, and non-linear motion, all evolving in the variable context of live performance.” While these features are all prominent, his work can also be considered fundamentally as a form of “expanded counterpoint,” one in which the juxtaposition of sonic elements and their compositional development is a central concern. His work possesses a clear and intuitive sense of formal clarity combined with a nuanced deployment of audio events and textures."
    - New World Records.
    http://www.johnbischoff.com/
  • edited June 2013
    300x300.jpg Michael-Chapman-photo100.jpg

"Chapman's uniquely English melancholic perspective and emotive guitar style first won him the admiration of many, from John Peel to his rediscovery by recent kindred spirits Jack Rose, Thurston Moore and Will Oldham.
    This performance will premiere a live version of his recent "The Resurrection And Revenge Of Clayton Peacock" improv album originally released as a limited vinyl on Ecstatic Peace, now re-released on CD by blastfirstpetite, and which was voted The Wire's #6 album of 2011."

- Blast First Petite.
    http://www.michaelchapman.co.uk/
  • edited March 2012
    From Strange Attractors Audio House (Steffen Basho-Junghans, Nels Cline, Kinski) @ Bandcamp

4178701133-1.jpg
    Yair Yona - World Behind Curtains

- "World Behind Curtains marks a turning point in Yair Yona’s development as an artist. Make no mistake, this is not a steel string guitar album; this is an instrumental record, ambitious and singular in scope. May it serenade many late-night forays into richly colored realms of self-reflection – with the drapes spread emphatically wide."

ETA: Emusic
  • 333.jpg

Kane Ikin and David Wenngren, Strangers.
    Kane Ikin (Solo Andata) meets David Wenngren (Library Tapes) in a blissed-out cloud of shoegaze ambience for Kesh Records. 'Strangers' is the first time they've met on record and hopefully not the last. They both approach the project from similar backgrounds in the wide-open fields of electro-acoustic minimalism to create six patient, beautifully glacial compositions. Unfortunately we're stuck for info, but we can discern traces of piano, guitar and other strings meshed into their crisply diffuse scapes, painting airy melodies and breathing rich, spacious harmonics across a still, but ominously cloudy nocturnal backdrop. The mastering job by Taylor Deupree really brings out the shimmering detail and gossamer fine layering of their sound. Lush.
  • edited February 2012
    3114976370-1.jpg
    Frank Riggio - Psychexcess I - Presentism

- "Stop a moment with dualities and fears, enjoy the gorgeousness of the unknown, the psychexcess."
    http://hymen-records.com/ - Emusic - http://frankriggio.bandcamp.com/
  • edited February 2012
    3058390840-1.jpg

TWO / TWENTY-TWO by CORY ALLEN + MARCUS FISCHER
    Two / Twenty Two by Cory Allen and Marcus Fischer occurred because the two musicians acted on their shared February 22 birthday. Both live in cities considered artistic outposts in otherwise rustic states (Allen: Austin, Texas; Fischer: Portland, Oregon), both have professional experience in visual design, and both explore gentle sonic psychedelics that bring texture to what might otherwise be termed ambient. All coincidence, certainly.

Allen and Fischer stacked the deck in congruity’s favor by providing each other with a set of samples from which to devise new music. The result is two rough fragile recordings. They have the burnish of delicate objects that survived significant tumult. As for the tremulous piano in track two, perhaps it’s a nod to Chopin, who was, according to various databases tracking such things, also born on February 22.

Two tracks, 22 minutes each. Release date 2/22/12. Price: $2.22 on Bandcamp.
  • Thanks for the Yair Yona note, @BN. I just ordered the vinyl, listening to the mp3's right this instant. I think it stands up to Kottke or John Fahey. Less mad/drunk than Fahey, but very enjoyable if you like acoustic guitar with unusual tunings.
  • edited February 2015
    @ Plong42 . . .You are welcome.

- Great news from the amazing Andrew Liles:
    a1035188207_2.jpg
    THE SHAPE OF ILLUSIONS TO COME
    - "‘The Shape of Illusions to Come’ is a collection of extracts from forthcoming 2012 releases."
  • 300x300.jpg

New on Soundway. I've read they are shifting focus from theme comps to straight-up reissues.
    This extraordinary, dark , moody and experimental offering from teenage Ghanaian afro rock outfit Edzayawa (Pronounced Ed - Zye - Ow - Ahh) is one the more obscure and unique releases that Soundway have brought back to life over the past ten years. Arriving in Lagos from Togo in the spring of 1973 the band were taken under the wing of Fela Kuti. After a run of appearances on the bill at his Shrine club they were signed by EMI Nigeria's visionary in-house producer Odion Iruoje. Over two days in May 1973 they recorded Projection One, which was their one and only release before disbanding two years later.

etc.
  • loscilcover.jpg?w=369&h=495

There are three new titles out in WistRec's fascinating Book Report Series. This one, which I just ordered (so there are not more than 99 copies remaining) is by Loscil. The other two are by Danny Norbury and Tape Loop Orchestra. If this should interest you you likely have a limited window of time before they sell out.
  • edited February 2012
    New Monolake album, released today and already dropped at emu:

300x300.jpg

The aesthetic sounds like a continuation of Silence (which was a fine album) on a first listen to the samples. Henke writes:
    The title of this album, Ghosts, came to my mind at a quite early stage. I liked it due of the large field of associations it provokes. I started taking notes about topics connected to the term, read about mythologies and collected ideas. I also often write fragmentary texts, short cinematic scenes that I come up with when my head is idling and I have time to kill. One of these texts is included in the artwork of the CD and the vinyl edition and it is an essential part of the Ghosts album, it serves as a window to a bigger drama, and the music offers another view. The text also links the Ghosts album to the Silence album from 2009. Both stories are related, I just don't know yet how.
    Independently of the aim to create a new album I constantly try out things in the studio, and some day in December 2010 a structure started to emerge that had a dark and evil quality. I knew this would become a core part of a future album and I gave that sketch the working title 'Ghosts'. Finding new material with similar color turned out to be more difficult than I did anticipate so I changed my strategy and worked on sounds and shapes of very different vibe; whimsical little sonic creatures, potentially mean or helpful spirits that have their very own life. I recorded and transformed sounds from objects I found in my flat; glasses, paper, thin plastic sheets, stones, pebbles in a salad bowl and so on. I believe I became a pretty good foley artist by doing so. The track 'Taku' mainly consists of recordings I made with two empty glasses clicking at each other, and 'Unstable Matter' is an exercise in applying complex transformations to all kinds of recordings: a bunch of vintage cymbals, my own voice, metal plates, singing bowls, bells, and a rusty hi-hat.
    Doesn't actually sound all that evil to me. The album can be extensively sampled on his website where there is also the rest of his long and interesting description of how the album was made.
  • edited January 2014
    Brand new Contemporary Classical album with full orchestra from Sub Rosa:

300x300.jpg
    Jean-Luc Fafchamps, Ictus Ensemble - Sufi Word: KDGhZ2SA

- "The never-ending connotative relationships that Sufi mysticism establishes between letters, the human breath, vitality and affects, acted as a source of inspiration for the major cycle taking shape, the first “Sufi Word” of which you see here. The CD consists of 4 pieces for instrumental ensemble, an orchestral prologue and a final movement for ensemble and orchestra.
    JL Fafchamps : "Since 2000, I have been spending much time writing Sufi Letters, despite the fact that I am not a Sufi, or even Muslim, and I do not speak Arabic... Actually, these letters are more than letters addressed to careful readers; they are also and mostly exercises in calligraphy, alphabetic symbols. They are based on a Sufi chart connecting a vast system of symbolic interrelations to the twenty-eight letters in the Arabic alphabet – a sort of methodical summary of metaphorical and mystical thinking, as it has been drawn once by Sheikh Abul-Muwwayid of Gujarat [India] for incantation."

- Jean-Luc Fafchamps @ Soundcloud
  • edited March 2012
    This great new release hasn't been mentioned here yet, afaict -
    Tim Berne's Snakeoil:

cover.jpg

As Berne's' my single favorite musician, any new release is notable, but this one particularly so - it's his first studio album in a while, and the first on ECM, with a working band he developed for quite a while (it was earlier called "Los Totopos" before changing to "Snakeoil"). I saw the band two nights in a row in Baltimore than DC - fantastic concerts. It's always a pleasure to realize the magic is still there in one's relationship to an old favorite, and I love this album too.

Click the above link to stream a full track from ECM. Here's a very good interview with Berne about the band and record on Jason Crane's "The Jazz Session". Here are some reviews.
  • edited March 2012
    0dc96625df1aa8bc11267266f4482a05.png

Just out on Experimedia. Nice. Might review it for MiG (while listening my brain started composing a review without my permission; we'll see if it turns coherent)
    Comprised of Joseph Raglani (Kranky) and Mike Pollard (Arbor), Bryter Layter is a collaborative unit that focuses on the lyrical faculties of analog synthesis. For the most part, these recordings find the pair eschewing the at-times unfocused, long-form drone techniques that have become fixtures in the scene in favor of short, melodic compositions that are strikingly rich in detail. Listeners familiar with the oeuvres of Raglani and Pollard will find much to love here. As the pillow-soft, analog tone-clouds that characterize the latter's work as Pale Blue Sky find themselves wed to the highly structured, dynamic arrangements that one associates with the former's solo output."Two Lenses" is rich and cinematic, rife with evocative motifs which ebb and flow from one piece to the next creating, over the course of the album, a masterfully composed, unified whole.

Streamable preview here
  • edited January 2014
    a1860946588_2.jpg
    - "Schwere See (Heavy Sea) is all about the sea – the second album release by Peter Prautzsch pays a mournful and triumphant tribute to the nineteenth and early twentieth century quests of oceanic and polar explorers. Its widescreen aural panorama slowly shifts from modern electronic drone to blurred melodies – a densely textured voyage build from field-recording compositions and acoustic studio recordings, equally drawing from neo-classical ambient music and mircosounds. ‘Schwere See’ is a collection of subtle movements in sound, long-stretched hymns and fragile intervals – a melancholic and cinematic scope to the monumental struggles of these early expeditions into the Arctic Ocean and the continent of Antarctica.

‘Schwere See’ has been recorded over the past two years in both Kiel and Berlin, Germany and Hvide Sande, Denmark. It’s the second album release by Peter Prautzsch following his 2007 debut ‘Vor der Stadt’. The new album features guest appearances by Sasu Ripatti (Vladislav Delay, Luomo, Moritz von Oswald Trio) on percussion, Marc Weiser (Rechenzentrum, Zeitkratzer) on drums, Masayoshi Fujita (El Fog) on vibraphone and Friso Van Daalen on guitar."

- Soundcloud - http://www.palac.de/ - http://www.neoouija.com/ - Emusic.
  • 3526970085-1.jpg

Latest in the series of huge free compilations from FutureSequence - Heinali, Direwires, Machinefabriek, Maps & Diagrams, Field Rotation, etc. 41 tracks.

The pattern before has been to have these free for a while and then start charging for them, so get it while it's hot.
  • edited March 2012
    News from Bad Seeds (Nick Cave) violinist, Warren Ellis' band:

300x300.jpg
    - "Even fans of Australia's the Dirty Three might admit that their sound has a limiting constancy about it. The trio's restless instrumental rock has pitted Jim White's free beats against Mick Turner's guitar against Warren Ellis's libertarian violin since 1992. The D3's last effort, 2005's Cinder, was uncharacteristically mild-mannered, prompting fears that they might have run out of things to say. But their eighth outing reaffirms their wordless eloquence. Opener "Furnace Skies" blares out a kind of weepy punk free-jazz, one riddled with ancient mitteleuropean melancholy. Extra-curricular piano on tracks like "Ashen Snow" provide additional nuance on this saturated beauty of a record."
    - The Guardian. - Streaming @ Quietus.
  • @BN

I'll have to give that a listen. I totally agree with the first half of that Guardian review. I enjoyed a couple of DT's early albums, but got tired of More Of The Same a while ago. I still recall seeing them play an impressive show at Denver's Bluebird Theater back in the mid/late 90's... but, admittedly, I was kind've ready for the show to end about twenty minutes before it actually did. They played a generously long set, with plenty of emotion and willingness, but the same sound over and over again can get a bit tedious.

I'll be interested to hear what they've got to say now and, more importantly, how they say it.

Cheers.
  • edited March 2012
    de60101.jpg
    - "The release of Iron marks the sixth anniversary of Yann Novak relaunching Dragon’s Eye Recordings, the record label originally created by his father Paul Novak in 1989. In previous years, this anniversary compilation has been a chance to look forward to the coming year of artists and releases. With Iron, we will be looking backward at the previous 6 years.

For Iron, artists featured on Dragon’s Eye were asked to contribute either a solo piece or a collaboration with another Dragon’s Eye artist. The results came together as a massive free download compilation, consisting of 24 artists, on 20 tracks and over 2 1/2 hours of sound. The compilation came together as a perfect mix of the styles and voices featured on Dragon’s Eye over the last 6 years."
  • Have been looking forward to this one with great anticipation.

41yGh2nT-qL._SL500_AA280_.jpg
    Pjusk - Tele. Glacial Movements Records, release due March 13.
    Pjusk is Rune Sagevik and Jostein Dahl Gjelsvik from the west coast of Norway - both from small villages close to nature. The sound of Pjusk is inspired by the harsh Norwegian weather and wild landscape. At the center point of the collaboration between the two is an old cabin high up in the mountains. This is where most of the music of Pjusk is made - framed by snowy peaks and the sound of cold streams. The album "Tele" (the Norwegian word describing frozen underground water) is a natural progression from the album "Sval" released on the US label 12k in 2010. Inspired by the arctic wilderness, Tele is a journey of snow, ice and cold.
  • edited March 2012
    And this sounds pretty interesting too, new release from prolific, Seattle-based Panabrite:

1293169327-1.jpg
    Panabrite is the solo project of Seattle-based Norman Chambers, utilizing analog synthesis, vintage drum machines, various effects and occasional guitar. Inspired by science fiction, new age music, soundtracks and library production music, nature/science documentaries, and vintage electronic sounds...

His first lp release Sub Aquatic Meditation is an exciting record replete with underwater tunes. The outer space & the deep blue sea collide into two sides of spellbinding adventures reminiscent to the early work of Oneohtrix Point Never, Jürgen Müller and Dolphins Into The Future.

Panabrite works in the hazy, analog-synth-laden zone between kosmische drift and new age waft. He launches beatless symphonies of fibrillating, smeared whorls and drones that make you feel like the star of a weird nature documentary or a sci-fi blockbuster from 1977. Chambers excels at evoking both the intimate and the epic with his scrupulously wrought arpeggios and ostinatos.
  • Nicolas Bernier - Travaux m
  • edited March 2012
    300x300.jpg
    - "New York based ensemble Essential Music had a strong relationship with John Cage in his later years. This experience gives these recordings a special authority. Recorded in 1993-94, they are being released for the first time.

In 1987 John Cage began writing his “number” and “time-bracket” compositions, which became his primary compositional method for the remainder of his life. These works are named for the number of musicians participating, consist of the number of parts with no complete score, within which are various series of flexible time-brackets in which each musician is free to choose the beginnings, ends, and durations of one’s notes.

- Mode Records.

- A "must have" for Cage fans !
  • 300x300.jpg
    - "Errors of the Human Body is a feature film shot at the Max Planck Institute for Molecular Cell Biology and Genetics, Dresden, Germany. Written by Eron Sheean and Shane Danielsen and, directed by Eron Sheean, it stars Michael Eklund, Karoline Herfurth, T
  • edited January 2014
    - Very catchy stuff from the French label Clapping Music (Encre, My Jazzy Child, The Konki Duet):

a3741111304_2.jpg
    - "The members of the band were originally in the quartet Cyann & Ben. When singer Cyann quit the band early in 2008, the remaining three members renamed themselves Yeti Lane and guitarist/keyboard player Ben Pleng took over on vocals.[1] The name comes from records by two of their favourite groups, Yeti by Amon Düül II and "Penny Lane" by the Beatles.[2] Their eponymous debut album was released in France in 2009, and in the UK the following year. Shortly after the album's release, Loïc Carron (aka LoAc) also left the band, leaving Pleng and Charlie Boyer (aka Charlie B) to carry on as a duo. The band altered their musical direction, moving away from indie pop to a more experimental "shoegazing" psychedelic rock sound. The first fruits of the duo was the Twice EP, released in May 2010 and featuring a re-recorded version of the track on their debut album. Their second full length album, The Echo Show, is released on 5 March 2012."
    - Wiki
    - http://yetilane.com/ - Emusic
  • edited May 2012
    300x300.jpg
    Stephan Mathieu + Caro Mikalef - Radioland (Panor
  • edited April 2012
    Brand new from the Line imprint:

300x300.jpg
    France Jobin - Valence
    - LINE is proud to present a new work by Montreal sound artist France Jobin. Having released under her moniker i8u, Valence is her first release under her own name. Created entirely from transformed field recordings, this collection of three compositions has an elegant flowing simplicity. Slow harmonic modulations of a similar essence to the works of Eliane Radigue and Celer.

- "Valence is inspired by both the valence bond (VB) and molecular orbital (MO) theories.

An atomic orbital is a mathematical function that describes the wave-like behavior of either one electron or a pair of electrons in an atom. This function can be used to calculate the probability of finding any electron of an atom in any specific region around the atom’s nucleus. The term may also refer to the physical region defined by the function where the electron is likely to be.

Often, my compositions start with a feeling or emotional state. There is a likelihood of finding a certain emotion in a piece, but it is not guaranteed, nor do I know exactly when or where I will find it. The act of looking for that emotion in of itself will distort it. Although one would think experimental music grants complete freedom, when composing, I feel constrained by both my mental state and the way in which I build the piece.

I find an unlikely parallel in quantum theory and composing. The electron that can exist on a different orbital plain can never have it’s velocity measured or even its exact location known, due to the intimate connection between particles and waves in the wacky world of subatomic dimensions."

- France Jobin. - Soundcloud preview - http://www.francejobin.com/

th_9cb9181a30b9f32fdf16b165e34e2f7a_line_054_a.jpg
    France Jobin (b. 1958)
    - "Is a sound / installation / web artist residing in Montreal, Canada. Her audio art can be qualified as “sound-sculpture.” It reveals complex sound environments where analog and digital meet. Her installation/web art can be said to follow a parallel path, incorporating both musical and visual elements.

France Jobin has created solo recordings for Murmur (JP), bake/staalplaat (Netherlands), ROOM40 (Australia), nvo (Austria), DER (USA) and ATAK (JP). Her work appears on countless compilations. She collaborates with Tomas Phillips (sound artist) and Cédrick Eymenier (visual artist). Jobin’s installations as well as live performances can be “experienced” in various music venues and new technology festivals across Canada, the United States, South America and Europe.

She is currently curating the Montreal concert event/philosophy immerson. Her work continues to evolve as technologies enable her to create in new environments."

- http://www.lineimprint.com/editions/cd/line_054/

- There's a post about France Jobin's Surface Tension album under the i8u moniker on the previous page of this thread
  • edited March 2012
    300x300.jpg
    - Telefon Tel Aviv have mastered the art of balancing the bittersweet romance and occasionally excessive melancholy of so many '80s electro-pop pearls, dusting off their retro sleeves and presenting them in the form of lavish, melodic epics. The new EP features the intoxicatingly beautiful album opener "The Birds" in its original version and in two remixes that could hardly be more contrasting from Ellen Allien and Matthew Dear. None other than Cocteau Twins co-founder Robin Guthrie makes an appearance on "The Sky Is Black."
    - Soundcloud