emusers' standard lecture on good free stuff

Comments

• edited November 2013
    This is in Quicktime even though the file says m4a. It is playable in Winamp.
    300x300.jpg
    - "Archival 1991 originated as two compositions created in 1991 with analog and digital synthesizers. In the summer of 2003, the original analog recordings were then revisited and utilized as source material for this new work. While the original compositions have been reprocessed and combined via digital means into something different, I have attempted to maintain the general aesthetic of my sound work from that time period."
  • images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSvFD6wgwMnLiBViaNizwG5v3-iNTjpEGMGdFJTnexqVZSiX3lb

Thirty Days of the Dead, a new 320Kb Mp3 every day for November, with a "Guess the Venue" contest. Today is Shakedown Street, about 15 minutes of Shakedown Street to be precise.
  • originator.jpg

Brooke Waggonner- Originator, free at Noise Trade
  • bixiga70-LP-capa-divulga%C3%A7%C3%A3o-web-500.jpg

Bixiga 70, a decet from Brazil that combines Latin, Jazz, and Afro-Soul. Fun, and wild. (greg, you should get this one).
  • Thanks BT for this, it has been a total disaster this weekend as my hard disk went to meet its maker, at least virtually all my music was backed up, just spent the rest of the weekend getting back to normal after getting the computer repaired.

This has al least cheered me up a bit.
  • at least virtually all my music was backed up
    Virtually, as in on a virtual drive, nearly all of it, or in the classical sense, by manly endeavors?

Glad to know this is picking you up.

I've been checking out NYCTAPER, a blog of (approved) taped concerts. Many have excellent sound quality, and there offered in both mp3 (240 range) and flac. Downloading, however, is slow. I'll put up a list of my favorites in a few days.
  • edited November 2013
    My goodness, more than 2 hours to dl. 214 mb. that is sloooow !
    (app. 30 kb./sec.)
  • Thanks BT, downloading as I type.
  • edited November 2013
    AF06+Artwork.jpg
    Free Various Artists compilation from the Assembly Field label.

01 Silmus - After Waiting
    02 Maps and Diagrams - rASB
    03 Transmission 13 - Foreland
    04 Alonefold - Isolation Horizon
    05 Halftribe - I Can't Do This Alone
    06 Ashlar - Bluecoat Chambers
    07 Offthesky - Pseudo Symmetry
    08 Cousin Silas - Grid Reference 9.076
    09 Caught In The Wake Forever - Temple Walkway
    10 Brice Salek - Prehistoric Music
    11 Hilyard - Detritus
  • Also on Assembly Field, this one sounds nice too, also free:

the+last+day+artwork.jpg
    Tone Color is the solo music project of Andy Lomas from Manchester, UK.
    Recorded between October 2011 and September 2013, The Last Day is a collection of ambient / experimental tracks created using warm synth tones, guitar, virtual tape plugins and environmental sounds.
  • artworks-000063780198-gbwa4z-crop.jpg?8063923
    Bhob Rainey - Levitate
    Soundtrack to a short film by Leah Ross.
    - With Chris Forsyth: guitar

"Floating docks, a flag holder, playground equipment, hail, rubber gloves, linear congruential chaos, Xynthi, geese, one of those toys where you have a small tank with plastic things floating in liquid and you push a button that sends a little jet through the tank and the jet makes the things float.

Really, I just wanted you to have this."

Best wishes,
    Bhob
  • edited March 2019
    artworks-000046137830-en1v16-crop.jpg?8063923
    "Lektion III is a 1,5 hour-long journey through music history and beyond build from thousands of sampled pieces lifted off more than 250 old vinyl records from 51 different countries on six continents. A musical odyssey that blends everything from Moroccan traditional songs, Indian hymns and field recordings of Cameroonian Pygmies to forgotten Yugoslav psych, French avant-garde rock and early German electro into a dark and giddy, genre-melting trip.

Download For Free and Donate If You Like

We worked two and half years to make this. We haven’t been able to clear the copyrights and hence can’t sell Lektion III on Itunes, Spotify, Boomkat etc. and won’t get any royalties. Please help us keep working – we are grateful for even the smallest contribution.
    http://densorteskole.net/lektion-3/
    - "“A spectacular bastard (…) where Den Sorte Skole rolls out an impressive map of samples. A global ghost-orchestra, where voices and sounds of the past and from completely different places and cultures come together to jam. Isolated elements from old records are fascinatingly merged like they were destined to meet each other and keep the collective sub-consciousness of musical culture together."
    - Information (Danish newspaper)
  • Scarlet Begonias > Fire on the Mountain. Don't forget to grab the last of the Day of the Dead downloads, today's is 20 minutes long! Only one day left for the promo.
  • a2198866373_2.jpg
    Another Guvera-ton of free ambient music from Future Sequence, Sequence7. Get it while it's free.
  • edited December 2013
    a2859408020_2.jpg
    Been out a while, but latest DiN label sampler is announced as free only until the end of December. Other DiN releases on sale til then too, though not super cheap. The samplers are usually good. Analog synth stuff.
  • "Too Loose in Toulouse" = The Nicholas Payton XXX in a great-sounding live French radio broadcast. Posted several weeks ago, but the DL link still appears to be live.
  • edited December 2013
    Just in case anyone other than me enjoys listening to hip hop in other languages, here's a free self-released EP by a Norwegian rapper that I am quite enjoying.
    97539881-8b64-43a8-bc02-61e06ea94da5.jpg
    Look for the line that says "Kaveh - Alt Eller Ingenting EP (Last ned GRATIS her)" and click on "her".
    Judging by google translate the lyrics are pretty standard fare. But it doesn't matter, because they are in Norwegian... It should also be said I am no connoisseur of hip hop beats.
  • edited December 2013
    Re: hip hop in other languages:
    L:Ron:Harald - M
  • Free Chris Herbert release (email required for the download link) on Room40

v300_drm423_herbert_wintex_cimex_83.jpg
    Wintex-Cimex 83 is a collection of four pieces taken from the same source material as the forthcoming album, Constants. Although emerging from the same sound-world, these four oblique, highly personal works stand alone as experiments in stasis and function as a sibling release. Recorded between 2007 and 2013, the material was assembled in fragments: a continually evolving and shifting process that allowed refinement and reworking of idiosyncratic recording and compositional techniques.

Thematically, these works are informed by "radar, dying stars, aeronautics, ailing short waves flickering in the troposphere, the ghost of JG Ballard". The pieces extend Chris' long-standing interest in the extensive manipulation of found sounds and environmental sources. Vertical movement and flecks of cellular detail hint at the implication of rhythm within subtly shifting sound layers.
  • edited December 2013
    - Also on Room40:

v300_DRM424_SP_PIANOACTS.jpg
    SPYROS POLYCHRONOPOULOS (WITH ANTONIS ANISSEGOS) - PIANO ACTS
    - "Spyros Polychronopoulos is a tireless experimenter. Restless with convention he seeks to uncover that which lies in parallel to the well trodden path. That which is reachable, yet still, so often overlooked.

With PIano Acts, he creates swelling masses of treated pianos. Compositions that expand and contract with an unerring sense of pace and Taking cue from American Minimalism, he burrows further into reductionism examining phase and looping at both macro and micro perspectives. The results of this examination speak to his skill as both composer and technician.

Collaborating with Antonis Anissegos on two of the pieces, Polychronopoulos Piano Acts is a timely reminder of the profound nature of tonal percussion, time and treatment."
  • 300x300.jpg
    - According to the other board, only available in €urope . . .
  • edited December 2013
    Hand picked from the other board
    Big_Happy_Holidays-150.jpg
  • Thanks Doofy. I've downloaded the last three entries on this thread today - I must have at least 4 or 5 hours of music
  • edited December 2013
    I'm sure I have posted this before, but Niels Frahm's double piano performance reminded me about this brilliant version of:
    top.09.jpg
    On October 2006, Russian pianist Peter Aidu performed this composition with an absolutely unique technique. While playing on two pianos, with a left hand on one instrument and the right hand playing separately on the second piano, he was recreating the sounding of two performers! This fantastic act was accurately recorded, and now is available exclusively on top-40.org. . . .
    aidu.jpg
  • edited December 2013
    From reading this article that somebody (maybe GP?) shared a while back about musicians surviving on Spotify, I discovered dj/rupture (one of the interviewees) has a large chunk of his catalog available for free download. Gold Teeth Thief! Minesweeper Suite! Uproot! And lots more; this is great stuff.

Oops; I put the article link as the free music link too! [/fixed]
  • edited December 2013
    Steve Collins, the founder of English Folk label Stone Tape Recordings, has made many of the recordings by Owl Service, his former band, on NYOP (no email required) at Bandcamp. It's good Folk Rock, a little samey in the arrangements, but nonetheless solid. I recommend
    a1190976792_2.jpg
  • Thanks BT, quite a number there, will keep me going for a few hours!!
  • Great! I was afraid you were already on a road trip, and this post would be long forgotten.