emusers' standard lecture on good free stuff

Comments

The Open Well-Tempered Clavier, Book 1 by Kimiko Ishizaka, is now available for free/NYOP download on bandcamp. It follows on from the earlier Open Goldberg Variations, which was very good. It was funded Kickstarter style in order to make the music freely available.

"This is the Open Well-Tempered Clavier - RECORDING AND SCORE - set free by fans like you!
    The download includes a 4-page booklet with cover art, and liner notes from Kimiko Ishizaka. There are also photos taken during the recording session.
    You can download this recording for free - click "Buy Now" - but you can also decide to support Kimiko Ishizaka and pay whatever you like. The recording is licensed with the Creative Commons Zero - public domain - license. Share this music freely with others to promote the love of Bach."
  • edited October 2015
    Reposting - Pay what you want / Free for an email:  

- "Back in the day, it wasn’t all that difficult to put together an album entirely out of samples—well, from a legal perspective, at least. And for every thinkpiece about how we’ll never get another Paul’s Boutique or Since I Left You, there’s a found beat built in to Den Sorte Skole’s ballistically weird 2013 LP, Lektion III.

Today, the Danish duo announced the release of Lektion III‘s followup, Indians & Cowboys. The album is comprised of over 10,000 samples from 350 records that were released in seventy-five countries, and they include Iranian horns, Sufi chanting from Senegal, Italian throat-singing, and about 9,997 more. Like the best of Lektion III, lead single “Heli Yosa” expertly brings these elements together into a cohesive whole, a kind of global hodgepodge that serves as a polyglottal call to dance.

Lektion III managed to skirt the copyright police by not being released through the major digital channels, and it appears that Indians & Cowboys will be employing the same legal strategy; the album is exclusively available through their label, the cheekily named Finders Keepers.

In addition to composing Indians & Cowboys, Den Sorte Skole have been busy serving as composers in residence with the National Danish Chamber Orchestra, which the duo says has increased the depth of their compositional ambitions. Additionally, they’ve compiled a thirty-page book mapping the origin of every single snippet of sound found on Indians & Cowboys."

Flood Magazine       

• Fifth House Ensemble - Fresh Inc 2014 UWP Final Concert 

Free to download at Noise Trade for a week

• edited October 2015
    Free to download this weekend.
    There are 320 releases on Projekt and an additional 130 on the Archive reissue label. That's a lot of amazing music. As the years rush by and releases drift back into the haze of time, they often get lost on the digital shelf. It's kind of sad that this great music is trapped as unaccessed bits on a server somewhere. A few nights ago as I was listening to the 2001 Alio Die / Amelia Cuni collaboration APSARAS I thought that this beautiful album is sort of unknown to  current Projekt fans. Mulling over a solution to this, I thought, "I should give this away!"
  • Oh boy.  Past Label Love compilations have been awesome.  This one seems to focus on world music

• In case there's anybody interested who doesn't already have it (besides me), there is a free Google Play Exclusive Version of "Thriller"
  • Heh, thx, Doofy, me neither, so why not?
  • I grabbed it too. Who knows, I might even listen to it one day.
  • Well, I am adding these songs to my big mega-Soul playlist, so I will hear them!  In particular, I have always liked "Human Nature"...Had no idea it was on this album, which I doubt I have ever heard all the way through.  I hear and enjoy the J5 more than I have ever Michael's solo stuff 
  • Not available here, but I've got it and do play it occasionally. As one of the all time top sellers you will all recognise one or two songs - Human Nature and Billy Jean spring to mind.

• It occurred to me that people on this thread might not know about the CMJ Mixtape downloads. Every month they offer about 15 new commercial tracks. It's gotten so that I've internalized the reminder to download these so I never forget anymore.  https://www.cmj.com/mixtape/

About Thriller, I confess I have never listened to it before (aside from the obvious hits). Didn't find it too impressive  (but thank you google!) . By the way, I didn't recognize the song title "Human Nature" so I googled "Human Nature." The number 4 search result was the Michael Jackson video. 

• Vijy Iyer covered this tune a couple of albums ago
  • edited November 2015
    Doubleposting for the record and for an excellent band:

This image has been resized to fit in the page. Click to enlarge.

Tigue - "Peaks" (Radio Version) 

- The album is here.  

ETA: 

The Necks - Live at WFMU 2/10/2009

• edited December 2015
    "This mix includes tracks from Miasmah´s (soon 10 years of) existence.":
    Vapor (a Miasmah mix)
    - mixed by Svarte Greiner

Tracklist :

Volcano The Bear - Horse (from Commencing, 2015)
    James Welburn - Hold (from Hold, 2015)
    Encre - Plexus II (field recording excerpt from Plexus II, 2006)
    Eric Thielemans - River (from Sprang, 2014)
    Svarte Greiner - White Noise (from Black Tie, 2013)
    Kreng - Monkey side A (excerpt from Works for Abattoir Férme, 2012)
    Andrea Belfi - Su Linee Rette (from Natura Morta, 2014)
    Simon Scott - Ashma (from Navigare, 2009)
    Gareth Davis & Frances-Marie Uitti - Stained (excerpt from Gramercy, 2012)
    Kaboom Karavan - Road Map (from Short Walk with Olaf, 2007/2013)
    B/B/S/ - Gather Part 2 (from Half Moon 7", 2013)
    Kreng - Stef in Rome (from Monster 10", 2012)
    Elegi - Søvnens Kvelertak (from Sistereis, 2007)
    Gabriel Saloman - Mine Field(from Soldier´s Requiem, 2013)
    Gultskra Artikler - Krovinka Moya (from Kasha Iz Topora, 2007)

• edited December 2015

- For a limited time, I guess . . .

ETA: The url is a newsletter, perhaps it only works for me (it has my name on it)
  • edited December 2015
    For Emu subschribers:

Guten Tag, this is Bureau B

• edited December 2015

Really nice, moody, slightly ominous piece. Free download.

"Cello+Laptop is an experimental ensemble exploring the sound dialogues between classical instrumentation with electronic sound. The project was born in Valencia (Spain) and consists in a series of experimental compositions mixing the ambient sonorities of Edu Comelles projects and the textures and acoustic of the cello by Sara Galán"
  • K7 Collective Holiday Gift 2015 cover art

Ignore the twinkly Christmas lights - Just one holiday tune (and that by the Souljazz Collective) on this new multi-label sampler
  • edited December 2015
    Soundcloud:

The best of 2015. One track from each

Bureau B release. 14 tracks FOR FREE!

• edited December 2015

Don't know much about Andra, except that she is an up & coming R&B artist whose album is free at Google Play
  • edited January 2016
    One of my favorite labels, Dronarivm, has a free new compilation out with some great artists: (no email required)

Includes Pjusk, Porya Hatami, Wil Bolton, Elegi, Christopher Bissonnette, Dag Rosenqvist, Autistici, Maps and Diagrams, Machinefabriek, Olan Mill, and more.
  • Cover art 

Free at Google Play - the Andra Day album above is still there too
  • edited January 2016
    From The big O:

Norway 2014

". . . While [Anderson and Henriksen’s] first meeting gave hints of what the two might go on to produce together – Laurie’s feisty fiddle playing, Arve’s whispering trumpet – Fennesz’s remix showed no mercy and fuelled a high speed take-off in partnership with a key figure at Punkt, lighting designer and live visuals wizard Tord Knudsen. Out of this Fennesz hinted at the lyricism we had heard in the concert with plaintive guitar chords. The audience was breathless. . . ."

• edited January 2016
    Germanprof, here's a link to the compilation album you recommended which actually works :) 
    https://dronarivm.bandcamp.com/album/into-the-white-new-years-2016-free-compilation
  • thanks, IP. I was having trouble getting the link function to work for some reason that day, and an extra http got left behind. I fixed it now.
  •  
    Darren McClure - The World is Made of Words
    For fans of minimal drone/glitsch.
    Fourth album down at the link.