Freshly Dropped/Discovered over at eMu

Comments

• edited December 2015
    Zap! (Music for Van de Graaff Generator, Tesla Coils, Instruments & Voices) album cover  
    PERFORMERS 
    Robert Black ... bass 
    David Cossin ... percussion 
    Felix Fan ... cello 
    Christine Southworth ... voice 
    Philippa Thompson ... voice 
    Eddie Whalen ... guitar 
    Evan Ziporyn ... keyboards & clarinets 
    Van de Graaff Generator and Tesla Coils operated by Jeannine Trezvant. 

- "The sound of electricity at its rawest and most majestic - sparks, booms, lightning bolts, sizzling corona and low hums from giant motors - intermingle with the sounds of cello, bass, guitar, piano, clarinets, percussion and voice. 
    Christine Southworth created Zap! in 2004 to explore these possibilities, using the Boston Museum of Science's Theater of Electricity as her venue and instrument. Its centerpiece - MIT Professor Robert Van de Graaff's eponymous Generator, was born in 1931 as one of the world's largest atom smashers. It is still the largest of its kind in the world, standing forty-feet tall and producing up to 1.5 million volts of electricity. 
    Zap!, a composition in seven parts, takes the sounds of this machine, two large Tesla Coils, and a Jacob's Ladder, merged with rock rhythms and sweet melodies performed by Robert Black, David Cossin, Felix Fan, Philippa Thompson, Eddie Whalen, & Evan Ziporyn. The resulting music is ... electrifying!"

- "Christine Southworth (b. 1978) is a composer and video artist based in Lexington, Massachusetts, dedicated to creating art born from a cross-pollination of sonic and visual ideas. Inspired by intersections of technology and art, nature and machines, and musics from cultures around the world, her music employs sounds from man and nature, from Van de Graaff Generators to honeybees, Balinese gamelan to seismic data from volcanoes.

Southworth received a B.S. from MIT in 2002 in mathematics and an M.A. in Computer Music & Multimedia Composition from Brown University in 2006. In 2003 she co-foundedEnsemble Robot, a collaborative of artists and engineers that design and build musical robots. She is the general manager of the MIT-based Gamelan Galak Tika, and has composed several pieces for the group and performed at venues including Lincoln Center, Carnegie Hall, EMPAC, the Cleveland Museum of Art, several Bang on a Can Marathons, and the Bali International Arts Festival. In 2010, she helped design Gamelan Elektrika for her piece Supercollider, which was premiered at Lincoln Center Out of Doors Festival with the Kronos Quartet. In addition to gamelan, she studies bagpipe, playing both the Galician Gaita and the Great Highland Bagpipe.

Southworth's compositions have been performed throughout the U.S., Europe, and Indonesia by ensembles including Kronos QuartetGamelan Galak TikaCalder QuartetBang on a Can All-StarsGamelan Semara RatihCalifornia EAR UnitAndrew W.K., and Ensemble Robot. She has received awards from the American Music CenterUCross FoundationLEF FoundationAmerican Composers ForumMeet the ComposerNew England Foundation for the Arts (NEFA), the MIT Eloranta Fellowship, and Bang on a Can and has been a fellow at UCross Foundation and The Hermitage Artist Retreat.

She has four recordings available on Airplane Ears Music: Zap! (2008) and Gamelan Galak Tika: Bronze Age Space Age (2009), Christine Southworth String Quartets (2013), performed by The Calder QuartetKronos QuartetGamelan Galak Tika, and Face the Music, with support from the American Music Center CAP Recording Grant, and In My Mind and In My Car (2013), for Evan Ziporyn on bass clarinet, electronics and video."

http://www.kotekan.com/video/zap.shtml   

• edited February 2021

Holy shit !
  • edited February 2016
    Discovered:

Neos Music 2008
  • edited March 2016
    Dropped and discovered:

eRikm & Martin Brandlmayr - Ecotone

eRikm cdj & electronics
    Martin Brandlmayr drums

- "Both musicians have been active in the scene of improvised and experimental music for twenty years, both have been astounding their audiences with their intricately developed playing manners. Now they joined their forces on this album.

eRikm, based in Marseille, started his musicial activities as a virtuoso turntablist in early 90s, gradually shifting his focus to more abstract music, sometimes abandoning turntables or substituting them with minidiscs or CD-turntables. His recent record output includes collaborations with Catherine Jauniaux, Norbert Möslang, Michel Doneda, Jerome Noetinger, dieb13, as well as solo albums Variations Opportunistes, Sixpériodes, Stème, Lux Paylettes, Transfall and the most recent Select Archive. Ecotone is his third project for Mikroton, following Stodgy and Mal Des Ardents / Pantoneon.

Martin Brandlmayr, from Vienna, is known for his inhuman capability of overprecise percussion playing which at the same time retain a deep humanity and produce a beautiful sound. He’s the driving force behind the superb trio Radian, who have released records on Mego and Thrill Jockey, the improvising trio Trapist with bassist Joe Williamson and Martin Siewert, the longrunning legendary quartet Polwechsel (along with Werner Dafeldecker, Michael Moser and Burkhard Beins), and other projects like Autistic Daughters (with Dean Roberts and Werner Dafeldecker) and Kapital Band 1 (with Nicholas Bussmann). Ecotone is his second project for Mikroton, following El Infierno Musical quintet’s album with Christof Kurzmann, Ken Vandermark, Eva Reiter and Clayton Thomas.

Opening with an Apocalypse — a dis-covering where everything is assembled anew, where a snare drum gets dismembered. The drums instantly reanimate into a new body without organs, opening a breach, opening a space. The drummer lifts his sticks and hits; a vertical landscape emerges inbetween, unidentified as it first breaks into the ears, as some atmospheric depression: variations in grain, tracing, electronic mass — disparate energy where some new chemistry arises, all between skin and memory. Each impact, each collapsing, each crumbling of the surface sets anew the fiction of the encounter, of the game; devoid of catharsis, but definitely vital."

Mikroton Recordings 2014 - Bandcamp

• edited July 2016
    Discovered and excellent:

Drawn Only Once represents the New Amsterdam debut for accomplished duo Due East (Erin Lesser, flute; Greg Beyer, percussion) and innovative new music composer John Supko. The album contains two pieces, Littoral, written for the duo, and This window makes me feel, both coupled with cutting-edge videography byKristine Marx and Don Sheehy, respectively. The pieces explore, among other things, Supko’s interest in field recordings, and computer-generated randomness of harmonies and melodic material. The multimedia pieces are presented in both CD and 5.1 surround sound DVD formats.
     -"Littoral melds the lustrous timbres of flute, electronics, and an impressive array of percussion with texts by contemporary Dutch writer Cees Nooteboom and 16th Century English writer Richard Hakluyt. Supko calls Littoral “music of shifting terrains, each with its distinct sense of time and color and space… more alluring than any destination plotted on a timetable.” These impressions are realized by flute alto flute, piccolo, an array of unorthodox percussion instruments, and synthesized field recordings of the sea, Supko’s voice, and the voice of a poet. Marx’s entrancing video accompanies the piece with rapidly changing geometric forms superimposed over transient oceanic landscapes. This window makes me feelis based on Robert Fitterman’s brilliant poem of the same title, which makes use of completions of the poem’s title based on hundreds of Google searches, chronicling a vast range of humane poetic sensibilities. The work includes pre-recorded mezzo-soprano (Hai-Ting Chinn), keyboards (David Broome), and other electronics. Sheehy’s video accompaniment captures the hysteria of the congested cityscape with short clips clandestinely captured on the streets of New York that visually amplifies the pre-recorded poetic whispers of Fitterman’s poem."

New Amsterdam 2011 - Bandcamp

supko-johnjpg
    JOHN SUPKO
    - "is a composer of contemporary classical and electronic music, with a particular interest in computer-generated randomness. He claims to seek “constant variety while maintaining constant identity.” He holds music degrees from Indiana University and Princeton University, and is the recipient of numerous fellowships and awards, including the Fulbright, the BMI Student Composer Award, and two ASCAP/Morton Gould Young Composer Awards, and a Meet the Composer Grant. Supko has written music for the Ciompi Quartet, FLUX Quartet, and NewAm recording ensembles Due East and Newspeak. He is currently an associate professor at Duke University."
  • edited July 2016
      - Discovered:

M album cover

MIA ZABELKA is a sound artist, violinist and vocalist from Vienna, who creates hauntingly sensual music and is regarded as one of the leading 21st century proponents of what is known as experimental violin music.

MIA ZABELKA’s projects show her exceptional mastery and a deep understanding of the violin, be it acoustic or electric, solo or as part of a collective.

In her hands the boundaries of this instrument fade and paths to uncharted sonic territory open, as she bends genres, the conventional use of electronics and the human voice to expand the spectrum for her to paint her musical language in.

Live in concert MIA ZABELKA is an electrifying performer. In any context, she has the uncanny knack of commanding the stage and always being the centre of an audience's attention, achieved by the intensity and focus of her performances, rather than any gratuitous showmanship.

At the age of seven, MIA ZABELKA discovered the violin. She was eager to find out how this musical object could produce interesting sounds when touched with a wooded stick strung with horsehair. Zabelka was already able to play works by the fabled virtuoso Nicolo Paganini in her first year of instruction on the instrument and at 12 was the youngest member of the Austrian Youth Orchestra.

During her classical training with Alexander Arenkov, an assistant of David Oistrach, at the Vienna Conservatory of Music, she already began to play with various jazz and rock bands.

With her inborn curiosity for the new and all that was unexpected MIA ZABELKA then turned to the study of electroacoustic music at the University of Music and Performing Arts in Vienna , creating a foundation on the basis of which she continues to construct and explore the limits of sound and music in a language entirely her own.

She frames her musical language on the violin from her body’s gestures, i.e. physical movement is spontaneously translated into sound. She also transfers this access to the improvisation with her voice. The violin and her own voice and body are transformed in the process into sound bodies which are at once organic and primal, screaming, lyrical, composed and explosive. The sound of MIA ZABELKA has always been both instinctive and fuelled by a love of melody and microtonality. Zabelka is clearly a woman who knows her instrument – quite literally – inside out, and she’s as unafraid of approaching it with a fresh sensibility and an impassioned commitment to exploration as she is capable of drawing upon an unusually broad range of influences. Zabelka loves to make journeys into the unknown and unexpected sonic territories.

Her openness to the most varied musical directions and eclectic artistic influences have resulted in collaborations with numerous prominent international artists including John Zorn, David Moss, Pauline Oliveros, Elliott Sharp, Dälek, Audrey Chen, Maria Chavez, Robin Rimbaud aka Scanner, Lydia Lunch and Electric Indigo among many others. .

She has been the artistic director of phonofemme Vienna, an international festival of female experimental music and sound art, since 2009.

In 2007 MIA ZABELKA founded the Klanghaus, a center for sound and interdisciplinary art at her house in southern Styria/Austria. The Klanghaus is a meeting point for international and local artists and hosts the Klang.Zeit festival four times a year.

Recent concerts and performances at many international festivals and venues, such as Störung Festival/Barcelona, Donaufestival/Krems, MADE Festival/Umea, Wien Modern Festival/Vienna, Ring Ring Festival/Belgrade, Sajeta Festival/Tolmin, RaRa Festival/Siracusa, Mia Festival/Lisbon, All Frontiers Festival/Gradisca d'Isonzo, CoC Art Festival/Torun, Long Arms Festival/Moscow, VNM Festival/Graz, Mopomoso/London, Sonic Circuits Festival/Washington DC, Issue Project Room/New York, Cafe Oto/London, Nuit d'Hiver Festival/Marseille, strefa monotype/Warsaw, AAVE Festival/Helsinki, Avantgarde Festival/Schiphorst, Henie Onstad Museum/Oslo, Oorsprong Curator Series/Amsterdam, Festival Musique Actuelle/Victoriaville, Audiovisiva Festival/Milano, Flussi Festial/ Italy, Incubate Festival/ the Netherlands, among others.

MIA ZABELKA currently plays solo and collaborates in duos with Audrey Lauro, Gino Robair, Philippe Petit, Sofia Härdig and Zahra Mani, with video artist Mia Makela, in trios with Medusa’s Bed feat. Lydia Lunch/Zahra Mani, Astma feat. Olga Nosova/Alexei Borisov, TRIO Mia Zabelka/ Nikola Hein/ Sebastian Gramms, TRIO BLURB feat. John Russell/Maggie Nicols/Mia Zabelka, PHON feat. Andreas Willers/Meinrad Kneer/Mia Zabelka and Quartet feat. George Headow, Albert van Veenendaal and Raoul van der Weide.

She is currently working on her new solo album “M/2”, which will be released in 2016, as well as on albums in duets with Philippe Petit, Audrey Lauro and Asferico.

- Link.

https://soundcloud.com/miazabelkamusic

• edited June 2016
    From 2015 and freshly discovered, featuring Maya Beiser and composed by Paola Prestini, a new composer to me.
    - An album that definitely would have been on my 2015 list.
    (recommended to @RonanM if you're still lurking)

. . ."Paola Prestini’s newest video album,"Labyrinth," is composed of two half-hour long solo works for strings and electronics. The first work, House of Solitude, is performed by violinist Cornelius Dufallo and features Keith McMillen’s “K-Bow,” a bow that has built-in electronic sensors to help guide live electronics. Video art for House of Solitude is by Carmen Kordas. The second work on the album, Room No. 35, is performed by cellist Maya Beiser. . . ."

- "Both pieces in this set explore a wide variety of styles, jumping between rhapsodic, neo-classical and motor driven pop-like sections. Dufallo and Beiser both do a formidable job of keeping up with the genre leaps, adjusting their playing to fit each stylized section. Prestini takes the listener on an almost schizophrenic journey that traverses a wide spectrum of emotion and energy. . . ."
    WQXR

Part One, House of Solitude, is written for violinist Cornelius Dufallo and occurs in an installation-like setting on stage. Three scrim walls are used to project video by Carmen Kordas, who will create a three-dimensional hologram to represent the solo performer’s thoughts including solitude, extreme communication and connectivity, and the ultimate search for one’s self. . . . ."

Part Two, Room No. 35, created by Paola Prestini, Maya Beiser, Erika Harrsch and Michael McQuilken, is a sculptural multimedia experience inspired by Anais Nin’s surrealist novella “The House of Incest” and features the preeminent cellist Maya Beiser. . . ."
    - Much more at Visionintoart

Paola Prestini’s music takes the listener on a journey through different life experiences, creating an aural and visual map of the different countries and cultures that have inspired her. These travels sonically reflect the impact that collective identities, cultures and values have when they meet and dissolve in a person whose artistic roots are the collective sum of many parts.

This culminates in a romantic vision told in the form of calls to prayer, spirituals, narrations, and electronic resonances that come together with visuals to create Prestini’s unique voice.

As the Founding Artistic Director of VisionIntoArt, a NY-based interdisciplinary arts company, I have spearheaded, collaborated on and produced numerous new music projects and events for the past ten years. This work has taught me about the balance of respecting others’ ideas, of letting certain ideas go, and how to differentiate between them so as not to compromise artistic integrity. My love in the artistic and executive process is bringing disparate voices together, and allowing the synergy that emerges to grow. I have brought this inclusive vision to all of my curating, with a focus on new music, and interdisciplinary art. I am unswayed by trends and yet excited by all voices; I strive to stay ahead of the curve, and I am tremendously interested in nurturing new talent. I founded my nonprofit, VisionIntoArt, with the belief that artists can provide opportunities for other artists, and that the skills we have as creators can be translated into producing and directing talent.

I am also currently the Creative Director for National Sawdust, a Brooklyn based venue slated to open in 2015. Bringing this venue to life has brought me great joy, and it’s performances have landed on New York Magazine’s Best of the Year list, and our programs partnerships have been thrilling.

I am a composer, a producer, and a teacher. My influences range from Zorn (his music, his life) and Glass, to Beethoven, Palestrina, and folk music. I have dedicated the past fifteen years to collaborating, and I have learned that collaboration can be an arduous process, and it is the balance of respecting people’s ideas, how to let certain ideas go, (and how to know which ones you will not let go) that allows you not to compromise your artistic integrity. Collaboration is an art in and of itself that can only be learned by doing it, making the necessary mistakes. My role in the process is my love of bringing disparate voices together, and seeing what emerges from the synergy. I continue to evolve because I see how different people ingest these new experiences-their rawness to the experience often enlightening certain parts of the collaborative process that were not clear to me before. Each artist’s passion for their ideas reminds me that redefining the boundaries in collaboration is a lifelong process and is absolutely connected to the project at hand, and that even in the hardest collaborative processes, ones identity is not lost, only rediscovered and reaffirmed.

Literature has played a huge role in my writing-it has always been my first collaborator; I love painting music on these canvases-the ideas on the page invite me to play and to think. It began with Neruda and Borges at a very young age, and now, I am actively reading the blog of astrophysicist Mario Livio, pouring into Jung’s Red Book, and am rediscovering the epic, Gilgamesh and the poetry of Brenda Shaughnessy.

When I write, after an initial process of often puzzling mechanical work (finding the language I want to use, and the outside sources that will be incorporated), I am in a state of flow: I often cannot remember the details of writing. It is as if all the years of experience come together to transport me through the process of expressing the cumulative inspirational sources into the musical concept at hand. These moments pay for all the hard work! They are the best moments of my musical life, and even though each musical project has a different entry point, that moment of flow occurs in each experience.

• Big new drop from Steeplechase Records - ! Where to start??
  • edited July 2016
    Goodness, some good stuff there at good prices. Thanks, Doofy.
  • edited July 2016
    Emusic just posted another double booster sale on their message board.
    ps- Oops, that was EDT.
  • edited September 2016
    Freshly discovered because of the brilliant Jasmine Guffond

-

- "A long awaited release from Sydney's Minit culminates in a masterpiece collection of spectral drone music.

With their unhierarchical approach to the use of 'found' sound, a fuzzed out electric bass line sits neatly alongside field recordings of atmospheric hum - their individual sound qualities overriding their semiotic value, so that each sound, representing a layer, shimmers and swells within Minit's evolving, sonic habitat.

Now Right Here, the title track as well as the album, is about being caught in the moment. From fragile harmonic and melodic intonations to towering, ecstatic drones and electrical disturbances this album captures a balance betwen noise and harmony, excitation and calmness, distance and intimacy - drawing you into a hypnotic, psychedelic sound-world that belongs uniquely to Minit. Now Right Here is a fragile, immersive and emotional album."

- "Minit is Jasmine Guffond and Torben Tilly formed in Sydney in 1997. They use electronic, digital, sampling and mixing technologies to manipulate recorded and "found" sound and to transcend conventional instrumental approaches to musical composition. 

Minit's debut full-length cd ‘music’ on the Sigma Editions label in 1999 saw them tour throughout Europe the same year alongside Vladislav Delay, Parmentier and D. Haines. In 2000, they released the ‘cc/bb’ lp on Sigma Editions and toured Europe again with a Sigma staple of artists. Minit have released a 7" on Cologne-based label Tonschacht, and individual works on various compilations including Motion: Movements in Australian Sound on Sydney-based label Preservation.

Guffond and Tilly also collaborate on soundtracks for film and surround sound design projects for gallery and museum-based installation. Previous to Minit, Guffond was a member of improvised ambient electronic duo Hiss who independently released a CD in 1996. She also played bass in the electronic/rock group Alternahunk recording and releasing a CD on the Dual Plover label in 1997. Tilly's musical career began in New Zealand in 1990 with the rock group The Garbage & The Flowers releasing a single on US label Twisted Village in 1991, a full-length album on US label The Now Sound in 1997 and several songs on NZ and UK compilations before Tilly moved to Sydney in 1993 to pursue interests in sound art and installation."

- Staubgold 2004

• edited September 2016
    Just to note there was a bunch of new stuff on Clean Feed at eMusic first thing this morning (ie, probably posted yesterday) - The first 8 or 9 on this list sorted by release date. I know nothing about any of them, except that Clean Feed is always worth checking out. Can these all really be "new releases"?
  • edited September 2016
    Thanks,
    This link is much better.

- The Elliot Sharp seems to be new.
    https://cleanfeed-records.com/product-category/new/

• edited November 2016
    Discovered:
    Since 1960 the composer Arne Nordheim has enchanted both musicians and audience with a unique soundscape. His music may be considered a source to the later Nordic Sound of electronica. Today's DJs might not willingly announce "Grandfather taught me this", but that's actually the case!

Nordheim's music is recently re-vitalized by publications like Dodeka and Electric by the renowned Norwegian label Rune Grammofon, and Nordheim Transformed by Biosphere / Deathprod. CIKADA DUO and 2L now bring you the world premiere recording in surround sound, as originally intended by the composer.

CIKADA DUO is Kenneth Karlsson (piano/synthesizer) and Bjørn Rabben (percussion). They are joined by Åke Parmerud (elektronics) and Elisabeth Holmertz (soprano) in this production of Arne Nordheim's music. Take the stand within the percussion and let yourself be embraced by electronica, vocal and synthesizers in an extreme surround sound recording, produced by the GRAMMY-nominated Lindberg Lyd 
    - 2L - 2007

Arne Nordheim
    - has been one of the most conspicuous figures in the musical landscape of Scandinavia during the past fifty years, and is recognized as a very successful pathfinder. He has written works in most genres, inspired by the general European search for new sonorities within the traditional body of instruments. Nordheim was absorbed by the electro-acoustic medium for a period, during which purely electronic works alternate with soundscapes which electrophonic sounds are opposed to percussion or other acoustic instruments. In 1997 Arne Nordheim was elected honorary member of the International Society for Contemporary Music. Both Nordheim and CIKADA have been awarded the Nordic Council Music Prize in respectively 1968 and 2005.

The CIKADA DUO has a desire to unite fresh interpretations of existing works with new pieces written specially for them; an ambition to combine an acoustic sound world with the best that the electroacoustic has to offer. The Oslo-based Cikada Ensemble was founded in 1989 and is considered one of Europe's leading contemporary music groups. The ensemble consists of ten musicians, and under the Cikada banner, Cikada Duo is one out of three autonomous formations. In 2005 The duo has worked with many composers including James Dillon, Rolf Wallin, Richard Barrett, Carola Bauckholt, Bent Sørensen, Arne Nordheim, Sven-David Sandström, Jon Balke, James Clarke and Kevin Volans. They have over the years built up an extensive repertoire of Italian works by composers such as Giacinto Scelsi, Luigi Nono, Luciano Berio and Luigi Dallapiccola

• The majority of the Cuneiform label is back ! . . . Jay !
    http://www.emusic.com/browse/album/all/label:1502920/?sort=newest

• edited November 2016
    Dropped:
    Have a Marijuana album cover

• Oh yes,

- Fatcat is back with an abundance of old stuff, also here:
    130701 (FatCat Records)
  •  From 2011 and freshly dropped:

La vie en prose is Michel Chion's first musical work composed in the 2000s.

Thanks to musique concrète ways and means, it fulfills the composer's childhood dream of composing a Symphony of Energy in four movements of sharp contrasts. There’s no narrative in this one hour and a half long Symphony, but a cast of characters, some vocal, instrumental themes and sounds that circulate, disappear, pop up, stretch, decline and lose themselves in time.

This work features analog and digital sounds that have been carefully collected for 40 years.

"Peppered with deadpan allusions to genre classics and pop music, humorous asides, some bold juxtapositions and often absurd shifts in register, and unexpected detours, (...) [La vie en prose] sustains its duration admirably, with expert control of pacing and momentum, interweaving a celebration of the sonic fortuities of everyday life with a surgical investigation of the perceptual process of hearing."
    The Wire #327, Nick Cain, May 2011

• edited December 2016
    Discovered because of this one

Soundwalk Collective - Sons Of The Wind

Recordings from Gypsy villages in Ukraine, Moldavia, Romania, Bulgaria, Macedonia, Serbia, Hungary, Slovakia, Austria

Exile and movement are central to the Roma identity. Their history is written in an universal language: music. Played and sung, handed down spontaneously from generation after generation, it ignores national borders.

The Soundwalk Collective followed the course of the Danube and of the music of the Roma, with its combination of Eastern and Western influences, from the Black Sea Delta to the river's source in Germany. From ghettos to mahale, on the trail of the Sons of the Wind, recording heart-rending songs, mournful violins, tinkling cimbaloms, the gutsy tones of brass bands.

Sounds accompanied by the words of the Elders, the rustling of long skirts, the wind in the delta plain, and, always in the background, the rumbling of the river. This is the origin of the sound poem Sons of the Wind.

The Soundwalk Collective is an international art collective based in Berlin & New York City. Since 2000 they have been sonic nomads, embarking on never ending journeys from the desolate land of Bessarabia to the desert of Rub al Khali. By exploring and documenting the world around us through its sounds, the Collective abstracts and re- composes narrative sound pieces through fragments of reality to form distinct audible journeys.

The Collective's live performances are diverse and often site and venue specific. They use a combination of custom-cut vinyl records with multiple turntables, tape machines, laptop computers or custom designed modular systems. Although sound and music are the primary forces in the live setting, projection of video specific to each performance piece creates an environment that is unescapable and unique. Live performances are also transformed into temporary or permanent installations.

Aesthetic refinement and conceptual narrative is paired with a performative impulse, making Soundwalk Collective's shows intimate and powerful. The Collective's recent installations and performances were shown at Centre Georges Pompidou (Paris); New Museum (New York); National Museum of Singapore NMS; ARMA 17 (Moscow); Berghain Panoramabar (Berlin); MUDAM (Luxembourg); Florence Gould Hall (New York); CTM Festival 2013 & 2014 (Berlin) just to name a few.

- Asphalt Tango Records 2014

• edited December 2016
    Sons of the Wind is not available at emusic US, but there is a great deal on it elsewhere.
    There's also a video here:

Thanks, @Brighternow
  • Just back from holiday travels, so 'scuse if mentioned before but worth noting that Tzadik seems to have returned to eMusic, after years of absence. I don't know much about this label, so will be interested to hear from those who do! Dave S. shares some thoughts in this messboard thread 
  • edited January 2017
    Doofy said:
    Just back from holiday travels, so 'scuse if mentioned before but worth noting that Tzadik seems to have returned to eMusic, after years of absence. I don't know much about this label, so will be interested to hear from those who do! Dave S. shares some thoughts in this messboard thread 
    Jay ! ! ! Wow ! ! ! and all the rest of it ! . . .
    From the drop:
    '
    Stephanie Chatet: Flute
    Arthur Gordon: Cymbals, Gongs, Bells, Chimes
    Valerie Kajelnikov: Harp
    Sylvain Kassap: Clarinets, Soprano Saxophone, Bass Clarinet
    Ingrid Kuntzmann: Cello
    Luc Leroy: Cymbals, Gongs, Bells, Chimes, Vibraphone, Marimba
    Pierre-Yves Macé: Vibraphone, Samples, Piano, Treatments, Glockenspiel, Marimbas
    Yann Mace: Cymbals, Gongs, Bells, Chimes, Marimba Editing
    Herve Trovel: Marimba
    Dan Warburton: Piano

Four startling studio compositions by an extraordinary young French composer. Born in 1980, Pierre Yves-Macé began as an improviser, played in jazz-rock prog bands, studied classically, accompanied dance classes and has composed electronic music for theater, dance and the martial arts. Faux-Jumeaux, his first CD release, brings the aesthetics of French romanticism into a head-on collision with sampling technology, electro-acoustics and minimalism. A lyrical, adventurous mix of styles and sounds, this is an astounding debut recording by a strange and wonderful new musical mind.
    - Tzadik

• Tzadik....there's goes a booster pack.
  • "Tzadik....there's goes a booster pack." ...And a bit!!! I've just finished 1 booster and now this. Not sure the label was ever available in the UK previously. Hell I had to visit the Downtown Music Gallery! Many thanks for the heads up Doofy. My wife's divorce lawyer will be writing to you shortly.
  • edited December 2019
    Discovered:

Mondo Fluido collects two major compositions from Christina Kubisch which,  until now, have been unreleased. Extensive liner notes & photographs detail the origins of the work. Heavy drones and deep emotions run through these newly discovered pieces.

"In 1980 I had the possibility to make some professional recordings on an eight track tape in an Italian sound studio for the sound track of the film "Liquid movie" by Fabrizio Plessi. Some months after having finished the sound track I listened to the material again and suddenly felt the desire to make a new piece out of the material, which would be free of the limitations  of a cinematic sound track.
    I made several new downmixes of the eight track tape and treated some of the sounds with a speed control device, one of the few tools which I had available in my own studio at that time.
    The sound sources are flute (alto and bass flute) played by myself, the sounds of swinging plastic tubes in the air, the recordings of the windscreen wiper ("tergicristallo") of my old car, the sampled sounds of glass and of my own breathing. Just pure instrumental sounds and some "field recordings",  no electronics.The piece is a quiet piece of ambient music, an acoustic landscape, unspectacular and yet intense. I called it "fluido", which is the Italian word for liquid or fluid. Then I forgot about it.
    The tape was in my archive all these years with the remark Mono Fluido  on the spine. Only recently I decided to digitize it, despite the mono tag, and I listened to it again. Eventually I thought the piece deserved to be published after almost 30 years.
    Although mono is kind of a dinosaur in the world of multichannel fiction I like the simplicity and clarity of it and I hope the listener might share this experience."
    - Christina Kubisch
    Important Records December 2010

- "Christina Kubisch belongs to the first generation of sound artists. Trained as a composer, she studied painting, music (flute and composition) and electronics in Hamburg, Graz, Zürich and Milano, where she graduated. Her work can be described as the “synthesis of arts” - the discovery of acoustic space and the dimension of time in the visual arts on the one hand, and a redefinition of relationships between material and form on the other. Kubisch is best known for artistically and innovatively using techniques such as magnetic induction and ultraviolet light to create and realise her work.Since the 1970’s Kubisch has been experimenting with electromagnetic induction and was one of the first to use this method for creating sound installations. Some of her most well know works include the Electrical Walks series, where audience wear magnetic headphones, specially designed by Kubisch, with built-in coils that respond to electrical fields in the environment. Tapping into the electrical fields that result from light systems, anti-theft security devices, surveillance cameras, cell phones, computers, antennae, automated teller machines and other electric devices, she uses these visible sources to create unique and new sensory environmental experiences.

In the mid-1980s, Kubisch began to incorporate light as a compositional tool in many works, for example in the installation Skylines at the documenta 8, Kassel; the underground installation Klang Fluß Licht Quelle on Potsdamer Platz in Berlin and more recently Licht Himmel a permanent light sound installation at Gasometer Oberhausen, Germany. Since 2003 Kubisch has begun to work again as a performer and collaborates with various musicians and dancers, one of whom is Lotta Melin, with whom she will be co-facilitating the Lisbon workshop. An internationally recognised artist, Kubisch has shown work at major international exhibitions and festivals (Venice Benniale, documenta 8, Kassel, Ars Electronica, Linz, Sydney Benniale, Sonar, Barcelona and Sonic Boom, London) performing around the world she has received numerous grants and awards and her music has been realised on various labels such as Cramps Records and Edition RZ. Kubisch has been visiting professor in Maastricht, Paris and Berlin and since 1994, is currently the professor for sound art at the Academy of Fine Arts, Saarbrücken, Germany."
  • edited June 2017
    Another Tzadik goodie:
    For bass flute, harp, cymbalum, cello and four-track tape
    commissioned by Festival d’Automne à Paris 2012
    Stephanie Chatet: Flute
    Nicolas Carpentier: Cello
    Esther Davoust: Harp
    Simon Drappier: Double Bass
    Maxime Echardour: Cimbalom
    Camille Giuglaris: Cello
    Cédric Jullion: Bass Flute
    Pierre-Yves Macé: Electronics, Piano, Samples, Treatments, Studio Processing
    Augustin Muller: Vibraphone
    Rafaëlle Rinaudo: Harp

- "Commissioned by the Festival d’Automne à Paris 2012, Segments et Apostilles was written for the wonderful players of l’Instant donné. “Apostille” (apostil) means: what is appended on a previous text, in the form of a footnote, of a marginal note. Sometimes, what is said there, while being seemingly hidden, happens to be at least as important as what appears in the body of the text. In my composition, where electronics “footnotes” are continually appended on a musical text made of instrumental fragments, one is unable to say which part is leading and which is following the other. If not the sound, at least the composing method has to do with a previous piece of mine, Circulations (2003-2005): I first wrote drafts for each instrument, then recorded them separately, composed a tape part out of the sounds, on which finally the instruments were invited to play. Here the (almost) constant clicking of electronics acts like an index of how it was all made (cutting, moving, sequencing sonic blocks), as well as it brings the typical sound and "guests" of experimental electronic music into the context of written chamber music. The electronic is nothing here but an atmosphere or a background texture: it is an integral part of the musical discourse, each note of which being notated on the score. As the composition took shape, both “segment” and “apostille” became the names I gave to two different types
    of material: the first consisting in a sharp dialogue between the whole ensemble and electronics, and the second, duets associating an instrument to the “ghost” of another one."
    - PIERRE-YVES MACÉ

L'Instant Donné

• edited June 2017
    Discovered:

- "Visions' is the title of this artist.cd. Visions in which the past and the future merge, are the subject of the 'Apokalyptische Vision 2000 für Chor, Sprecher und elektronische Klänge' [Apocalyptic Vision 2000 for choir, narrator and electronic sounds] the texts of which have been taken from the Book of Revelations in the New Testament. This work was created at the suggestion of R. Kreile, cantor of the Dresdner Kreuzchor, who gave the first performance of this work with his choristers with great devotion. 'Lumière cendrée' has to be considered in an intuitive sense, an electronic composition the title of which means 'Reflection of the light of the Earth on the Moon'. Metallic sounds and singing voices (Tibetan monk/boy's voice) form the basis of a multi-layered musical discourse. The work was commissioned by the Festival Synthèse 2002 Bourges.
    The other two compositions bridge the gap between non-European countries. 'Kyoto Bells', a work of light sounds, full of resonance, the transparency of which possesses a strongly spiritual character, was created for the 1200th anniversary of the city of Kyoto. Characterized by an illusionary character, 'Trance or Lamento di Bali' is a work in which I used original samples of a gamelan that I had recorded during my study trip through Java and Bali and that are a testimony of a living culture full of subtlety and vitality."
    - Wergo 2011
    - More Jentzsch at Emusers

Absolutely breathtaking !