What are you listening to right now? (15 Flies in the Marmalade)

Comments

• David Bowie - Blackstar
  • Brown Immortal album cover
    From the emusic Beta site. One thing I have noticed is that some albums on the beta site are not available from emusic in the UK
  • edited March 2017
    I'll check it out . . . Thanks !

Right now, the amazing Grant Cutler again:

• Ravel Piano Trios
    My college library is having a recorded media sale. $1 per CD. Just picked up an armful.
  • Martin Newell - The greatest Living Englishman, produced by Andy Partridge from XTC, wonderful English whimsy, worth a listen
  • On Stage Vol 1 Live album cover

On Stage Vol 2 Live album cover

Enjoying the beta streamer
  • I was given Bruce Springsteen's autobiography for Christmas. I read a couple of chapters or so then and put it on a pile of books to read. It has now reached the top of the pile, so I've been playing albums relative to the stage of the book. I've just reached his first tour to London, so this morning I am playing

Hammersmith Odeon London 75

• edited March 2017
    Just in:

from KR032: Golden Diskó Ship "Imaginary Boys" (LP/DL) out march 24th 2017

#joe meek #pink floyd
    "A tribute to Joe Meek. English record producer, sound engineer and songwriter who pioneered space age and experimental pop music. He also assisted the development of recording practices like overdubbing, sampling and reverb. Meek is considered one of the most influential engineers of all time, being one of the first to exploit the use of recording studios as instruments, and one of the first producers to assert an individual identity as an artist."
    Released by: Aphagia Recordings

From the new album, Unbound. Coming March 17, 2017 on Sono Luminus and New Amsterdam Records
  • Peace album cover

Newer Steeplechase addition. On the beta site, this is mis-categorized under the name of the bassist, Lisle Atkinson - apparently because his name starts with A. Drummer is Andrew Cyrille.

With A Tribute To Bu Good To Go album cover

Once you start poking around in Andrew Cyrille's catalog, you can go a long time without stopping.
  • Scratch that, Black Saint/Soul Note aren't on the beta site yet. But Knitting Factory is...

Kingdom Come album cover

• Peace album cover
    Enjoying this, Doofy, thanks. It's 2.99 at Google Play.
  • edited March 2017

Released by:Release date:
    2 December 2016
  • Everything I Love album cover

I just want the app to endlessly play me selections from the Steeplechase catalog. Thoughtfully selected by mood and tone. With occasional but unobtrusive info about the artists, recordings, and context. Is that too much to ask?
  •  httpsf4bcbitscomimga0571878404_14jpg

Bundle Of Flames

by Tuluum Shimmering

• Image result for alva noto for 2
    Alva Noto - For 2
    Did a lot of music library tidying/deleting yesterday and realized that this album, though on my hard drive, had somehow disappeared from my iTunes library. Which would explain why I have not heard it for a long time.
  •  
    httpf4bcbitscomimga1436444303_14jpg  

Stranger Forms by Son Lux

• edited March 2017

• I have to go find my own info on the artists and recordings. I might add, What a frickin' country, driving away some of our greatest musicians if they wanted to lead a normal life. AAJ link

Although this set appears as part of Storyville's excellent In Copenhagen series, it was actually conceived in Helsingør, where Jordan would practice on an old upright piano in the basement of the public library. He wanted to record the album there, but unfortunately a few of the upright's strings were slightly out of tune, so instead he cut it on a Steinway at Copenhagen's Focus Studio. 

• edited March 2017

The Lightbulb Ensemble records "Pomp," composed by Brian Baumbusch.

httpsf4bcbitscomimga1041879753_14jpg
    From a live performance on Oct. 30, 2015, at Pioneer Works in Red Hook, Brooklyn. The Oakland-based Lightbulb Ensemble's process-based minimalism takes inspiration from the sounds and structures of Balinese gamelan, moving it in a new direction. NYC-based Ghost Ensemble was formed to perform their own music and the music of Pauline Oliveros, and focuses on creating meditative experiences.

This album is pay-what-you will. Any funds will go toward providing future high-quality live recordings of Indexical concerts. Thank you to the artists and composers for making their work available.

• Image result for the instruments of the middle ages musica reservata
    Found this lurking in a folder, I think it's from one of the Bach Guild boxes. A fun listen.
  • Love that recording. Also, Martin Bookspan used to have a weekly radio show back when NPR was a liberal future-looking organization called Composers Forum which I faithfully listened to every Sunday back in the early 70s. Modern composers speaking about their work when they often had no media outlet to convey their interests. You can hear the one with Milton Babbitt here.

Consider this David Munrow recording too:

• edited March 2017
    One thing I learned was that I love the sound of the rackett. It made me wonder about the etymology of the term - my grandmother always used to refer to any excessive noise as "kicking up a racket". Etymology online says for that kind of racket:

racket (n.1) Look up racket at Dictionarycom
    "loud noise," 1560s, perhaps imitative. Klein compares Gaelic racaid "noise." Meaning "dishonest activity" (1785) is perhaps from racquet, via notion of "game," reinforced by rack-rent "extortionate rent" (1590s), from rack (n.1). But it might as well be an extended sense of "loud noise" by way of "noise or disturbance made to distract a pick-pocket's victim."

Not sure if this is the right word, though. Another site says the instrument "derives from the german word for "crooked"" but I wonder if that is wrong - it's true of the krummhorn but I can't think what German word for crooked would give you rackett. I love the idea of playing a "rackett", and I love that it is also called a sausage bassoon.

I see that it is still possible to buy them, though they are not cheap.

ETA, ah, I see it's a RaNckett in German.

• Dal Libro de Balli di Giorgio Mainerio
    Glauco Venier - Dal Libro de Balli di Giorgio Mainerio

Just discovered this quite by accident. Jazz/Renaissance. Great fun.

This discussion has been closed.